Status
Not open for further replies.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Words, mostly. I'd read the weather, but that's impossible around here. And, try as I might, I just can't read people worth a darn.

As for what I read... pretty much anything I stumble across. Mostly fantasy, though, because that's my first and truest love. Some sci-fi, a smattering of adventure and mystery, the occasional historical, and lately I've been poking at westerns, plus the odd nonfiction book. During downtime at work, I've been known to grab picture books from the tops of the totes. E-readers and public domain freebies are also tempting me back towards classics that I skipped in my misspent youth.

If you're morbidly curious what I'm reading now, check the link in my signature - there's a Currently Reading bit under the sidebar to the right. (Graceling, by Kristin Cashore, and a nonfiction title called The Forgotten Arts & Crafts, by John Seymour, to save the click.)

Last edited:

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
I read a lot of gothic poetry,dark erotica and horror fiction. I'm more drawn to novellas as well.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
I'll read pretty much anything, but I'm not so in to straight thrillers.

I tend to prefer fantasy, horror and historicals, but I don't limit myself.

I have a few catnip things, though. Female characters, LGBTQAI+ characters, Victorian Women in Trouble, Bad women and girls or pirates will always attract me to a book.

With non-fiction I tend to read things about historical murders/scandals and notorious or admirable women, or interesting little books about strange things (Like the book about the hidden things under London, or the book about the historical roots of Unicorns)

JoshMorris05

Registered
Reaction score
I love a good thriller or two. Horror books too because of the suspense built up.

I read mostly non fiction too, not sure if that counts ;)

ooo and biographies, but they are usually terrible.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I read mostly contemporary and historical romance, and some women's fiction...probably about a novel a week.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
I read mostly contemporary and literary fiction. Love books set during the war, and big character stories, magic realism, interesting cultural angles, love stories, sad stories, gritty realism, historical fiction, fictionalised biographical stories, and any sentence Hemingway ever wrote.

I start a lot of books that I never finish. I'm a picky reader and I have a short attention span. But if I love something, I will read it at the expense of all other activity, until it's finished. I love reading.

EarlyBird

Grinding it out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twentyfoursevenlife.com
Mainstream, crime, women's fiction, literary, historical, chick lit, mystey...in no particular order, although I gravitate toward WF. (I've read all but one of Picoult's book, and that one is on my end table in queue.)

Thinking about delving into some cozy mysteries to see what that's all about.

I've read romance in the past, but none in the last several years. I don't read fantasy, anything with vampires or demons, horror, or erotica.

I used to love SF, but have strayed. Would love to find some that mix modern culture with SF, but wouldn't know where to begin.

Last edited:

V.J. Allison

Sunny with a Side of Evilness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
When I do read, it's mostly CSI novels based on the TV show, or the expanded universe of Star Wars. I hardly ever read these days, because it messes up my own style when I'm writing.

Heretothere

Introvert Realism
Registered
Reaction score
Later today, I'm going to finish the last chapter of Erich Maria Remarque's Three Comrades. I'm reading Remarque's book, because an email friend of mine, spoke of it in a message to me.

And currently on "hold" for me, at my local public library branch location, is Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential book. My desire to read his book, is simply because, he seems like an interesting guy. And that's coming from a guy whom doesn't drink, nor care much for food either.

Simply put, food bores me. But, his show on CNN (Parts Unknown) is pretty amazing.

Last edited:

RikWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I read a lot of science fiction and fantasy, as that is what I write. I am making an effort to read some more self-published SF/F just to get an idea of what else is out there. My favorite authors in SF/F are Heinlein, Walter Jon Williams, SM Stirling, John Ringo, Larry Correia, Jim Butcher and Peter Clines.
I also read some military history...I think the last thing I read was The Last Battle by Stephen Harding. Also a big fan of the Liberation Trilogy by Rick Atkinson.
I used to read a lot of popularized science books, but nowadays I mostly get the stuff before it reaches that stage.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
You read, and you observe. Read the early books, read the current. Observe the world around you, imagine "why are they doing this?" or "Why does the Sun only come out during the day."

Specifically, I read Sherlock Holmes as a kid. I also read comics, initially in order to figure out how to draw them. But have since come to want to find ways to port some of the techniques to prose. Then of course my more recent reading experience with Cyberpunk.

I also read the Haiku Handbook. I tried reading how to write books, but many of the books had a voice that was far to abrasive as "my way is the only right way." How To Outline Your Novel, however is a treat.

I'm also reading a guy online, that has a more essay approach to writing book writing that combines his approach with humor and open mindedness.

Kayiin

Mekong giant catfish; Eating People
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.goodreads.com
I read some Horror fiction, less Fantasy (would like to read more) and Sci-Fi, plenty of ero-manga, and too much damned internet.

JRTroughton

Registered
Reaction score
I mostly read fiction and news. Typically read similar stuff to what I write.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Most everything except for science fiction and fantasy.

snowpea

Registered
Reaction score
I read mostly YA. But when I am writing a novel I do mix it up and read a lot of stuff with subjects that relate to the novel, so that may be any genre.

cylemmulo

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading a couple books on writing right now. Besides that I read horror, and fantasy mostly. I enjoy short story collections a lot, so I pick those up when I see them. Sadly though, i'm a terribly slow reader.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
Probably the most ironic thing I read, considering I write erotic romance, is biblical fiction. Then again, some of those Old Testament kings had HUGE numbers of wives and concubines, so there had to be lots of smexy stuff going on, right? :D

I also love political thrillers, satirical crime fiction, romance and romantic comedy, science fiction, fantasy and historical fiction.

Lady Chipmunk

Nut in Search of Rodents
Registered
Reaction score
Obviously I read a lot of urban fantasy and science fiction since that's what I write, but I also enjoy horror novels, anything about Dissociative Identity Disorder (just a random fascination of mine), and nonfiction for laymen in the sciences. Recently I've also been reading a lot about Cryptozoology because I am weird that way. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.