Bethany Walkers/Anfal Khaliq, serial plagiarist

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I'm Bethany Walkers, a very young author and student living in the UK. I've written two books, Show No Mercy and Race. I'm currently working on my third book, Crashed Into You...

The most books I've read in one day is ten. I love books. Deal with it! :)

At the moment I'm roughly 10% done with Crashed Into You :) I am on track for it to have an early release - maybe 1/2 months earlier.

When I'm done with writing Crashed Into You, I'm going to write a book called Save Me. After that, I am going to write a book called Chained. Then I am going to write a book called Dream Come True. :)
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7792667.Bethany_Walkers

Mercy! How on earth does she find the time to study?

Quite easily, actually.

Walkers' first book, which was published through CreateSpace, was released on 5th March. It opens with a poem, presumably by Walkers herself since it isn't attributed to anyone else:

When I lay and think, in my bed at night,
the day you'll arrive seems nowhere in sight.
I toss and I turn, dreaming of you,
opening my eyes...checking if my dream came true.

(And more in the same McGonagallesque vein.)

Two days later Walkers' second novel, Race, hit Amazon's virtual bookshelves. Impressive, eh? Her Goodreads page includes quotes from Race in the form of short poems, beginning with

It's a race of breaths,
A race of love and longing
It's a race of heartbearts,
My heart is racing on.

Anyway, back to Show No Mercy. It didn't take fans of the romance genre long to find a number of strange similarities between Walkers' novel and several books by Colleen Hoover, including the following:

"Sophie, I'm not kissing you tonight but believe me when I tell you, I've never wanted to kiss a girl more. So stop thinking I'm not attracted to you because you have no idea just how much I am. you can hold my hand, you can run your fingers through my hair, you can straddle me while I feed you spaghetti, but you are not getting kissed tonight."
From Show No Mercy

"Sky, I'm not kissing you tonight but believe me when I tell you, I've never wanted to kiss a girl more. So stop thinking I'm not attracted to you because you have no idea just how much I am. You can hold my hand, you can run your fingers through my hair, you can straddle me while I feed you spaghetti, but you are not getting kissed tonight."
From Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

"Okay. Would you rather I looked like Leonardo Dicaprio or Justin Timberlake"
"Ryan Gosling," she says.
She answers a little too fast for my comfort. "What the hell, Sophie? You're supposed to say Mitchell! You're supposed to say you want me to look like me!"
"But you weren't one of the options," she says.
"Neither was Ryan Gosling!"
From Show No Mercy

"Okay. Would you rather I looked like Hugh Jackman or George Clooney?”
“Johnny Depp,” she says.
She answers a little too fast for my comfort. “What the hell, Lake? You’re supposed to say Will! You’re supposed to say you want me to look like me!”
“But you weren't one of the options,” she says.
“Neither was Johnny Depp!”
From Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover

A quote from Show No Mercy on Walkers' Goodread page reveals that she didn't confine herself to Colleen Hoover's work:

“Babe, just confide in me your deepest feelings, tell me your fantasies, and they shall all be fulfilled. I will do anything it takes to make you happy because that is the only thing that matters to me anymore. You are perfect in my eyes, and there is absolutely nothing that I would ever change about you. I know that no one can be perfect but you, Babe, in my eyes, are as perfect as anyone could be. It leaves me amazed, yet blessed, to have found someone as special as you are."

This was lifted from a sample letter by Dr Mel Luthy:

Babe, just confide in me your deepest feelings, tell me your fantasies, and they shall all be fulfilled. I will do anything it takes to make you happy because that is the only thing that matters to me anymore. You are perfect in my eyes, and there is absolutely nothing that I would ever change about you. I know that no one can be perfect but you, Babe, in my eyes, are as perfect as anyone could be. It leaves me amazed, yet blessed, to have found someone as special as you are.
http://www.writeexpress.com/missin67.html

Every single quote from Show No Mercy was lifted from the same source.

You get the picture. But what about that introductory poem? A Google search turns up DOZENS of possible sources and attributions. It's been going the rounds for years. The oldest source I could find dates back to 2002: http://www.somaliaonline.com/community/topic/a-tear-on-my-pillow-37/

Walkers also plagiarized Hoover's own poetry from her book Slammed!

In addition, part of Show No Mercy's plot was lifted from the 2002 film Memento or its 2008 Bollywood version Ghajini. Which leads me neatly to the source material of Walkers' second novel Race:

Noah and Ronan are half brothers. They co-own a stud farm in South Africa. The brothers couldn't be more different; Noah is shrewd and volatile whereas the laid-back Ronan is in the grip of alcoholism. Owning a farm isn't the only thing that ties the brothers together; there are also women in their lives: Noah's long-term girlfriend Chantelle, who is an American ramp model, and Alice, Noah's personal secretary, who is in love with her boss. But true love doesn't always run smoothly, and both Chantelle and Alice become involved with the wayward brother Ronan. When emotions run high, violence often plays a role. Now, there is a murder, and a contract killer is on the loose. Who is next on the target list?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/149613902X/?tag=absowrit-20

Compare and contrast the synopsis with the plot of another Bollywood hit...Race:

A voice-over by RD (Anil Kapoor) introduces the four main characters: Ranvir Singh (Saif Ali Khan) who runs a successful business he inherited from his father. His younger brother Rajiv Singh (Akshaye Khanna) who mooches off of Ranvir and is an alcoholic. Ranvir is dating an upcoming model Sonia (Bipasha Basu), while his personal assistant Sophia (Katrina Kaif) appears to be secretly in love with him. Ranvir is also involved in an intense competition with a rival horse-owner Kabir (Dilip Tahil). The film opens with a murder plot involving a car accident which Ranvir narrowly survives. When Ranvir loses money in a race because his jockey had been bribed by Kabir, Ranvir plants a bomb in the jockey's car and kills him, showing Ranvir to be a ruthless businessman.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(2008_film)

Yes...Walkers couldn't even be bothered to think up an original title. The previously quoted poem from her novel Race is an English translation of Sameer's lyrics from the film Race! A couple of others are also Hindi song lyrics.

I've saved the best for last. You may recognise one of Walkers' poems from Race:

Whenever I'm alone with you
You make me feel like I am home again
You make me feel like I am whole again
You make me feel like I am young again
You make me feel like I am fun again
However far away, I will always love you
However long I stay, I will always love you
Whatever words I say, I will always love you
I will always love you
https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/39921437-race

Sounds familiar? No wonder - they're the lyrics of Lovesong by Robert Smith, written for the Cure but better-known through Adele's 2011 version!

I've long suspected that CreateSpace and other vanity/self-pub platforms are a gift to plagiarists, but this is a particularly egregious - and stupid - example. After being exposed Walkers took down her blog and website and vanished from Facebook and Twitter. With any luck Crashed Into You, Save Me, Chained and Dream Come True will never see the light of day.

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
It's absolutely astounding. Have these idiots never used Google?

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I notice you've posted two plagiarism stories today. Out of curiosity, are you affiliated with anti-plagiarism group? Or did you just happen to see both these stories in quick succession?

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
Wow...that's actually pretty frightening. I wonder how she thought she'd get away with plagiarism of that magnitude?
Do you know how much she was charging for the book, or whether she was charging at all?

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
From her Scribd page:

I'm Bethany Walkers, author of two bestselling books, Show No Mercy and Race. I'm currently working on my third book...
http://www.scribd.com/bethany6walkers

Show No Mercy is now "out of stock" on Amazon.com, but the paperback is still available on Amazon.co.uk for £6.99. A few reviews mention that the Kindle version cost 99 cents. Oddly enough, a couple of days ago I could have sworn that a Google search turned up a claim by Walkers that Show No Mercy had been downloaded thousands of times for free - hence her claim to be a bestselling author!

There's also something a bit fishy about a prolific teenage author whose name was mentioned in connection with Walkers'. I'm looking into this now.

Thuro

I'm Batman
Registered
Reaction score
This is...astounding.

By the way have I mentioned my story about the Y-Men? A group of people with special powers called Mutates?

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Wow, a pure "Find and Replace" on the names and nothing else changed at all going by those snippets. Not even the minor jiggery pokery some plagiarist do to avoid being quite so obvious. Lazy plagiarist is lazy.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Bethany's familiarity with Hindi films and songs suggests to me that she is British Asian. Oddly enough, her name (or pen name!) has been linked on Goodreads with that of another prolific young British Asian author, Anfal Khaliq, who's currently working on her eighth novel at the grand old age of fifteen:

I've put a lot of thought into my work. When someone likes my books, it makes me feel amazing and makes all of the hard work worthwile. xx

I live in Manchester, UK, and I either have my head stuck in a book or I live in front of my laptop outside of school hours. I love a good book, so if you have any recommendations for me, send them my way!
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7134203.Anfal_Khaliq

Something sounds familiar...

I like rap. Any recommendations? Send them my way!
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7792667.Bethany_Walkers

One of Ms Khaliq's many books is Three-Legged Madness, a 46-page novella published last October through CreateSpace. Here's the back cover blurb:

My family's weird. I know everyone says that but we are DEFINITELY weird. My eldest sister is 17 going on 70, my other sister is away with the fairies (literally - her room is like heaven to whoever invented fairy lights) and my little brother is a space cadet who's obsessed with finding cheese on the moon. Me? Somehow, I ended up normal, but it's a struggle, let me tell you ... and I will tell you about Dad's birthday - as soon as I get this vibrating three-legged cat off my head ...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1493596799/?tag=absowrit-21

The first words:

Dear Mum,

I've decided to do something.

Don't panic: it's not like I'm about to pierce my lip, or enrol for the next Mars mission, or run away with the circus and juggle clowns or something.

But lo, what have we here? In 2001 Karen McCombie published the first book in her popular Ally's World series, The Past, the Present and the Loud, Loud Girl. Compare and contrast...

My family's weird. I know everyone says that, but we are definitely weird. My eldest sister is 17 going on 70, my other sister is away with the fairies (literally - her room is a shrine to whoever invented fairy lights) and my little brother is a space cadet who's obsessed with Rolf Harris. Me? I somehow ended up normal, but it's a struggle, let me tell you...and I will tell you - soon as I get this vibrating three-legged cat off my head...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1407117610/?tag=absowrit-21

Note Khaliq's very original substitution of lunar cheese for Rolf Harris, 'heaven' for 'shrine' and the addition of Dad's birthday, by the way. It may well be the only original writing in the book, which from what I can see from the Look Inside feature is identical to the Prologue of McCombie's Loud, Loud Girl.

So far I've been unable to find any evidence of plagiarism in Khaliq's other books, but her style doesn't seem consistent and a couple of them read like fanfic written by different people.

Ms Khaliq's sister Sanna is also a self-published author whose works include a retelling of Snow White - illustrated with stills from the Disney film!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1492364762/?tag=absowrit-21

Stolen artwork is used liberally by both sisters. They obviously have no understanding of copyright.

*Looks forward to reading Thuro's story about Professor Y, Magneato, Tempest, Animal and co*

Last edited:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Somebody send that illustrated book to Disney. I'm sure they won't like having someone making money off of them. Authors might not pursue legal action, but I think a big company like Disney will at least send a letter that'll make these plagiarizing sisters think twice.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Mercy! How on earth does she find the time to study?

I've saved the best for last. You may recognise one of Walkers' poems from Race:

Sounds familiar? No wonder - they're the lyrics of Lovesong by Robert Smith, written for the Cure but better-known through Adele's 2011 version!

I've long suspected that CreateSpace and other vanity/self-pub platforms are a gift to plagiarists, but this is a particularly egregious - and stupid - example. After being exposed Walkers took down her blog and website and vanished from Facebook and Twitter. With any luck Crashed Into You, Save Me, Chained and Dream Come True will never see the light of day.

THIS will get the author burned if any recording company rights holder comes across this - music copyright is NOT something you mess with.

Provided they find out, that is.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I've also emailed Disney. Sanna has also has written a Disney-illustrated version of Cinderella.

*Facepalm*

I couldn't find an email address for the Universal Music Publishing Group, which owns the rights to Lovesong, but I've sent them a Tweet.

Frankly I'm not 100% convinced that Bethany Walkers/Anfal Khaliq are whom they claim to be. Some of Khaliq's books first saw the light of day as Lulu e-books in 2011, when she would have been only twelve years old:
http://anfalkhaliq786.wordpress.com/

ETA: Oh dear. Knowing of 'Bethany Walkers'' penchant for basing books on films I wasn't altogether surprised to come across this:

Summary of my book 'Enemies Always' - a book for teenagers and anyone who likes a good scare!

‎07-12-2011 12:34

OK, a brief summary of my book:
This book is based on a movie, you will find out more in the book. It is about a man who suffers illness and his life's gone to pieces. His girlfriend has died, he's got no job anymore, has short term memory loss and on top of that all he's got his worse enemy planning to kill him. So what can he do now?

Anfal Khaliq - Greater Manchester, UK
http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Author-W...s-Always-a-book-for-teenagers-and/td-p/101109

Someone asked:

Completely aside form formatting and editing issues I really question the ethics (and even the legality) of basing your book on someone else's work unless you have obtained explicit permission to do so.

To which Khaliq replied:

i have made sure that this book is not based on the movie i have said, only very very few ideas. it would seem as if i haven't copied the work at all, i have also given a copyright notice about permissions and things, so its ok.

Well, that's all right then.

By the way, I love the contrast between the avatars in posts 13 and 14!

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, the "I'm a very young author and student..." part of her bio would lead me to believe she (or maybe he) is older than presented. Most "very young" authors / students don't tag themselves that way. I'd venture to guess that most don't even think of themselves that way. "Very young" is a designation of an older person.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Alice, I've notified Disney from this side of the pond.

I agree that 'Sanna', 'Anfal', and 'Bethany' may not be the age they claim.

There's also a religious angle that I'm not posting here, but for which I'm still gathering evidence to send to UK authorities.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's possible she is that young, or close to it. Googling around finds someone with that name getting an award at a primary school in 2010, and the same school has a person with her sister's name getting perfect attendance in 2013. From what I understand of English schools, primary school goes to age 10 or 11.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Adding, it's still a stupid and illegal thing for her to do, but it does change my perception a bit if Khaliq really is 15 and her sister maybe 12. On the practical side, there's virtually no chance of suing her for damages or anything, and the most legally she'd get is a slap on the wrist.

If, through Facebook or her blog or something someone can figure out how to contact one of her parents or a teacher at her current school, that might be the way to go.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
That's best left to someone in that area, I suspect. I sent off my information about two specific Khaliq books to UK authorities; whether the 'sisters' are actual teens or adults pretending to be teens, books condoning honor killing and the threat of honor killing are no laughing matter.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I've just found a PDF extract from Anfal Khaliq's Enemies Always, published by Lulu in 2011.

Note by the author:

This book is based on the Indian movie, Ghajini. But I
have changed it around and made it into a book from
my point of view. I have also turned it into an English
version rather than a Hindi one. I wouldn‟t
recommend this for children under twelve years old.
file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/excerpt.pdf

So it's basically the same book as Bethany Walkers' Show No Mercy - proof that nobody has ever seen Bethany and Anfal in the same room at the same time! The borrowings from Colleen Hoover's books Hopeless, Slammed! and Point of Retreat must have been added later as none of them had been published yet.

Last edited:

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
Great investigative work, Alice!

It's one thing to write fanfic, or even rip someone's story off for your own spin (pretty much still fanfic). But this kind of plagiarism...and she's selling it as her own? Nope.
Even if she is young, this is a lesson she'll have to learn if she wants to be an author.

Status
Not open for further replies.