AW's Super-Dooper Newbie Pub Where Newbies Can Chat With Golden Oldies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aphrodite

Helium Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
I walk into the pub, and glance about.

Noticing only few scribes in various states of disrepair, I pour myself a coffee, and find only crumbs where I can assume the day's cookies were.

I toddles off to the paid gigs part of the site to retrieve the information to submit the marvelous culinary article I have written.

I muse as I leave "I am trying to get clips. The company that wants to hire me wants a bio. I don't feel as if I've lived yet."

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for inviting me in, it's chilly out tonight. Oh, Jed, I agree that Bailey's is good, and chocolate cake, but do you happen to serve the combo, Bailey's Irish chocolate cake? If so, I'd like a big slice of that.
We do have that cake in the pub. Well, there was some here earlier. Hmm, wonder where that could of (have) gone?

Any thoughts?
Yes. They mainly revolve around cakes and cookies.
Noticing only few scribes in various states of disrepair, I pour myself a coffee, and find only crumbs where I can assume the day's cookies were.
Can't believe those crumbs were just left there. I'll get right on that. *Licks crumbs off table* That's much better.

Broamalia

Registered
Reaction score
On the road of writing, some things that look like pot holes actually turn out to be filled with quicksand. Case in point- took 30 minutes of research to write a sentence the other day, when I suddenly didn't know if I should say 'look out the window', or 'look out OF the window'.

(Turns out it's a brit vs. yank style thing, which changed in the us around the fifties.)

Just wanted to throw that out there. A toast! To useless hindrance!

SunshineonMe

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
On the road of writing, some things that look like pot holes actually turn out to be filled with quicksand. Case in point- took 30 minutes of research to write a sentence the other day, when I suddenly didn't know if I should say 'look out the window', or 'look out OF the window'.

(Turns out it's a brit vs. yank style thing, which changed in the us around the fifties.)

Just wanted to throw that out there. A toast! To useless hindrance!
No fun! I would just write it the first way and keep going, and address it later during editing.

What are you writing about?

Broamalia

Registered
Reaction score
No fun! I would just write it the first way and keep going, and address it later during editing.

What are you writing about?

Too right, Sunshine. It's a bad habit of mine to get hung up on silly things... especially vexing when trying to write Sci Fi stories that stick to a semblance of accuracy...

Which is why I've set that aside and am currently working on a sort of fantasy (thanks for asking!). It's a young adult, generally following the archetype of 'teenage boy with newly emergent power/ability is discovered by a stranger who brings them out into the world to learn, grow, and eventually help to combat evil force.' (Dunno if that story type has an official name).

It's a little different, in that much of the early story involves the boy's grandparents being dragged along, and also there is no evil force, just a blindly catastrophic, yet sacred force. It revolves around a whole ecosystem of creatures (some tiny, some vast) that drift freely between dimensions of probable existence, and don't really interact with normal matter, except rarely (like neutrinos). The interactions can be really devastating, however, so that's the conflict.

Last edited:

JimABassPlayer

only four strings
Registered
Reaction score
Since I didn't get to mention all the Shakespeare plays I HAVE read and love, three cheers to anyone who loves the Henry plays as much as I do!

I thought Henry IV part 1 was great, but didn't care for part 2 at all. Overall, I also thought most of the three plays about Henry VI were good, but (like the rest of Shakespeare's histories) bore little semblance to the actual history they were supposedly portraying (much like when Hollywood does "history"). :)

And who doesn't enjoy that sneaky Richard III who was distorted textually and physically in history as written by the victors...ah...*wipes a tear* brings me back, it does. Or there's everyone's favorite misanthrope in Timon of Athens, bloody bloody mahem in Titus Andronicus, the witty snipes between Beatrice and Benedict...good grief, I could get distracted.

Concur that Richard III was a smear campaign to curry favor with the Tudors, but nonetheless, an excellent bit of fiction. :banana:

I was equally disillusioned after reading Timon of Athens (probably the intent), but then anyone with open eyes should see how favor gravitates toward success while shunning failure. How's the adage go? "Success has a multitude of friends, but failure is chased and bitten by a pack of rabid monkeys" -- ??

IMO Titus Andronicus was absolute rubbish.

Found Much Ado About Nothing to be one of his funniest and wittiest plays. :)

Oh, and whoever mentioned the "exit stage left chased by bear"... I LOVE that stage direction. Right up there with figuring out the flying contraptions mentioned, the demons coming up from trapdoors and all other wonderful sundries in the Elizabethan stage...

Was never quite sure what to make of A Winter's Tale.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Oh, I love Titus Andronicus.

*swings axes, severing hands, heads, tongues, etc., of entire dramatis personae and leaving them scattered over stage*

*Exits*

SunshineonMe

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Too right, Sunshine. It's a bad habit of mine to get hung up on silly things... especially vexing when trying to write Sci Fi stories that stick to a semblance of accuracy...

Which is why I've set that aside and am currently working on a sort of fantasy (thanks for asking!). It's a young adult, generally following the archetype of 'teenage boy with newly emergent power/ability is discovered by a stranger who brings them out into the world to learn, grow, and eventually help to combat evil force.' (Dunno if that story type has an official name).

It's a little different, in that much of the early story involves the boy's grandparents being dragged along, and also there is no evil force, just a blindly catastrophic, yet sacred force. It revolves around a whole ecosystem of creatures (some tiny, some vast) that drift freely between dimensions of probable existence, and don't really interact with normal matter, except rarely (like neutrinos). The interactions can be really devastating, however, so that's the conflict.

Sounds very interesting and wildly complicated with world building!

Kuranes

Registered
Reaction score
*Walks in, newspaper under arm. Sees theater props, Shakespeare plays and limbs scattered all over the pub.*

Did a theater company start a war to take over the pub or something? Whatever happened, I'm sure Cassandra had a part in it. :D

*Gingerly steps over severed limbs and other assorted body parts on his way to the bar. Pours a mug of coffee and sits down at his favorite table. Sweeps a manuscript of Othello and a stray ear off the table and onto the floor. Opens newspaper and begins reading.*

I never get invited to the fun parties..... :(

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I serve women, too.

Actually prefer that, but, yanno, can't be choosy.

:D

Also, you want served, right, not severed? Because that's how I read that first.

Aphrodite

Helium Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
I saunter into the pub. Glancing through the dimness, I notice the dimness is dimmer than it was on my last visit.

I find that the once rather dingy window has been bricked over. Yet, slcboston's words echo off the freshly set masonry which has been colored to appear as if it is still a window,
You double post...

Which is probably a hazard of narrating yourself. Those film noir private eyes make it look so easy, don't they?

I say to the bartender, "Double Bombay Sapphire when you get a chance, please."

I turn to find slcboston gazing at me from a now more poorly lit corner. I say, "Yes, I double post. Sometimes. It happens. It could happen to you, too, someday. It could happen to you when you have a day like I had yesterday; chasing cheeses all over Quebec!"

I adjust a golden lock of hair, lowering my curves onto the barstool. I sip my gin. I raise my voice slightly in frustration, perhaps touched with some desperation from deep within me.

"You should try it sometime. It ain't easy."

My eyes widen.

"I ain't easy either."

I take a more deliberate swallow of the premium gin.

"And you know what, it ain't any fun having to narrate yourself for more than a minute." I calm again, the heat of the gin rising in me, relaxing me.

"But I do it. It's my job to do it. Today was easier. And, I have a glass of gin."

Aphrodite

Helium Refugee
Registered
Reaction score
As my eyes adjust, I notice a play on the bar in front of me.
I read softly, out loud to myself, "Dramatists' Play Service, New York, New York. A Midsummer's Night Dream, by William Shakespeare"

I turn away from the bar, addressing slcboston "Hey, look at this! A Shakespeare play. My favorite! Aww, gee, I haven't read this in a century! Well, a coupla years, anyway." I hold the small booklet aloft, so slcboston can see it.

I am distracted by a spot on my ivory linen skirt. Another crimson drop suddenly appears next to the first spot. "Hey!" I say.

I turn the script around, and the back cover and several pages are sopping wet with blood. I drop the script to the floor. My eyes have adjusted to the scant light, and before me around the floor of the pub, I see the horror of dismembered limbs, lying in pools of blood. I shriek, loudly, "Eek!"

A drunken and passed out wordsmith stirs in another corner booth across the room, and passes out again.

I reach into my bag, gripping my Smith & Wesson Detective's Special, but not drawing it.

"Did you see this? Theres been a murder. Murders! Did you call the police?"

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Crap, were we supposed to be doing "A Midsummer Night's Dream?" I totally thought we were doing "Titus Andronicus." So sorry! My bad, absolutely.

*looks around at dismembered corpses*

Er, there's got to be a corpse or two in "A Midsummer Night's Dream," right?

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
*twirls axes thoughtfully*

*absentlymindedly beheads sheep*

Hey, you know, Aphrodite...if we can't work the corpses into "A Midsummer Night's Dream," and you're not into doing "Titus," we could always do "Macbeth" or "Hamlet" or something. I'm pretty sure we'd need some bodies for that.

I mean, no reason the whole theater season has to be ruined, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.