• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Writers and Sanity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunker

Registered
Reaction score
Do you think that, depending on the genre and intent, a writer will eventually question if not lose their sanity?

This question could be more broad to include art in general, but this is a site devoted to writing.

Just a thought before I head off to sleep, to dream of buckets and eyeless statues of Maude.

Good night

nastyjman

not nasty at all
Registered
Reaction score
To tell you the truth, if I don't write I'd go insane.

Bunker

Registered
Reaction score
To tell you the truth, if I don't write I'd go insane.

I used to think this until I started to realized my preoccupation with writing is also a contributing factor and not so release :) Though either way very therapeutic!

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I think the entire question is based on the false premise writers (or artists in general) are some special bird.

Some writers lose their sanity. So do ditch-diggers, gas station attendants, whatever else.....we're not that special.

Bunker

Registered
Reaction score
I think the entire question is based on the false premise writers (or artists in general) are some special bird.

Some writers lose their sanity. So do ditch-diggers, gas station attendants, whatever else.....we're not that special.

I think if anything you are undervaluing the ditch-diggers and gas station attendants. They can go insane as well. Just because I question the relationship between artists and sanity in no way implies that it's an exclusive club.

Who's to say these ditch-diggers and gas station attendants don't go home and write. I did when I worked at a gas station.

Bunker

Registered
Reaction score
*points to signature* You gotta be a little crazy to do what we do.

Agreed. Personally I feel our questioning of our own sanity eventually leads us to explore and explain out eccentricities.

buirechain

Caution: (tries to) Walk on Water
Registered
Reaction score
I once heard that psychologists ought to be a little bit crazy to do what they do. But writers? I suppose it depends on how well you deal with being a shut in with next to no social life.

And, I'm perfectly sane, why do you ask?

Bunker

Registered
Reaction score
I once heard that psychologists ought to be a little bit crazy to do what they do. But writers? I suppose it depends on how well you deal with being a shut in with next to no social life.

And, I'm perfectly sane, why do you ask?

I added qualifiers in my initial query :)

It's more an observation that I feel I have insights on than an actual quest for definitive answers.

At this point I'm interested in others take on the subject.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think if anything you are undervaluing the ditch-diggers and gas station attendants. They can go insane as well. Just because I question the relationship between artists and sanity in no way implies that it's an exclusive club.

Who's to say these ditch-diggers and gas station attendants don't go home and write. I did when I worked at a gas station.

I'm confused...how did quicklime undervalue ditch-diggers and gas station attendants? And I'm not sure how the second part of your post relates to...well, anything. :D What do ditch-diggers/gas station attendants writing on their off time have to do with the question of sanity?

Anyway, to answer the OP, no, I don't think it's a given that a writer would lose their sanity. I find writing incredibly stressful at times, especially now that I'm on sub. Even though I made sure to quickly move on to writing the next book, I'm always aware at the back of my mind that my first book is on sub. But stress is not unique nor exclusive to writing. I have friends in all walks of life: psychologists, engineers, interior designers, physicists, animators...they all have their quirks. I know a few who are depressed and a few who have anxiety issues. It just depends on their personalities and their work and home environment.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Do you think that, depending on the genre and intent, a writer will eventually question if not lose their sanity?

This question could be more broad to include art in general, but this is a site devoted to writing.

Just a thought before I head off to sleep, to dream of buckets and eyeless statues of Maude.

Good night
Why? Are ya worried? Your dreams seem kinda tame to me. :D

. . ., whatever else.....we're not that special.
Sure we are!!!!

Bunker

Registered
Reaction score
I'm confused...how did quicklime undervalue ditch-diggers and gas station attendants?

Only in that assuming that they're not included as potential writers, turning the initial question into an exclusionary pondering.

The only validity in saying writers were special would be if you believed that no one is special.

I asked about writers and artistic types because I am addressing writers and artistic types.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score

that was kind of my point; if it is a club at all, it is one without a membership list, dues, or a bouncer at the door.

writers go insane, ditch-diggers do, and everyone else does. But I don't believe writers are uniquely predisposed to it.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Only in that assuming that they're not included as potential writers, turning the initial question into an exclusionary pondering.

bunker, I think you're new and made a mistake here. I never suggested they were not potential writers, you sort of drew that conclusion on your own.

I've worked with folks here who are teachers, clerks, photographers, biologists, and a host of other things, quite possibly including ditch-diggers. They were here because they write. Hell, I'm a biologist myself. My whole point is I don't believe in writers as a "type," which is why I don't believe we're any more prone to insanity, or wearing red shirts, or anything else. We don't stereotype well.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Ahh. I didn't get that at all from quicklime's answer. I read his post as something along the lines of: "Insanity is not exclusive to writers. Anyone from any walk of life can become insane."

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
I question what you (or anyone else) means by "insane." No, seriously. After all, "insanity," is defined by a bunch of people in white coats (who are NOT waiting outside my door right now, I just checked). Or were you not speaking about clinically-defined insanity?

If not, then you're talking about insanity, as defined by the general public? In that case, in general, people that do not conform to generally accepted norms would be considered insane, correct? And if you examine any one individual, I am sure there will be some aspect of their life that is not "normal" (no matter how normal we might think we are) -- which means by using that definition, specifically everyone IS insane.

What does writing have to do with it? :) :)

Bunker

Registered
Reaction score
bunker, I think you're new and made a mistake here. I never suggested they were not potential writers, you sort of drew that conclusion on your own.

In all honesty I'm not trying to start any kind of feud I'm exploring concepts here. You point out that we're not special while at the same time pointing out the fact that because I have made less post than you I am just "new" so it must be my mistake.

My initial question was about whether or not creative types explore their sanity.

"Do you think that, depending on the genre and intent, a writer will eventually question if not lose their sanity?"

I never declared that they were the only people to do so.

I also qualified this by stating that I was referring to writers specifically to writers because this is a writers forum.

"This question could be more broad to include art in general, but this is a site devoted to writing."

I never added any limitations such as only.

I just find that as a creative type you have to be open to all options. Live in the head of contradictory characters. Live in the head of the good guy and the bad guy while at the same time live in the mind of the not so important neighbor in your story.

With having to live with in every possible perspective as you create, do you think it's hard to be ground in a world where you are expected to live as an individual.

I may not have worded it so specifically because I meant it to be a one off before I went to sleep.

I guess this was a rookie mistake :)

Bunker

Registered
Reaction score
Again as Dicky as my last post may sound. I'm just trying to clarify a point and not attack.

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com

No.

[EDIT]:
With having to live with in every possible perspective as you create, do you think it's hard to be ground in a world where you are expected to live as an individual.

No.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

I think we just tend to hear about it when some (successfully) creative person loses their marbles.

And of course, there's that confirmation bias thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.