• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Deep pov... does it matter how involved/opinionated your POV character is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scribbledoutname

Nobody said I couldn't.
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard it's (mostly) up to you, but I feel like people enjoy it more when the POV character's opinions permeate everything. I'm not talking about paragraphs of internalisation but thoughts that blend in with everything else.

Unfortunately I struggle with coming up with little snippets of opinion for the various things my POV characters come across...

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I think this depends on what POV you're using, because in third this can be rather difficult to pull off.

In first, I hate it most of the time. Though, a lot of the first I come across is in YA, it's very grating to have the narrator comment about everything, little thing all the time. For god's sakes. This is the reason a lot of readers don't like Holden. Phony, phony, phony.

In third, it becomes difficult to mix thoughts into the narrative, and inputting internal thoughts without jarring the reader.

I believe you're better off mixing the POV character's point of view on subjects with how they describe everything happening. Instead of having them comment that they think someone is like the devil, have them describe that person like the devil, or their features, or certain things that they do in particular. That's how you deepen the narrative.

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
In third (and in first, too), you can reveal POV in multiple ways, not just through thoughts/judgments. What the character chooses to focus on can reveal as much about their POV as describing thought processes. The actions they choose to take, how they interpret situations, dialogue - all of that can reveal POV in different ways. By revealing their worldview through multiple channels, you don't overwhelm the reader with constant internal monologue-y type stuff.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's one style, but you don't have to do it if you don't feel comfortable writing it. I personally find it a bit annoying when characters have to comment on everything.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't like reading a character like that. I think if you want to, you could make a side-characters like that. Then you use them in small doses, turning them on and off as you pleased.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard it's (mostly) up to you, but I feel like people enjoy it more when the POV character's opinions permeate everything. I'm not talking about paragraphs of internalisation but thoughts that blend in with everything else.

That's what deep POV is.

Not that the character has to be constantly commenting on everything, but his or her emotions, opinions, and observations will drive the narrative.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I think this depends on what POV you're using, because in third this can be rather difficult to pull off...it becomes difficult to mix thoughts into the narrative, and inputting internal thoughts without jarring the reader.

I don't find it so. But maybe we're actually on the same page, because this--

Instead of having them comment that they think someone is like the devil, have them describe that person like the devil, or their features, or certain things that they do in particular. That's how you deepen the narrative.

--I agree with. There's more than one way to express an attitude or opinion.

lothar97

Registered
Reaction score

Unfortunately I struggle with coming up with little snippets of opinion for the various things my POV characters come across...

Each bit of internal thought doesn't have to be an opinion. If you are in a close POV the character will notice specific things based on what is important to that character. Certain things will trigger certain memories, hopes, thoughts, and generally just explaining the things that aren't occurring in real-time, which need to be told instead of shown. When you include these things you can try explaining them as your character would, which will inherently add their opinions/views without adding "an opinion". Trying to think of it as an opinion might be constricting you.

scribbledoutname

Nobody said I couldn't.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I just got worried because I felt like I was missing a lot of opportunities to slip in my character's thoughts. But I don't think I should compare my character to a more opinionated character!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
If characters are real people, they are opinionated. How much of it you reveal is up[ to your personal taste, but I can't remember reading a novel whether the POV characters feelings and opinions were a big part of the narrative.

I;m not at all convinced the anything like "deep" POV even exists. What you do or don't reveal is no more than your style of writing and telling a story.

Like most things, this is an area where you need to please yourself, not anyone else, be it readers or other writers. YOU have to like the way it's written, and the way it's told.

TopHat

Rackin' up library fines.
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could dig up J.D Salinger's corpse and beat him over the head with his own shin bone.

On a side note, is this comment too soon?

I mean it's only been four years

Last edited:

Renee J

Registered
Reaction score
I find if the character is reacting, the reader can figure out his/her opinions. And it feels natural. If the character is just thinking opinions without anything to prompt it, readers would find it forced.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Beth S said it for me.

That's what deep POV is.

Not that the character has to be constantly commenting on everything, but his or her emotions, opinions, and observations will drive the narrative.

BloodSpatterAnalyst

"AA" stands for Authors Anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
Mostly everything has already been hashed out on this topic, but I'm still going to give my two cents.

As long as the thoughts and opinions cater to the overall feel and drives the course of the plot then it's fine. If there's too much of it, it tends to be a little too jarring for me to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.