• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

"Now" in past tense narration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I recently had someone comment that my use of the word now in past tense narration seemed jarring. I've seen this in many published books, and it has never bothered me. I wouldn't use it in academic writing, but it seems fine to me in fiction.

My example sentence was this:

Even now, he felt like he had bugs crawling all over him.

What does everyone think?

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with using 'now' in past tense narrative. The alternative is... what? Using 'then' because that implies it is happening in the past? That would be completely jarring.

I use 'now' myself, and it has never once been flagged, either by a beta or my agent. It simply states that something is happening in the immediate timeframe that the narrative is set:

[FONT=&quot]Now she understood why Aneksi had been walking like that when she returned from the Lotus.[/FONT]

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
It's fine. Telling a story in past tense doesn't mean you're telling the reader of the past, just the story is being told from a past perspective.

Though, I do recommend cutting back on it since some readers do catch this and it can jar them--exemplified by this situation.

Last edited:

Telergic

Overwriting
Registered
Reaction score
Overuse of any word or figure or turn of phrase is bad, but IMO "now" is fine in the usual narrative past tense which is really happening in the present.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I'm not sure. I think I'd have to read more of the passage to get a feel for it. I'm playing with it in my mind ...brb :gone:

Ok, here's a flimsy attempt at putting it together in a way that makes sense to me.

He hadn’t had much choice. The forest was familiar and comforting while the marsh was squishy and filled with all sorts of icky things, but it led to the high ground, and that’s where he’d needed to be. He’d stepped into the murk, and two hours later, struggled out onto the shore on the other side. The path wasn’t long, but the thick reeds and sluggish, muddy water had made the going rough and slow.

For a woodsman like himself, it had not been a pleasant walk. Even now, sitting by his campfire,, he felt like he had bugs crawling all over him.

I think in your sentence, the "even" makes the "now" seem different than the "now" in the sentence from Kallithrix. I'm not sure why ...

But the "even now" sounds ok for me in my example. HTH.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I recently had someone comment that my use of the word now in past tense narration seemed jarring. I've seen this in many published books, and it has never bothered me. I wouldn't use it in academic writing, but it seems fine to me in fiction.

I don't have any problem with it, and I've certainly seen this sort of thing in recently published fiction. Honestly, I wonder if critiquers who point out "flaws" like that do much reading.

Last edited:

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that was what I thought. I just figured I'd get some good opinions from on here. It could be because I read the sentence out loud. Since then, I've found a better way of writing the section anyways. But I'm glad to know I don't have to cut every "now" out of the manuscript.

Now I'll just have to check if I have too many.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

One of those cases where the reader is not "always right." "Now" has nothing to do with tense. Rather, it speaks to temporal distance. It's perfectly fine to use.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
It sounds a bit like critiquers who get bent out of shape and insist that the correct usage of past progressive tense is switching from past to present also.

It's strange, because simply opening a published novel would yield plenty of examples of its usage.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I don't find it jarring as used above, but there have been circumstances when I did. Kalli's sentence might have that effect - I'd need to read more to know. When the word begins a sentence and could be set off by a comma, its seems to pull me into my now and out of the story. It depends on the rest of the context though. In those cases, the word isn't always necessary anyway.

I wouldn't have a problem with "even then" instead of "even now." It's a matter of narrative voice, and choice, though. In my own work I might revise it out and use still.

BloodSpatterAnalyst

"AA" stands for Authors Anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
You can't please everybody. IMO I don't find it jarring. Heck, I use now in my writing as well and I think it works just fine.

StephanieZie

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Registered
Reaction score
I've always found that there are different "levels" of past tense, and its possible to write past tense in a way that makes it feel as immediate as the present. Your example would fall into that category, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.