What are you reading?

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
"A Study In Scarlet" - having never read a Sherlock Holmes book in my life, I decided to start at the beginning.

What strikes me is how closely the Steven Moffat version stuck to the original text while updating it into the remarkable first episode of "Sherlock."

I can't wait to read the others.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead. Finished the 1st and 2nd in one and a half days. Just finished the 3rd titled Shadow Kissed. Cried like a baby.

I'm about to start the 4th titled Blood Promise. I'm a little hesitant because it's a really emotional read. I swear my copy has water damage from the mount I've cried over it.

Needless to say it's not the first time I've read the series.

Shenanigans!

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Stray Souls by Kate Griffin and moving back into my Wheel of Time frenzy with Winter's Heart. I originally wanted to be able to read the last book immediately on its release, but I did not have enough time with university to read that much.

Reaction score
Finished Old Man's War, and really enjoyed it. Now starting Brandon Sanderson's first Mistborn book, The Final Empire. Been meaning to check out the Writing Excuses podcasters' works for a while.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Finished the 4th book of the Vampire Academy series Titled - Blood Promise by Richelle Mead. Started the 5th titled Spirit Bound.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
The Wind in the Keyhole by Stephen King....I can't help thinking this book he WANTED to write and was inspired to write, where the last 3 of the regular Dark Tower series felt like he was pushing stuff out that was more about getting it done than anything else.

Alexandra Little

What a desolation.
Registered
Reaction score
Been meaning to check out the Writing Excuses podcasters' works for a while.

I'll have to check that out!

I'm currently reading Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journey by Michael Collins (who is best-known as the third Apollo 11 astronaut). It's extremely well-written, sharp, witty, self-depreciating, and engaging. Highly recommend it.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
The Wind in the Keyhole by Stephen King....I can't help thinking this book he WANTED to write and was inspired to write, where the last 3 of the regular Dark Tower series felt like he was pushing stuff out that was more about getting it done than anything else.

I was unsure as to whether I wanted to read it, but since you put it that way...I feel compelled to, now.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Been sidlined by the flu, so I'm into comfort books right now: Patricia Wentworth's Nothing Venture and Beggar's Choice; Georgette Heyer's They Found Him Dead and A Blunt Instrument.

PEBKAC2

Will crit for food.
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Absolute Visions Anthology of Speculative Fiction. I bought it for a few reasons. I enjoy this community and wanted to support the work put into the anthology; I like speculative fiction; and I was really curious to see a slice of writing from the AW community.

I pick up anthologies from time to time, but collections like this (by that I mean multiple authors, and broad themes) are almost always hit-and-miss in terms of my enjoyment. If I like two to three stories and manage to keep from flipping past half the stories in a collection, I feel lucky. Not this time! I found it a very enjoyable read start to finish.

If you've been thinking about picking it up, but aren't quite sure, grab it. If you've crossed it off your reading list, you should reconsider. There isn't a single story that blew me away, (I liked a few a great deal, and the rest a step or two below that), but as a whole it's a really good read.

I don't have a story in the anthology, or even a strong virtual relationship with anybody that does, so I have no hidden agenda here. I've picked up quite a few books based on recommendations in this thread, leading me to discover new authors, so I'm trying to return that favor.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
I'm re-reading Winterdance--The fine madness of running the Iditarod by Gary Paulsen. It's one of the funniest outdoor books, and he has such an appreciation for dogs, wildlife and nature. A really fun read :)

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
50 Shades of Grey by E.L. James. Two words come to mind: "Oh, my."*

*Or, should I say--as I chance a peek (through my lashes) at that beautiful face, while he traces one long, slender finger (oh, the places it's been!) across my lower lip (which, btw, I am biting once again)--

"Holy cow."

:D

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Miss Buncle's Book - D. E. Stevenson