Status
Not open for further replies.

RichHelms

@BookTrailer101
Registered
Reaction score
Website
booktrailer101.info
An understanding of why someone would read your book helps to influence your book trailer design. If the book is an escape, then the trailer should convey the avenue to an escape. A mystery could present the puzzle. Let the trailer be the intro to why someone would purchase your book.

Here is my current list of reasons. Below each I put some points to clarify.

• Vicarious experience
    • Novels
    • History
    • Biographies
  • Social
    • Book club selection
    • Discuss with others
  • Reference
    • Random access vs read from to back
    • Searchable eBooks
  • Mental challenge
    • Mystery
    • Poetry – word play
  • Curiosity
    • Introduction (Shallow learning)
  • Learn
    • How to
    • Self help
    • Improve language skills
    • Professional
    • Therapeutic
    • Personal
    • School/academia
  • Inspiration
    • Motivational
    • Spiritual
  • Poetry
    • Imagery
    • Metaphor

I admit Poetry is not a good fit. Just can't figure out how that works in. Opinions?

http://booktrailer101.info/course/why-do-people-read-books/

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I read because I love reading. That's pretty much it.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I also read because I love reading. And I read all kinds of stuff for various reasons. What I don't do is watch book trailers. (I have friends who have trailers for their books, I don't watch them, either.) Why would I watch a teeny little movie when I could read a book? Or I could read the 'See Inside' on Amazon, which tells me what I want to know, and is a book-like experience.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
The main reasons I read (for entertainment) are not on that list:

Entertainment
Escapism
Connection with people (as in the characters in novels) who are not me and immersion in their worlds and perceptions.

These are (I assume, or at least hope) the three main reasons someone would want to read a novel I wrote.

The third is one huge thing reading a novel gives me that a movie or TV show cannot--access to another person's inner world and dialog.

Another reason to read for entertainment instead of watching a movie or TV show is that it can be done in very short or long increments. I get to pick the pace and timing to some extent. It's great for squeezing into those 10 minute breaks in my day, or into more open-ended times in my schedule.

Book trailers? Like a movie? They have that? Wow.

Indeed, though I don't know how successful they are at getting people to read books. I've certainly never bought a book because of a trailer I saw. I don't even know if any of the books I've read recently have trailers or where I'd go to find them if they do. The authors' blogs?

The thing is, books are things people read, while trailers are a different modality. I learn about what's in books from either browsing in a brick and mortar store (something I do fairly rarely these days), getting "if you liked this, then you'll like this," recommendations on B&N or Amazon sites (the read blurb/synopsis and peek inside). Word of mouth from people with similar taste is another way I hear about new books and authors (including people here on AW), Author blogs I follow, authors I've met at workshops (will usually buy at least one book by them and give it a try).

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
We read stories as an emotional exercise, our subconscious minds do not not completely recognize the difference between our real experiences, and what happens in our imagination. The emotional exercise can help us cope with stress.

As physical exercise raises our heart rate, and is therefore good for our hearts, so the emotional exercise of a story with it's black moment, increases our heart rate. Then the story's conclusion should bring it back down to normal again.

Last edited:

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
The main reasons I read (for entertainment) are not on that list:

Entertainment
Escapism
Connection with people (as in the characters in novels) who are not me and immersion in their worlds and perceptions.

These are (I assume, or at least hope) the three main reasons someone would want to read a novel I wrote.

These are the reasons I read. And since it's said to write the book you want to read, it's why I write, too.

Indeed, though I don't know how successful they are at getting people to read books. I've certainly never bought a book because of a trailer I saw. I don't even know if any of the books I've read recently have trailers or where I'd go to find them if they do. The authors' blogs?

I've seen some beautifully done book trailers. I can admire the skill with which it was put together. I'm afraid it still doesn't entice me to read the book.

The blurb, cover and the Look Inside feature (either digital or analog) are what compels me to pick up a book to read.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
everyone has their own motivators, but these exercises always strike me as a sort of "paralysis by analysis" exercise in futility--there's a million reasons people read, like certain covers, etc., and sometimes you just gotta try to tell your best story, make your best cover, etc. without attempting to over-analyze and make it so all things to all people that it ends up nothing special to anyone.

In that vein, buffysquirrel's answer is perhaps as good as any.

I read to be entertained. That's enough, and depending upon the book and circumstance, may fit some, most, or none of the possibilities within the formal outline.

RichHelms

@BookTrailer101
Registered
Reaction score
Website
booktrailer101.info
Buffysquirrel - maybe covered in chocolate :)

veinglory - Fun - Entertainment - you are right

gingerwoman - cope with stress - I originally had in my list escape. I like "cope with"

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Our kitten seems to think books are edible, even without the chocolate. He looked very abashed when I yelled NO!

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Why do people read books? Because they're not edible.

I had a paper-eating cat who would disagree. (But, then, he was the only animal I owned who would lick Bitter Apple off something he wanted to chew. He clearly hated the taste, but he licked it off anyway.)

As for the question, add me to the Escapism, Enjoyment, and Vicarious Living columns. I also read to learn and explore, but mostly I pick up a book to get away from reality.

LupineMoon

Registered
Reaction score
Because books don't say or do things that make you feel bad and they don't complain when you hurl them across the room in a fit of pique because your favourite character just died.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I know I'm not the only one here who has sunk to reading the telephone book when nothing else was available (which is how I discover things like pecan tree shakers exist :D ). Would that be "for fun" or "it's an addiction"?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
To be psychologically complete-ist: If one is making a list of motivations rather than simply experiences I think they need to basically fall under
1) satisfy or mimic genetically coded evolutionary survival behaviors
(social=bond with cooperation partners, mental challenge=prepare for future problems by developing cognitive skills, curiosity=explore novelty for future avoidance or exploitation as warranted, motivational=increase probability if successful coping behaviors).
2) providing satisfying consequences
(reference/learn=solve problems and get rewards)
3) being associated with a positive emotional valence (fun=activate pathways associated with success, spirituality=activate pathways associate with bliss--both unconditioned rewards).

JennTX

Registered
Reaction score
I know I'm not the only one here who has sunk to reading the telephone book when nothing else was available (which is how I discover things like pecan tree shakers exist :D ). Would that be "for fun" or "it's an addiction"?

Or reading a cereal box?

I miss being a kid.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I read books because I don't know of a faster way to transfer books' contents into my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.