• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How would you handle MC name changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuroi okami

Registered
Reaction score
The main characters in my WIP have changed their names to hide their past, they are then separated for a long time. When they re-unite, they think of each other as their birth names and they call each other these names in private. In public they use the current names. The name change is important to the plot, I'm just having a hard time writing this. Would you:
New name/ old name, italics, switch back and forth with the assumption that readers aren't as dumb as we might believe?

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
If it's absolutely necessary to the story, the reader should already know both names and the reason why they changes for the full duration of the story.

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I would mention the name change, and then write the real names as their names thereafter. I think readers would remember, especially if its important, as they wouldn't forget something that is critical to the plot.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Consistency required

As long as you are consistent and everything flows, it should not matter.

Tom (Bernard) was appalled at the changes in Suzy(Miranda) after the long decade they were apart.

As long as the format is the same and you use memory joggers where needed, the reader should be fine.

There was a similar thread a few months ago. You might be able to find it. It had some good suggestions.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I tend to write in first or limited third, so in the narrative, I'd use the name the current pov character thinks in their heart of hearts, but in dialog, of course, they'd use the name they must during the circumstances. I'd set it up and possibly include an occasional reminder like, "It still felt weird to call her brother 'Ted.'"

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I use whatever name the POV character would use/how they think of the other character. It can be fine to refer to characters by different names as long as it's clear who you're talking about, and you're reasonably consistent.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I tend to write in first or limited third, so in the narrative, I'd use the name the current pov character thinks in their heart of hearts, but in dialog, of course, they'd use the name they must during the circumstances. I'd set it up and possibly include an occasional reminder like, "It still felt weird to call her brother 'Ted.'"

+1

If you're doing omni, it might be harder, but first/close third would probably have the character referring to themselves by their "real"/birth name, even as others call them by their assumed name. (Unless they've completely buried their past; then they'd be New Name even in their heads until someone called them by Old Name, and the unwelcome memories come flooding back.)

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I think in this situation it'd do yourself a favor to give these characters pretty distinctive names if you're going to be switching them around a lot.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Use the names that the point of view character would use, both in dialogue and narration. Just make sure you clearly establish the multiple names and that there aren't too many of them.

BloodSpatterAnalyst

"AA" stands for Authors Anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
I personally would use the name the POV character would use for other character. If it's in dialog or the character's thought then by all means you can switch the names. As long as it is absolutely for the storyline.

I wouldn't use two different names for the same character in the actual story, though. It would confuse the reader too much I think. For example if your main character is named Kevin and that's the name you've been using for the entire story but then all of sudden you start writing him as Joe (Joe said this, Joe did this, etc.).. I think would confuse a lot of people. Consistency is key.

Hope this helps?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I had this very scenario in one book, with a long-lived paranormal powerhouse who lived in the human population. Her family members referred to her by her given name (because families just can't be trained, can they...?) Newer acquaintenances referred to her by her current name, and some long-time friends would be careful to use whatever name she needed to hear in the current situation. In her own mind, she varied how she thought of herself. She liked both names (because she had selected the newer name for herself) but by and large, she thought of herself by her given name. So, narrative where she admonishes herself in her thoughts would be given name. Dialogue with family would be without name mentions unless they're upset or exasperated with her--she had that effect on people ;) --and new people would have dialogue with the new name. Readers said it didn't confuse them at all. :)

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
Have you read Scott Westerfeld's Leviathon?

One of the characters is in hiding as a boy. She thinks of herself by her real name and the actions she does are labelled with her real name and feminine pronouns, but other people describe her as a boy and use the other name. The reader knows the story so it's not confusing at all.

Kuroi okami

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm taking your suggestions and re-writing the scenes several different ways, just to see what works!

KarmaPolice

Registered
Reaction score
How about nicknames? Once the two realise they're going by different names, they might use them so not to blow the cover. Then use the nickname throughout, with only the occasional other person using 'Mr/Miss Fake' in conversation. Just a thought.

la-gamine

Child at Heart.
Registered
Reaction score
There's a series called Castaways of the Flying Dutchman and it's about a boy and his dog that are granted eternal life. The characters start of with the names Neb and Den, later they change they names by reversing them: Ben and Ned. Even if they used totally different names I wouldn't have found it hard to remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.