• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

When do you start letting people read your WIP's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Draft 3. But with my current WIP, I've been showing my betas chunks as I go along, just cause it's such a weird little book that I have no fucking clue where it's going and I need them to hold my paw and stroke my head and tell me it's worth continuing.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
My work has to be at least in the second draft before I'll share it, because the first draft is usually so hideous that if anyone lays eyes on it, they will expire from shock. And that causes all sorts of problems. Sure I've got a big garden, but I can only hide so many dead betas.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Relatives don't always make the best readers of your stuff, so go into that with your eyes wide open.

I'm not sure I agree that having family members beta is always a bad idea.

If they love what you write then you can probably discount that because they love you, but if you can't get them to finish it, especially if they are avid readers, that might be a valuable clue.

And if you discuss the story with them, and they seem confused about what happened in the story, that could be a clue that you need to clarify.

I agree with both of you. Sometimes family members make good beta readers, sometimes they don't. Like, I know I can't let my dad beta read for me because, for one thing, he never reads fiction much less fantasy. I honestly don't think I'd be able to get him to read what I write. For another thing, he's so afraid to hurt my feelings, he'd never give me honest feedback.

My mom is another story. She's always honest with me and knows I'm mature enough to take criticism. If I'm not sure that one of my story ideas is making sense, or I'm struggling to find the right words to describe something, I run it by her because she's great at helping with that kind of thing and not forcing her own ideas on me in the process. And, on the rare occasions that she does give me an idea, she never gets offended if I don't use it because she understands that it is ultimately my story, not hers.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
I wish I had someone, but it doesn't seem to be a possibility right now. My mother would be shocked with some of the things I write, my sister would go, "Hmmm," or probably not even read it, and my cats would barf on it. So I invented a spilt personality to read over my stuff, Stella. Man, she's evil.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Is an alpha reader different from a beta reader?

An alpha reader reads your work at the early stages. A beta reader reads it when it is complete and edited.

FlaDan

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When to review a WIP

I have one trusted reader. But as a newbie, it is scary enough throwing myself open to the world. I need to get thicker skin.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I had someone, but it doesn't seem to be a possibility right now. My mother would be shocked with some of the things I write, my sister would go, "Hmmm," or probably not even read it, and my cats would barf on it. So I invented a spilt personality to read over my stuff, Stella. Man, she's evil.
Have you considered perusing through the Beta thread? Or starting a thread seeking one?

As to the OP, I usually start letting others read it about 3/4 of the way through. I like to know early on if there are any major problems, but I also write out of order, so I need to have enough content for the readers to understand what's going on.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
Have you considered perusing through the Beta thread? Or starting a thread seeking one?

I have, and though I'm glad it works for so many writers, I've had a few experiences that left me feeling like a total idiot, and then I spent months trying to find the confidence to write again. Some people like the process, but not me. Most likely I need to find a similar writer/comrade who can tell me what does and doesn't work, without kiling my soul in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.