• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How can i write about a area that i have never visited?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HGDaGr8One

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
One of my characters live in New Orleans, Louisiana and i want to describe the urban environment while the character is walking home from school. But, I have never been to New Orleans so how do i describe it through the characters eyes? I am at a stand still and i would really like to use New Orleans due to it's mysterious, violent, and eerie history.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Have you googled 'New Orleans' and looked at the websites listed? Or go to google maps and go all the way down to street level... you'll be able to 'walk the streets' of New Orleans, find the places you want to use, and describe them right down to the color of the paint on window sills. ;)

Kathl33n

Questioning Everything
Registered
Reaction score
That is exceptionally good advice. Bookmarking this. Thanks! And HGDaGr8One, thanks for asking this! :)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Google Maps Streetview

YouTube (although you're likely to get mostly Mardi Gras videos)

Google Images (again, you're likely to get Mardi Gras pics)

Although not as good for daily life stuff, but TripAdvisor.com, TravelBlog.org, and other sites like those.

I use these and they work! I researched Zanzibar several years ago, and when I finally got to go it was so eerie to recognize all these places and know all about them. I just about gave the tour of the slave market, even quizzing the guide about stuff he didn't talk about. I was wrong about a couple things (like taking several hours for a bicycle tour of Stone Town when the walking tour actually takes about one hour) but it was amazingly accurate.

ETA: Oh! CouchSurfing.org. It links you up with people all over the world who are willing to let you stay at their place. You might have to sign up for an account, but find some people in NOLA and they will be thrilled to help you. They might even go to the neighborhood in question and do some fact checking. I've done that for folks, although through here and not through CouchSurfing.

Last edited:

shestval

No more horror books at 1am
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, research! Everyone has made excellent suggestions so far.

Another good reference would be someone who HAS been to New Orleans, or even better has lived there. Ask them what they remember about the city, and maybe ask them to proofread for city accuracy when you're done. You can probably find someone on this board who lives/has lived in New Orleans who would be willing to beta.

HGDaGr8One

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Have you googled 'New Orleans' and looked at the websites listed? Or go to google maps and go all the way down to street level... you'll be able to 'walk the streets' of New Orleans, find the places you want to use, and describe them right down to the color of the paint on window sills. ;)

I have looked at websites and maps. I have actually thought about going all the way down to street level that is some freaking awesome advice for a good visual, thanks.

But, what about smells and noises? I guess one urban areas sounds and smells are like any other on that aspect though.

Last edited:

HGDaGr8One

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yes, research! Everyone has made excellent suggestions so far.

Another good reference would be someone who HAS been to New Orleans, or even better has lived there. Ask them what they remember about the city, and maybe ask them to proofread for city accuracy when you're done. You can probably find someone on this board who lives/has lived in New Orleans who would be willing to beta.

That's also some awesome advice. I would like for it to be as real as possible for those who have not been to New Orleans to actually get a freakin' sweet visual.

A person who has actually been there would be a good proof-reader. I would love to get with somebody on this board who has been to New Orleans who would be willing to beta.

So, if anybody has been to New Orleans please contact me.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, New Orleans is one of the smelliest cities I've ever visited. It was long ago, so I'm not the person to talk to for accuracy, but the heat and high humidity makes trash which would mold or dry up elsewhere actively rot to liquification there. We were mostly in the French Quarter, doing tourist stuff, so surely it's better elsewhere, but where we were, the smells assailing your nostrils were pretty bad a fair amount of the time.

Maryn, remembering the St. Anne hotel fondly

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
In addition to the suggestions above, I'd recommend two famous novels set in New Orleans:

A Confederacy of Dunces, John Kennedy Toole
The Moviegoer, Walker Percy

Both use lots of real places in the city as almost characters by themselves. I lived in Da Easy for several years back in the 1980s, and can attest to the veracity of these. And I've been back for numerous visits since, including just last year, and especially downtown and in the French Quarter, things are very much as they were 30-odd years ago.

Also watch the excellent mini-series Tremé, which should be available on DVD or Netflix or some such service.

caw

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I live in New Orleans. I've been here eight years now, so I'm not a Local, but I'm a local, if you know what I mean.

One thing you want to determine is whether your student is attending a private or public school, and the time period makes a difference. Historically the public schools here were, frankly, godawful, not only in the level of education, but the physical buildings.

I have an architect friend who was hired to remodel a public school bathroom (Pre-Katrina). There were gaping holes in the walls where you could see exposed pipes, the countertop was half rotted away, none of the bathroom stalls had doors anymore, and one of the toilets had been stolen/broken at some point so there was just some disconnected plumbing poking out of the floor. Their budget was so small that she was only able to do the most basic renovations. She said it was heartbreaking.

Post-Katrina Public schools received a huge amount of grant money, and many now have brand-new state of the art facilities and vastly improved quality of education, but the stigma remains.

If your student is from a mid-middle class or higher family from the area, I guarantee they would be attending private school. If someone here asks "Where did you go to school?" they're not referring to what college you attended. They're asking where you went to High School. There is as much competition between the schools as between rival universities, and parents go to great lengths to ensure their children go to the same school they attended. It's so important to the culture that people will go deep into debt rather than transfer their kids to a public school.

(I grew up in a town with one public high school and no private ones, so I find the whole thing a bit bizarre, but it's certainly interesting).

Anyway, I'll be glad to answer any questions you have (assuming I know the answer).

Last edited:

HGDaGr8One

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Google Maps Streetview

YouTube (although you're likely to get mostly Mardi Gras videos)

Google Images (again, you're likely to get Mardi Gras pics)

Although not as good for daily life stuff, but TripAdvisor.com, TravelBlog.org, and other sites like those.

I use these and they work! I researched Zanzibar several years ago, and when I finally got to go it was so eerie to recognize all these places and know all about them. I just about gave the tour of the slave market, even quizzing the guide about stuff he didn't talk about. I was wrong about a couple things (like taking several hours for a bicycle tour of Stone Town when the walking tour actually takes about one hour) but it was amazingly accurate.

ETA: Oh! CouchSurfing.org. It links you up with people all over the world who are willing to let you stay at their place. You might have to sign up for an account, but find some people in NOLA and they will be thrilled to help you. They might even go to the neighborhood in question and do some fact checking. I've done that for folks, although through here and not through CouchSurfing.

Thanks, for the advice, lengthy reply, and the awesome links. I have some research to do. I need to find some peeps from NOLA, do you know anybody who would be willing to help me out?

This is a cool forum, it did not take long to get replies. :) You people are the freakin' shiz! :D

HGDaGr8One

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I live in New Orleans. I've been here eight years now, so I'm not a Local, but I'm a local, if you know what I mean.

One thing you want to determine is whether your student is attending a private or public school, and the time period makes a difference. Historically the public schools here were, frankly, godawful, not only in the level of education, but the physical buildings.

I have an architect friend who was hired to remodel a public school bathroom (Pre-Katrina). There were gaping holes in the walls where you could see exposed pipes, the counter top was half rotted away, none of the bathroom stalls had doors anymore, and one of the toilets had been stolen/broken at some point so there was just some disconnected plumbing poking out of the floor. Their budget was so small that she was only able to do the most basic renovations. She said it was heartbreaking.

Post-Katrina Public schools received a huge amount of grant money, and many now have brand-new state of the art facilities and vastly improved quality of education, but the stigma remains.

If your student is from a mid-middle class or higher family from the area, I guarantee they would be attending private school. If someone here asks "Where did you go to school?" they're not referring to what college you attended. They're asking where you went to High School. There is as much competition between the schools as between rival universities, and parents go to great lengths to ensure their children go to the same school they attended. It's so important to the culture that people will go deep into debt rather than transfer their kids to a public school.

(I grew up in a town with one public high school and no private ones, so I find the whole thing a bit bizarre, but it's certainly interesting).

Anyway, I'll be glad to answer any questions you have (assuming I know the answer).

You live in NOLA? You the person i need to be talking to. Would you mind being a beta so i can know if I'm going in the right direction?

My character is from a made up high school. And the time frame is Post-Katrina in which I can make a reference back to Katrina during my story.

I got questions about the environment in NOLA. Like, if I was a public school student walking down the street in the hood what would I witness on a day to day basis? How does it smell? Are there different smells and aromas that can be described? How are the people in urban areas? And, so on and so forth.

I like how you described the Pre-Katrina conditions of the public school bathroom. That is the kind of picture I'm trying to draw with the character walking home from school in my story...a detailed description.

Thanks in advance for helping me out with ALL the question I will have. I will be sure to add you as a contact, thank you.

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Bourbon Street has a smell all its own, too... especially early in the morning, just after sunrise.
A friend of mine said the barf-to-sidewalk ratio of Bourbon Street gets unacceptably high the closer you get to dawn, but that it's all somehow miraculously cleaned up by the next morning.

So that morning smell must be either something unfortunate and biological, or something chemical and heroically disinfecting.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Further info on Da Big Easy: Post-Katrina, there has been a major effort to clean up the French Quater (referred to by the locals simply as "the Quarter", or by the snooty locals as le vieux carré, the "old quarter"). It's better now than it was pre-Katrina. And timing of your story is important, because in New Orleans, everything now is referred to as before or after Katrina, sort of like B.C. and A.D.

One of the major reasons for the aromas you find in such a cramped place as the Quarter is that it's full of restaurants and cafés and bars that serve food, and a huge amount of that food is seafood of various kinds, all of which stinks bad when it becomes garbage. That's worst in the summer, when the place is universally hot and steamy (max temps ~95F, minimum nightly about 80F, and 90% humidity pretty much all the time).

Bourbon Street is one of a dozen or so north-south streets through the Quarter, more or less in the middle. Only the southern half of it is the congested tourist-infested area. The northern portion of the Quarter is much more residential (yes, many people do indeed live there), with only scattered cafés/shops/restaurants. Much quieter up there. The second-most touristy street is Royal, one block toward the river from Bourbon. The southern boundary of the Quarter is the more or less east-west thoroughfare of Canal Street, which forms the backbone of downtown N.O. The famous remaining streetcar runs on St. Charles Avenue, going south from Canal Street through "up-town", a long curve congruent to the River, but only at one point close to it, and making a sharp northward turn on the other end on Carondelet Street. One of the big recent improvements to the city has been the building of the Ernest J. Morial Convention Center, named after a famously corrupt and popular mayor from the 1970s, near the river south of Canal Street.

caw

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
You live in NOLA? You the person i need to be talking to. Would you mind being a beta so i can know if I'm going in the right direction?

My character is from a made up high school. And the time frame is Post-Katrina in which I can make a reference back to Katrina during my story.

I got questions about the environment in NOLA. Like, if I was a public school student walking down the street in the hood what would I witness on a day to day basis? How does it smell? Are there different smells and aromas that can be described? How are the people in urban areas? And, so on and so forth.

I like how you described the Pre-Katrina conditions of the public school bathroom. That is the kind of picture I'm trying to draw with the character walking home from school in my story...a detailed description.

Thanks in advance for helping me out with ALL the question I will have. I will be sure to add you as a contact, thank you.

I've never been a beta before, but I'll give it a shot.

I live in a fairly rough neighborhood, (although it's much better since they shut down the crackhouse across the street).

Let's see... Smells....
People are right when the talk about the Quarter smelling like vomit and urine. On hot summer days it can be overwhelming. However, that's primarily because of the large number of bars/drunks. You don't get that funk in the neighborhoods so much.

The thing is that it's extremely humid here, and moisture amplifies smells. Remember the kid's science experiment where you smell something, then dab water under your nose and smell it again to see how much stronger the scent is? (This is why dogs have wet noses). Living here you're in a permanent state of heightened smells. In the local areas though, it's much less bodily fluids, and much more jasmine and lavender and other fragrant plants. The sub-tropical climate means just about anything will grow and most people, rich or poor, take pride in their gardens and plants. It can be lovely...until you pass a garbage can or a dog turd. You take the good with the bad.

More intrusive than smells, though, is the sound. Everyone here yells when they talk, even if they're standing right next to each other. I actually have a theory as to why. A large portion of the year there is a constant loud buzzing of cicadas. You literally have to yell to hear each other over the noise. I suspect that this has helped form the local dialect.

My first year living here, before I could understand the local accent (which is NOT a southern drawl ala Blache Devereaux), I often thought people were angry. I'd hear people yelling out in the street. Thinking there might be trouble, I'd step outside to check it out, and it would be some friends grinning and laughing and obviously not angry at all, just talking super-loudly.

Every day when I'm inside my house, I can clearly hear people yelling outside. A lot of the properties are gated or fenced so that you can't knock on the front door, so apart from the generally loud talking, you get people actually yelling for their friend to come outside or calling down the block to get someone's attention.

There are a lot of people on the street no matter what the time of day. There are the older folks, who sit on their porches and watch the world go by. Down the block from me is a house where there's a table and chairs set up next to the sidewalk and there's always the same four tough-looking dudes playing dominos. If you see kids, they're rarely alone. They know to stay in groups and there's actually one block that's sort of the unofficial kid's block, where you'll see every kid in the neighborhood playing outside. They don't trick or treat in my neighborhood. They go to the mall or to rich neighborhoods in the suburbs that give out good stuff.

The other thing about walking through my neighborhood is that you interact with everyone whether you want to or not. You wave at the old folks because they're nice, and you wave at the domino players because they're a little bit scary and you want them to know you're friendly and harmless. If you're a woman (like me), you get hit on by random drunks walking by, and I can't walk to or from my car without being asked for change. There's usually some dude walking around with obviously stolen goods for sale, and the goods are comically random: a five-pound block of cheese....a hideous teddy-bear lawn ornament thingy. It's the quiet ones that keep to themselves that you have to worry about. They're the drug dealers.

The other thing is that because people talk so loudly, you overhear all sorts of conversations. A couple years ago there was a shooting and a little girl got shot in the leg. The next day I overheard two kids discussing the incident with such comments as "That's not as bad as when (Insert name) got shot."

"Oh yeah, and last year (insert other name) got killed too."

Kids here are far more familiar with death than they should be. I have a friend who grew up here and half of his childhood stories involved a friend or family member getting killed. I can't even imagine what that must be like. I only knew one kid that died during my own childhood and he had leukemia.

Aaaand...I appear to have written a book, lol. I'll try to keep future answers a bit shorter.

Last edited:

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
One of my characters live in New Orleans, Louisiana and i want to describe the urban environment while the character is walking home from school. But, I have never been to New Orleans so how do i describe it through the characters eyes? I am at a stand still and i would really like to use New Orleans due to it's mysterious, violent, and eerie history.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Here's some suggestions:

1. Google Earth takes you there, and sometimes you get these wonderful street views.
  2. Documentaries
  3. Online Research
  4. Going to the Research forum here and asking questions about the area.
  5. Library.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been to NOLA since before Katrina, but I went about twice a year for six years or so before.

The French Quarter does smell: a mixture of putrid food scraps and sewage, mostly. Go around back any restaurant by the dumpters in summer and you'll have it. Outside the Quarter into the warehouse district isn't so bad, and the residential areas (Garden District, Kenner, Slidel, etc) smelled fine. The convention center smelled musty, but that was August and quite humid. November through April is the most pleasant time weatherwise.

If you try to incorporate accents, watch as much YouTube as you can of actual residents. The accent is very much different from "typical southern." Jessica Simpson mimicked the bayou accent in the Dukes of Hazard movie, which took place in Georgia and was quite laughable with her dropped "r"s.

I love NOLA, btw. One of my favorite cities.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just remember that New Orleans is not just Bourbon Street or just the French Quarter. You have a source who lives in the city and who is willing to help. Stay away from stereotypes and try to get the flavor of the non-tourist areas of the city (unless your story only takes place in those tourist areas).

bonitakale

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bkedits.com
I guess one urban areas sounds and smells are like any other on that aspect though.

I'm glad you're getting such good info on smells, because I think every city is different. About twelve years ago, I went for a weekend in New York after about 25 years away, and bang! I was home. It just--just smelled right. I spent my first five years in the Bronx, and I guess early impressions hang on.

itsmary

have faith, restart
Registered
Reaction score
Can I just pop in and say how much I love New Orleans? I live pretty close by; don't get down there very often but I did go last week for some research of my own. A few tidbits that might help you:

-- Not sure where the bulk of your story will take place, but everything in the French Quarter is extremely close together. The streets, alleys, and even bathroom stalls are super narrow. Don't spend too much time they're if you're claustrophobic! Also, a few people have mentioned the distinct smell -- I didn't smell too much too often, but what I did was rarely good.

-- Their directions are all mixed up. There are streets with "east" in the name that run west, and vice versa. So if a NOLA resident is giving directions, they're usually going to tell you where to go based on the (MS) River or Lake Ponchartrain.

-- There's a pretty big Catholic population (at one point, the French Quarter was 100 % Catholic by law), but some of those people you see in mass every Sunday may or may not be frequent visitors to Bourbon Street as well. I went on a cemetery tour where our guide (a New Orleans native) said New Orleans, not Vegas, is the real Sin City. They just cover it up better.

I know this is probably a lot more information than you were anticipating, but if your entire story takes place in the city and you want to get a feel for it, hopefully every little bit helps. Good luck!

HGDaGr8One

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Just remember that New Orleans is not just Bourbon Street or just the French Quarter. You have a source who lives in the city and who is willing to help. Stay away from stereotypes and try to get the flavor of the non-tourist areas of the city (unless your story only takes place in those tourist areas).

When most folks talk about New Orleans those are the streets that are normally brought up. I'm trying to stay away from stereotypes. I'm leaning more towards just a urban neighborhood to get that said, "flavor of the non-tourist areas." I wanna stay away from the norm of talking about the tourist attractions. New Orleans is bigger than Bourbon Street or the French Quarter.

Kris Ashton

Lurking in the Shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kris-ashton.wix.com
One thing you could do is make up a fictional part of New Orleans. That way you can give it a New Orleans flavour from some simple research without some nitpicker pulling your work to shreds.

Status
Not open for further replies.