Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > AW Roundtable > AW Regional Meet and Greet
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #751
Shakesbear
knows a hawk from a handsaw

Shakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakesbear View Post
. Sigh . . . so when shall we do it again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint it Pink View Post
Is this the right place to say I would like to come in there is another one held in London?

PS: Hi to Mr Flibble, we met at Fantasy in the Court. I made it here at last.
Quote:
Great pics - thanks Seun. Funnily enough I am the one with the Bear.

Agree with Crunchy - lets do it again soon. Anyone want to suggest dates?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyblanket;8143193[B
]Actually if I have my own place by then, you'd all be welcome[/B]. But seun would have to sit in the shed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesecondglance View Post
I'm sorry I missed it. So when is the next one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyblanket View Post
Hmm...would a winter meet be too soon?
Quote:
Would you put down some straw for him?

How about Autumn? Cos if we do a winter one it will snow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadswordbabe View Post
Really sorry I missed this, what with penises and all. Life stuff intervened. Looks like you all had a great time. So, when's the next one?
Terie, it looks like the discussion in this thread has already veered towards another southern meet.

And my large kingdom for a little grave,
A little little grave, an obscure grave . . .

Shakesbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #752
JimmyB27
Dazed & Confused

JimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Are we really all too simple to talk about two different meets in the same place?

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
Douglas Adams
JimmyB27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #753
Shakesbear

Shakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthoodShakesbear is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyB27 View Post
Are we really all too simple to talk about two different meets in the same place?
Of course we are. I blame the four foot penis.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #754
seun
Horror Man

seun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Of course we are. I blame the four foot penis.
My ears are burning.

My site My twitter My facebook
seun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #755
firedrake
practical experience, FTW

firedrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsfiredrake is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Terie, it looks like the discussion in this thread has already veered towards another southern meet.
Hopefully I can make the next one. Did not anticipate April being such a shitty, shitty month for me.
firedrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #756
Shakesbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seun View Post
My ears are burning.
As long as it is your ears . . . ears is an anagram for arse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedrake View Post
Hopefully I can make the next one. Did not anticipate April being such a shitty, shitty month for me.
Awww . . . hopefully you will be able to make the next meet.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:26 AM   #757
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by seun View Post
My ears are burning.

You're taller than four feet.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #758
JFitchett92

JFitchett92 has a spectacular auraJFitchett92 has a spectacular aura
To throw myself into a strange and unusual conversation...

I'd like to do a southern meet. Missed the april one due to being on honeymoon at the time, and north would be way too far for me. Plus, I'm sad because there are no writer's groups here and I can't attend any conventions this year :'(
Silver Linings (YA Sci-Fi): Editing
JFitchett92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #759
Shakesbear

JF - Terrie has said she would organise a place and date up north during the summer, but that should not stop you from proposing a date and place down south and throwing it open to discussion. Though may be dates and places might be better than just one suggestion. The one we had back in April was good.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #760
Shara
Fix it in the Rewrite

Shara is a glorious beacon of lightShara is a glorious beacon of light
I missed April's meet due to being away, and I would be happy to help organise another London-based meet.

We need some suggestions on dates, I think.

MY BOOKS:

Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #761
Fran
Slate grey mole person

Fran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFitchett92 View Post
To throw myself into a strange and unusual conversation...

I'd like to do a southern meet. Missed the april one due to being on honeymoon at the time, and north would be way too far for me. Plus, I'm sad because there are no writer's groups here and I can't attend any conventions this year :'(
South would be way too far for me. It's impossible to please everyone with these things, but they've always been in London so far. You don't have much to worry about.

WIPs - The Karma Keeper Urban fantasy/magical realism thingie 44,397 of 85,000

The Poison Master 128 of 85,000

The Judgement Tree 1,028 of 85,000

Family history, complete. Awaiting copy from Createspace.

Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #762
Shakesbear

Fran, Terrie is, I think, in Manchester and she has said that she would be arranging a summer meet there. There is no reason that I know of for there not to be more than one meet being planned. There might be a reason though, for there to be a separate thread for each meet - to lower the confusion level!

Shara - what time of year were you thinking of?

Old 06-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #763
Raindrop

Raindrop is a glorious beacon of lightRaindrop is a glorious beacon of lightRaindrop is a glorious beacon of light
I'd love to come to one of these meetings (in London, or on one of the main bus roads)!
Old 06-26-2013, 02:23 AM   #764
JFitchett92

So let's say (hypothetically) we were to arrange another southern meet. Would London be the ideal location? Or would Southampton/Portsmouth be easier for some? Or maybe Brighton?

And as for a date, would late August/September be too soon?

Throw some ideas at me and I'll see what I can arrange. I'm open to suggestions.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #765
Shakesbear

I think for a southern meet London is sort of central for many of us. Three of us - Seun, Priene and I - travelled down from various locations in East Anglia. Jimmy came from the Land of Roundabouts, aka Milton Keynes. Going to the south coast would add time and money to the trip - train into London, tube to get to the station to get the train to the south coast. As for dates - you could start a thread to get some ideas of month and then a poll of various dates.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #766
JFitchett92

Quote:
I think for a southern meet London is sort of central for many of us. Three of us - Seun, Priene and I - travelled down from various locations in East Anglia. Jimmy came from the Land of Roundabouts, aka Milton Keynes. Going to the south coast would add time and money to the trip - train into London, tube to get to the station to get the train to the south coast. As for dates - you could start a thread to get some ideas of month and then a poll of various dates.
Wasn't sure how many were driving or coming via train. I'm sure you can get discounts on trains into London, I don't travel that way often.

I'll make up a new thread and anyone interested can drop in.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #767
Shakesbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFitchett92 View Post
Wasn't sure how many were driving or coming via train. I'm sure you can get discounts on trains into London, I don't travel that way often.

I'll make up a new thread and anyone interested can drop in.
I can get discounts on rail tickets because (going into smug mode) I have a senior rail card! I think tickets can be booked ninety days in advance - that is when the cheapest ones go on sale. Not too sure who drives in, but the price of petrol + congestion charge + cost of parking can make for a very expensive day.

Looking forward to the new thread!

Old 06-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #768
Shara
Fix it in the Rewrite

Shara is a glorious beacon of lightShara is a glorious beacon of light
End August good for me, but it's holiday season and a bad time for many people.

Early September might be better?

MY BOOKS:

Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #769
Shakesbear

JF has started a poll here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272682

Old 07-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #770
flid76
Almost Human

flid76 is on a distinguished road
I would love to attend a meet, north for me though. Any time in August is good.
flid76 is offline   Reply With Quote