The Neuro-is-a-butthead finish-it challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
Since August:

Completed second draft of an historical Western (sitting at 164,000 words now).

Finished the first draft (although some are on second draft) of a collection of short stories set in my fictionalized Western county (91,000 words and 14 stories).

Got other things in the works, but those are the two completed things that meet the criteria.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Electronically submitted short story Blood Oath to two publications early this morning. :)

I plan on submitting to some more when I get up later today. :)

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
After a weekend of frantic editing, I submitted a 9900-word story to True Love magazine today.

ETA: True Love accepted the story on Nov. 19 for publication in their February 2009 issue. Yay!

Last edited:

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I have numerous novels in various states of completion, and I finished "Sins of the Father" in September. 3rd draft, 125K words. I'm about 1/3 of the way through revising the manuscript, while working on the first draft of "Fit for a King" and getting ready to start NaNoWriMo. My progress is a wee bit slow at the moment because I'm in the middle of moving from Virginia to Japan, but it's progressing. :)

Adam Hammonds

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adam-hammonds.com
I completed my novel of 111,000 words 3 weeks ago. Which began my search for an agent. Which brought me here.

Thank God every Web site I enjoy hasn't been that difficult to come upon.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Neuro, I'd never call you names!

Age 15: my first book, a Choose Your Own Adventure style book, 121 pages/

Ages 16 to post-college: 100 plus poems, some of which were good.

After having son: 78K word young adult novel
Many articles
Graphic novel (72 pages).

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Let's see--since August.

I completed the final draft of two (contracted) novels in August(both fantasy,both over 110k). Did first edits on one in September and finished a novella(cruising in right at 55k--fantasy). Completed final edits on one novel and finished a third novel(110k--paranormal thriller) in October, while beginning (and getting 70k written on) a co-writing project (horror) as well as 80k on an individual project(contemporary romance), I have done the final proofs for the novel being released next month and have done the first edits on the second novel from August.

No short stories yet--for some reason my mind doesn't work that way.

chrysalnix

Registered
Reaction score
This past week I submitted a short story for one of the Writer's Digest contests.

Reaction score
I haven't finished anything in ages, and he has a guylinered avatar, therefore, FizzyNeurons is not a butthead. :D

ETA: Wait. This just in.

He's changed his avatar!

Therefore, NeuroFizz is officially a butthead.

Last edited:

RainyDayNinja

Registered
Reaction score
I finished my WIP yesterday, and it did a rolling dive to squeeze into novel-land at 40,585 words.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Well I happen to think Neuro is a lovely human being, but I'll post here nonetheless...

Just two weeks ago I finished my 87k word manuscript, Tribulation of Heroes. It's the fourth book in a series (see sig), each book being around 88k words. I'd say about 5k of those words birthed easily, the rest was sweaty labor and pushing with no Epidural.

I'm actually rather numb now. I don't have the ever-present spectre of writing this series hanging over my head for the first time in three years and now I'm working on a much lighter manuscript with hopes of finding a real publisher. At least I've proved to myself that I can finish a large writing project - something I never would have believed and certainly doubted every step along the way.

And yes, I plan on starting a self-congratulating thread once the book is available for purchase.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I finished The Trivium, and submitted it to my publisher. It's a shortish book about grammar, logic and rhetoric and has taken me far too long to write. Now I'm going to write two proposals, and finish novel number four.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Finished editing "The Interrogator" with my publisher (well ahead of schedule). Will be released August 2009 by RH.

Also finished and submitted a short story for an antho.

JJ

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I have numerous novels in various states of completion, and I finished "Sins of the Father" in September. 3rd draft, 125K words. I'm about 1/3 of the way through revising the manuscript, while working on the first draft of "Fit for a King" and getting ready to start NaNoWriMo. My progress is a wee bit slow at the moment because I'm in the middle of moving from Virginia to Japan, but it's progressing. :)

Finished moving to Japan, finished writing my NaNo novel, finished the first revision on the NaNo novel, submitted a query for the same novel, edited about 2/3 of "Sins of the Father", and have written about 20,000 words between my new vampire novel and a new erotic romance.

Multi-tasking rules, Butthead. :D

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
So, my short *romance* story will be published on Thursday 11 December - just on the web, and not paid, but it's the very first time I've attempted to get fiction, not journalism-related stuff, published. Maybe I haven't wasted the past two years on my first novel. Who knows!

SusanH

Registered
Reaction score
Finished my 62,000 word memoir and looking for an agent led me here to AW. I have been asked for a full and a partial, so now it is the waiting game. I also entered an essay to Writer's Digest contest this year. Didn't win anything or even an honorable mention....sigh....but my critics said it was very good.... I have started two other novels which I hope won't take me 7 years to write....Have the titles and outlines done.

Last edited:

Elidibus

Over 9000!!!!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
No. I can't come out to play. My muse won't let me
About two days ago I finished my current WIP. Clocked in at about 85K. Trimming that down over the next few weeks.

In my past years I have finished at least five novel length works, and rewritten at least three of those three times each in the following months and years. With sequels also over 70K. In all, I have written approximately 1,245,000 words. As such, I am officially ready to begin in the words of a famous writer who's name I forget =)

So, I'm starting with my just finished novel. We'll see how it goes

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Knocked out a short story after reading about a paying market here. Let it rest a couple days, did a one-pass edit, and submitted it.

Sold it. (With a typo, though. The shame!)

Maryn, kind of a butthead herself

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
Woop. I've been waiting to be able to write this for about a week now ^^.

I've finally completed my first draft of 'Twisted Temptation'. I'm hoping to boost it up to at least 55 - 60k, during the edits.

:D.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Since I just found this thread, since August --

I got a rejection on a story I'd submitted to Clarkesworld in June. I submitted it immediately to Strange Horizons; it was accepted.

I wrote a short story and sent it to Realms of Fantasy, where it still is, having made it past the slushmaster. On rejection I intend to send it to Clarkesworld, then Strange Horizons, then F&SF.

I wrote a short story and sent it to the Interfictions anthology, where it almost certainly will not be a good fit, but there's no harm in trying. On rejection I intend to send it to Realms of Fantasy (if I've heard back) or maybe F&SF.

I wrote a short story and sent it to Clarkesworld; on rejection, I sent it to Asimov's. On rejection I intend to send it to F&SF, most likely.

Wrote an essay for the Wiscon Chronicles; just responded to edits on that yesterday.

Since August, though, I've received acceptances on six pieces (three poems, the aforementioned short story & essay, and one other short story) and only written four (including the essay). I'm going in the wrong direction, and mean to change that as soon as I have a novel draft done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.