Share Your Successes!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Just a minor victory since PJ went on sale at Kobo. Planet Janitor is #31 is SF space opera, # 59 in SF adventure and # 128 in Science Fiction. It sure is nice to be ahead and in the same footing of all those Star Wars titles for the space opera listing, forever how long it lasts.

How are y'all doing?

tri

Nick Russell

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Tri, I'm very happy for you!

EngineerTiger

Writing HF Again, Thank God
Registered
Reaction score
Website
grayarmybrat.com
That's great news, Tri.

I picked up a little bump over the weekend. The narrator for the audio book needs a bit more time (which I granted of course since I prefer that he doesn't rush it and the original deadline was his). I have the big ad coming out in July for my target audience so we'll see if that generates anything beyond the mere sizzle of a dud.

Nick Russell

Registered
Reaction score
Beverly,
I'm about halfway through book 3 in the Black Knights of the Hudson series, and it is just as good as the first two! Congratulations!

EngineerTiger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
grayarmybrat.com
Thanks, Nick, glad the third is holding up for you.

I'm so happy you're getting that kind of exposure.

Thank you, too, Wesley. Hope your own book journey goes very well.

maggie2

Registered
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I spent any time here at the water cooler, but I've just spent an hour reading this whole thread.

Congratulations to everyone who has had some success and some who have had exceptional success. It is always inspiring to hear about others who are doing well.

I write cookbooks, so that's quite a bit different from most of you here who all seem to be writing fiction. My first four cookbooks came out right at the end of January and then I had two additional ones come out in March. And yes, I wrote them all myself, I did not copy and paste from the Internet.

I actually wrote two best-selling print cookbooks back in the early 1990s so I have had experience in the field.

Anyway, I think I've sold a total of about 7,500 copies so far. Each book has had one day of free downloads with over 15,000 being downloaded for each book as well.

I am thinking about adding to the collection and also thinking about creating a compilation of all the books in a paper edition through Createspace. Not sure yet but I'll make a decision soon.

This thread is really inspirational and I have gained much from reading through it. I'm thankful to have found it.

Marg
www.grandmas-best-recipes.com

Nick Russell

Registered
Reaction score
This is the review I just posted on Amazon for Beverly Gray's third book in the excellent Black Knights of the Hudson series:

This was my third book in the Black Knights of the Hudson series, and they keep me reading and hooked on them. Beverly Gray knows how to tell a story in a style that few can match. The minute I finished this installment, I bought the next two in the series.

WARNING: Don't start the Black Knights series unless you have plenty of time to devote to reading, because they're like peanuts. You can't stop with just one. My biggest complaint about Ms. Gray's work is that I spend so much time reading her books that I'm behind on writing my own!

EngineerTiger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
grayarmybrat.com
Heaven's to Betsy, Nick. If that one doesn't make my head explode with pride, nothing will. Glad I'm holding your interest and the quality is staying the course for you.

I've been so buried in research, I haven't had a chance to read anything fun in quite awhile. I have your first on my Kindle as well as Tri's first prequel so, once I get Book 6 finished, I may take a little break to see what the rest of you have been up to. Still have to snoop around here and get some of the rest of the gang's books downloaded.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
WTG, Maggie. Cookbooks never go out of style and have great longevity.

Nick, fabulous as always. You have a great series going. It was nice to see you in the top rankings on other sites, as well.

As insignificant as it is compared to Amazon, my Kobo ranks are very impressive, and have been holding up for a very long time. Minor victory, but victory nevertheless. And it's not all about me, it's for my publisher, who has shown exemplary behavior with a constant and unswerving need to better our product and name. He is the most moral person I've ever met on the internet and certainly deserves any little perks that come his way.

tri--red-shifting

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Hi Tri -

Do you do anything specific to market to Kobo users? My book is available on Kobo and I've been wondering if there is a way to reach out!

I just have a SF book listed on Kobo, and it was just recently (a month ago) that my publisher put it there. Heck, I'd never checked the Kobo listings before until a couple weeks ago. My agent confirmed that it's been doing really well there. I really have no idea why. My other titles are a paranormal romance and a prequel short story, but they are nowhere near as successful in rank as the SF title. It's a mystery to me.

tri

Nick Russell

Registered
Reaction score
Beverly, here is an e-mail I got from my cousin tonight. I turned her on to Black Knights a while back:

Just finished the last 2 Black Knight books, have bought read all 5 of them now. They were really great. Now have to wait for her to write the next one in the series.

EngineerTiger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
grayarmybrat.com
Thanks for the update, Nick. It means so very much to me to hear that folks are enjoying the books. Tell your cousin I really appreciate her comments and that I'm still hoping to get Book 6 out sometime in August.

Last edited:

Hildegarde

A newb in the fog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nightmarefactory.com
Beverly, here is an e-mail I got from my cousin tonight. I turned her on to Black Knights a while back:

Just finished the last 2 Black Knight books, have bought read all 5 of them now. They were really great. Now have to wait for her to write the next one in the series.

Congrats on the fans, Bev - and Nick so sweet of you to recommend and then pass this on.

(Smiling happily at success stories)

EngineerTiger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
grayarmybrat.com
Nick has been very supportive, Hildegarde, and I appreciate his taking the time to read the books and then post a review for each one. Thanks to his mention of the books amongst his RV friends, I've reached an audience I might not have otherwise encountered. I've posted a link to his first book (still haven't started it due to research-heavy issues) on my Facebook page just in case some of my readers are looking for the next good mystery to read.

This is what I find so terrific about AW. In spite of some of the differences in philosophy we encounter around here, for the most part, members do encourage and support each other's writing aspirations.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Okay, The Wolfen Strain officially went on sale yesterday morning. I used all of my promo tactics and devices that I'd used for PJ, only I didn't have any say over the price or any free trials. And I'm not listed on Amazon yet (they can take their sweet time or slap it up there), but I'm awaiting its posting.

I'm currently at the #1 slot for Thriller and the # 2 slot for Horror on BookStrand. Admittedly, this is a fleeting thing since these are obviously first and second-day purchases. And the darn thing changes every hour, so I'll be slipping right out, I'm sure. But then again, I didn't expect it. And in my opinion, that cover is just god-awful. Sorry. It's large, in charge and in your face with no apologies. I won't even clog this forum with the pixels.

http://www.bookstrand.com/catalog/295/thrillers

Tri

ETA: This book was for someone else--Michael Crichton. I dedicated it to him, because of his inspiration and dogged determination to color outside the lines. He acknowledged this when he was very sick. I miss him more than ever now.

Last edited:

Nick Russell

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Tri! I hope it is a bestseller.