UK meet thread [Sat 27 April 2013, London]

Status
Not open for further replies.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Need help? I know where some of the original stone ended up... though you may have to ask the church nicely if you can have it back :)

:)

Typical.

My sister is a Church Historian, which can lead to some pretty 'interesting' discussions . . .

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Well, all I can say is go to Hexham abbey, go into the crypt and on the stairs in look up at the ceiling. Wonder what a Latin inscription commemorating a dead Roman legionary is doing in a church. Also, St Wilfrid's chair, famous for it's 'ability to force people to tell the truth' is made from a block of Hadrian's wall stone. In fact, most of the abbey is made of stone taken from the wall.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Is Yorkshire North? I had a really nice time there this summer. Well, mostly. Out of the four places we stayed two were excellent, one was so so and the other shall never be spoken of again - unless you insist!

We've met in London once - maybe twice for some - so shouldn't we give another part of the country the horror of an AW meet?

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
We've met in London once - maybe twice for some - so shouldn't we give another part of the country the horror of an AW meet?

I'm pretty central for most of England. London is the most expensive place in the universe but I'm easy like Sunday morning.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I can't travel too far afield, alas, but if it's easier for everyone else then I don't mind sitting it out. I'm sure someone can take a tangerine with a smiley face drawn on it to represent me :D

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Is Yorkshire North?

Is John Smith's Bitter not the nectar of the Gods? Is Scarborough not Elysium on Earth? Is Geoffrey Boycott not a fine raconteur and sportsman of genius? Is a plate of tripe and cow heel not a fine meal?

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I can't travel too far afield, alas, but if it's easier for everyone else then I don't mind sitting it out. I'm sure someone can take a tangerine with a smiley face drawn on it to represent me :D

I always had you down as more of a satsuma kind of girl.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, all I can say is go to Hexham abbey, go into the crypt and on the stairs in look up at the ceiling. Wonder what a Latin inscription commemorating a dead Roman legionary is doing in a church. Also, St Wilfrid's chair, famous for it's 'ability to force people to tell the truth' is made from a block of Hadrian's wall stone. In fact, most of the abbey is made of stone taken from the wall.

That's Brilliant! [and in a spooky coincidence, I am think of visiting Hexham and Housesteads - it's free entry over the winter due to the refurb of the visitor's centre until the spring - on Saturday. :)

There's also a good one near Melrose. A piece of Roman stone in the centre of a garden wall in the town of Newstead.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Assuming I can make it (and am not, as often happens to me, trapped in the 1950s, the 1830s, the 1890s, mythical Atlantis or a friend's stag party*) then I will travel to where ever needed. I would say the Midlands is sort of the middle of the country and so maybe equal effort for all except Midlanders (of which I am no longer one so I am not biased in this statement this time...).

*March is indeed a busy month... I think I am doing at least 3 of these that I can remember off the top of my head...

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Nothing planned yet... we have yet to reach a consensus on the relative grimness of the north in comparison with the south :)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
We should head west.

Scrumpy! Hopefully I'll be off the meds by then and can have more than my one free pint at the end of a shift. It's lonely, that one pint. But it's free so I'm bloody having it! ETA: We could all dress as the Wurzels...

Last edited:

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Come to Wiltshire!

We have cider. :D

*hic*

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
West is fine with me. Bath or Bristol? Mind, most places are west from here! Please not February or March - too cold. April? I might have some money by then!

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Brizzle's too far to make it back here on the same day. I think last time we ended up thinking the East Midlands was probably the most equidistant - Oakham or Stamford or somewhere like that.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Stamford is good. Just round the corner from Burleigh which has a huge park for picnics.

Seun will you be bringing the moggy?

Status
Not open for further replies.