• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Any easy way to get from paper to computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
Im just starting to write fiction. I love to write, rather than type my stories. I really love using a fountain pen, like the ones I used in my Catholic grammar school in the late 60s and 70s. The words just flow more easily. But I hate copying into my computer. I guess I could revise as I do it, but while working on my first draft, it seems like a huge waste of good time.

Any suggestions as to how to make this painless, or at least a useful use of my time? Thanks!
Nancy

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
There are programs, on Mac computers for instance, where you can use voice dictation, but it has its problems just like regular old typing.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
There's no short-cut that I'm aware of; I think you have to do the typing (or pay someone to type it, but that probably isn't good value.)

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I remember having this discussion before and was told about digital pens. At the time I looked into it, but the ones suggested to me were temporarily out, so I also looked at some other options, but they were more than I wanted to spend without doing further research first.

I also looked at tablets that were made specifically so that transferring writing would be an easy process to digital format, but that was all it did, and they were rather pricey. The only one I saw that was decently priced was only available in Japanese. I know Japanese, but all the reviews were English speakers that didn't know Japanese, so the reviews were kind of limited. I wasn't sure if it had the features that I was looking for.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8598594&highlight=scanner#post8598594

Last edited:

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I guess I could revise as I do it, but while working on my first draft, it seems like a huge waste of good time.

I'm confused. How would revising while you're typing your first draft into your computer be a waste of good time? You're revising. Revising is not wasting time.

So my larger questions is, what is it that you consider a waste of time? Writing your first draft long hand? It's your first draft. Whether long hand or keyboard, first drafts are not wastes of time.

Revising? You're going to have to do that anyway, why not while you're inputting into the computer?

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
It'll take a little while to set it up, but then you'd be able to just read the old stories and they'd turn into something that can be edited. :)

Depending on how fast you type, it feels like it might be a false economy? I can type about half as fast as I can speak, but I don't have to spend time correcting transcription errors.

That said I write a lot of email using Siri on my phone now, so perhaps I'm carping.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
But the OP Wants to handwrite the manuscript, so it's not a question of speed. Rather, it's a question of eventually having it in a form that can be sent to an agent or publisher. :)

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.livescribe.com/en-us/

http://www.wacom.com/en/ca/creative/inkling (if you have Win7, activate the Handwriting module; there is also the Tablet PC pen input software that comes with Win7)

You have to note that true handwriting recognition - not the constrained input method that comes with some computers or some computer gadgets like the above - is still an undergoing research area. Don't expect computers to miraculously understand what you scribble without the help of some form of input method.

Hope this helps.

-cb

TopHat

Rackin' up library fines.
Registered
Reaction score
Won't work on handwritten text, unless they've made some huge advances in the area of OCR.

Always worked for me, but then again I write in a very legible manner. So...your mileage may vary.

Anyway, I handwrite stories too, I just type it into the computer after every five pages. I'm a very fast typist so it doesn't really bother me.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I keep promising myself I would give this a try. Writing out by hand and then transcribing/editing as I go just to give it a whirl around the block.

This thread has renewed my resolve!

TopHat

Rackin' up library fines.
Registered
Reaction score
I would write out a few lines in a very neat and legible way OP and scan it and edit it with the OCR and see what happens.

If it works then you could train yourself to use legible handwriting when you're writing stories. You wouldn't need to stop using cursive, you would just have to switch back and forth

But Torgo is write, your mileage will vary. All of the other options are just as good, maybe even better.

Last edited:

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
There are notebooks that are supposed to be able to put your text into the computer using evernote. I don't know how well they work as I've never tried them because the notebooks are so expensive, but hey, it's a start.

I do handwrite and then type. However I'm a very fast typist so I don't feel like I "waste my time" doing it -- I feel like I gain more than I lose by being able to write without a computer.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Im just starting to write fiction. I love to write, rather than type my stories. I really love using a fountain pen, like the ones I used in my Catholic grammar school in the late 60s and 70s. The words just flow more easily. But I hate copying into my computer. I guess I could revise as I do it, but while working on my first draft, it seems like a huge waste of good time.

You guess correctly, and doing so would be no waste of time. I commonly write in this manner, and find that typing the hand-written stuff into the word-processor helps enormously to clear up simple grammatical glitches, etc. More importantly, it nourishes ideas. I often come up with useful material to include, either in the passage being typed, or for later (or earlier) stuff in the manuscript.

No rule exists that you have to complete a "rough draft" with no alteration before you begin the editing process. Use that time transferring material to the computer to do a first editing pass. You won't regret doing that.

caw

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I love my fountain pens and adore writing short correspondence with them. I would never consider writing a mms with them, and applaud your diligence, Nancy. In my case, I've been using word processors and computing computers for 25 years - my typing is far quicker and more accurate than my handwriting. Carpal tunnel in my right wrist makes long stretches of handwriting impractical. I often take notes and write out whole scenes in a binder, then type/revise later.

If I were going the dictation route, I'd use Dragon.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
It may be worth your while to hire a typist. Provided your handwriting is legible, some typists are blindingly fast and not too expensive. It will still cost you a lot, but if you're not a fast typist yourself, it may be worth the money.

Alternately, find yourself a program to learn typing (the library probably has something; there are probably also free websites for this purpose, but you'd have to look) and become a fast typist.

Learning to touch-type is one of the most useful skills I ever acquired. It's worth the effort. I also found that, after I could touch-type, I rapidly started to find writing by hand a bit aggravating because I couldn't get the words down fast enough, and (like you) I knew I'd have to type it in later anyway. I switched entirely to typing and have never regretted it.

Deleted member 42

You can train OCR programs, especially the pro quality ones, to read Really Good Handwriting, and by that I mean I've scanned medieval manuscripts and professional stenographer's handwriting with about the same level of accuracy as scanning the average printed book.

There are also graphic tablets (i.e. Wacom) using handwriting recognition software, the paid version of Evernote, and various iOS apps with varying degrees of hand writing success. I've as yet not been overwhelmed with any of them, but I've seen some Japanese tablets that are amazing.

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for all of the information and options! I have heard of that Dragon program - and scanning, maybe.

I thought it might be a waste of time because my ADD brain gets caught in changes when I'm typing it up, which is good, but I get distracted, and add and change and subtract so that I take forever to get back to the writing. I appreciate that I can revise, but I need to move forward, too. :) which doesn't happen sometimes when I'm going back.

I'll look into these suggestions and thank you again,
Nancy

Hopefully WLCT

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not tech savvy at all and I'm dreading the day I have to start taking everything from paper and put it on my laptop.And I thought editing and rewrites were nerve racking!! But it's all part of the grand scheme and I know the end product will be great.

Telergic

Overwriting
Registered
Reaction score
The cheapest way that doesn't require you to retype everything yourself is probably to hire a student to do it for you.

jimbro

Registered
Reaction score
... How would revising while you're typing your first draft into your computer be a waste of good time?
...You're going to have to do that anyway, why not while you're inputting into the computer?

This is exactly what I did. My monstrously long (and still not finished) SF manuscript was also written longhand with a fountain pen in several notebooks. I decided it was time to put it in the computer and edit it into a second draft.

Pounding away at the keyboard didn't take as long as I had feared. In addition, I revised/rewrote as I went along. It was a very useful and worthwhile exercise that I recommend to anyone.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
The first thing I'd suggest is getting images of all the pages you've written into the computer. Use a scanner or camera to do this. Then at least you've got a "backup" on your computer, and you can bring up an image of a page and a word processor, and type in some of your manuscript wherever you are with your computer (especially when you're out of range of Internet access - this will give you some thing to do).

Status
Not open for further replies.