Kindle "Singles"

Status
Not open for further replies.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
They've updated their submissions page now to say 4 weeks, but on the KDP forums, I've heard from people waiting 7-8 weeks. I guess a polite inquiry wouldn't hurt, as long it doesn't trigger an automatic rejection :)

LawrenceElliott

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.LawrenceElliott.com
I've submitted to Kindle Singles twice. The first time, it took about 2 weeks to get a rejection. I've now been waiting for about 18 days. Just as with the first, I'll go the indie route at KDP if that answer is also "No."

sogrady

Registered
Reaction score
It's five weeks for me as of today, so I just sent a polite second inquiry. Will post back when/if I hear anything.

sogrady

Registered
Reaction score
Finally heard back (not a fit), and the issue was on my end, not theirs. We did a site migration and had some DNS issues with email, and their original reply bounced.

So even if they didn't take my book this time around, their reply was timely.

Blondieco

True Crime Memoir
Registered
Reaction score
I searched like crazy for information on Kindle Singles. What I found was mysterious and seriously lacking in good information. Someone even put their own site up at kindlesingle.net, but it got removed quickly....it was really the only good informational site I'd found yet...gone quickly. Since Kindle Singles are relatively new, I think they may be revamping their ideas over there. Just my feelings, because it all seems so mixed up right now. I think they may only have one editor or something

jrector

Banned
Reaction score
I searched like crazy for information on Kindle Singles.

I've got a Kindle Single coming out next week. What kind of info are you looking for? If I know, I'd be happy to share. If I don't know, I can always ask.

Blondieco

True Crime Memoir
Registered
Reaction score
So you've been approved by the editors? It is my understanding that all Kindles Singles must be approved, otherwise they suggest that you just publish on regular Kindle publishing...

I guess my real question is what exactly are they looking for as content? Seems there are loads of journalists doing the Singles thing, which is fine, but what's next?

nonasuch

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bit curious as to whether Kindle Singles will take YA fantasy, because I've got a novella-in progress that's going to be too awkward a length for most places.

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
I guess my real question is what exactly are they looking for as content?

This is what they have to say:

We're looking for compelling ideas expressed at their natural length--writing that doesn't easily fall into the conventional space limitations of magazines or print books. Kindle Singles are typically between 5,000 and 30,000 words.

A Kindle Single can be on any topic.

J. Heather Leigh

Registered
Reaction score
I feel weird making this comment since I am so new here. My book was rejected by Kindle Singles and I promise I'm not whining. However, when looking through the selected pieces I notice a high number of male authors. Nine of the the top ten are male right now. I'm not claiming sexism here, not at all. I'm just wondering if the editors happen to prefer that voice and those topics. My book is geared toward Christian women and that doesn't seem to fly there. I published it myself through Kindle.

Aztecsince79

Registered
Reaction score
Website
riffelbooks.wordpress.com
I submitted to Kindle Singles about 10 days ago. I get the feeling they accept what strikes their fancy at the time. They seem to lean toward non-fiction but will take fiction if it's a little different than the norm. Just my observation.

jrector

Banned
Reaction score
I get the feeling they accept what strikes their fancy at the time. They seem to lean toward non-fiction but will take fiction if it's a little different than the norm. Just my observation.

They do lean more toward non-fiction and long form journalism, but they still want fiction, it's just not their main focus.

They have a ton of customer data at their fingertips, and that gives them some idea what their readers want to read. I'm sure if you write something that they think will appeal to their readers, you'll have a better chance of making it through the gate than if you just submit blind.

metamemoir

Banned
Reaction score
Website
thegreatamericanmemoir.com
How to submit

• If the work is not yet published, you can submit a manuscript or a detailed pitch for your Kindle Single. Send as much material as you have available to [email protected] and include your name and a writing sample.
• All manuscripts submitted as attachments must be accompanied by a cover letter with a detailed summary of the submission.

Does this mean that if I have a full short story manuscript, I should just submit it in the body of an email without a cover letter? Or does it mean that all manuscripts MUST be submitted as attachments AND accompanied by a cover letter?

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Does this mean that if I have a full short story manuscript, I should just submit it in the body of an email without a cover letter? Or does it mean that all manuscripts MUST be submitted as attachments AND accompanied by a cover letter?

It means, if you want to send the full ms, send it as an attachment with a cover letter.

dogpie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to send my novella to the Kindle Singles editors. Any last minute tips/suggestions?

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds to me like an avenue for Amazon to act as an agent/publisher for Short Story authors, instead of going the self-published route. Just my initial impression. I've been to busy writing and putting short stories up to really take a hard look at Kindle Singles. Maybe once I start making it into the Smashwords Premium catalog...
So does anyone know... I would assume they do your covers for you for this program?
Just noticed Margaret Atwood is a kindle singles author. I'm getting the impression this tends towards literary short stories? Or maybe not.
Still not sure if you Amazon pays for and designs the book covers or if the high royalties mean it is kind of a hybrid of self publishing and E-pub and you are supposed to provide them yourself.

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting the impression kindle singles are geared towards literary not commercial fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.