Teens Writing for Teens, issue 6

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah...

It's important you have more than just a premise when coming up with plots. You need characters and conflict and plot.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I know. So what seems like a better concept?

CampWrimo seems to be in June and August this year. I was so sure it was July.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Whichever you feel most passionate about and have the most ideas for. No one but you can tell what that is.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
The second one. I have some cool ideas for it.

Now to figure out which month is best if it's June and August.

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, hello, hello, everyone! For the Americans, hope you're having an okay Memorial Day. For everyone else, how are ya'll doing?

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm good. You?

I know with my new WIP (The Prince Charming List), I want to do a visual timeline and work in Starbucks mostly (don't ask me why, but I feel like Starbucks is going to help), so I'm going to do CampWrimo in June, unless it moves back to July, and I need to figure how to do a good visual timeline...

ALSO: BEN BARNES! <3

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
I am doing pretty good! :) Just planning out my new WIP. How do you create a visual timeline? What's The Prince Charming List about? And what's Campwrimo?

Sorry for all of the questions! lol

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
CampWrimo: http://campnanowrimo.org/

TPCL: Three best friends make a list of the qualities of the ideal Prince Charming and set out to find three guys like that. Obviously, things don't turn out as well as they thought. Also has potential for epic LOLs.

Visual timeline: To me, a timeline of events, using pictures and colours to inspire me.

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
Man, I wish I could do CampWriMo, but I am such a procrastinator, lol. Your WIP sounds like it's really fun to write! :)

And I've never done a visual timeline before, but that sounds like it would be really helpful, lol. I do have an inspiration board. I collect pictures for my stories and use them as inspiration. It helps a lot.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing that, only if I want to write in Starbucks a lot, I need something I can carry around. And I might use pictures from magazines or that, so... you know... Otherwise I'd use my trifold board for that and the timeline.

Maybe I'll just do that and the mood playlist that I'll use when I'm stuck (first novel where I write mostly to the sound of people talking and "Starbucks music"? Maybe)

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Yup! Scrivener does it all. You can upload pictures and such, you can make a board of plotting cards, and you can make a playlist. All good.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I do not remember the playlist thing.

If only I could afford to have it for more than 30 days.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
The moment of frustration when you finally have a book roughly plotted and your brain goes, "oh, here's an idea I forgot to give you that can change the whole thing all together!"

Le rot.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
:hi:

I read both Diverg3nt and Insurg3nt in the last few days. Although I have a few problems with it, especially Insurg3nt, the series is extremely entertaining and I love how everything comes together.

What's up with everyone?

I hate to ask, but would anyone be willing to beta-read the first 3k of my WIP (a YA thriller)? I've rewritten the first few thousand words about 4 times and I really need some feedback now. It's a bit too long for SYW, though. It won't take very long to read since it's only a snippet, and I'm not looking for a line by line. Just a, is this any good? Rep or PM if interested. Thanks. :)

Oh and school's out in a little over two weeks! :snoopy: :hooray:

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
Starbucks music is awesome, Lisa! I don't remember a time where I was disappointed with their music selection and albums over the years. Damn, now I want some Starbucks, but I think they are closed for Memorial Day. :<

It's funny that you should mention Divergent and Insurgent, MysteryRiter, because I was just reading reviews for both of them and debating on whether I should go read them or not.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Sadly, I don't think the (sort of) local one I go to has music... as far as I remember.

Also, I wish I could afford Scrivener.

Maybe I'll do a folder or ... something.

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
£27 seems really cheap when I look at it, but I bet it's an ass-load of money when you convert it to American dollars. :<

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
£27 seems really cheap when I look at it, but I bet it's an ass-load of money when you convert it to American dollars. :<

I'm not clear on the exact specifications of an "ass-load" of money :tongue but it's a shade over $40.

Missus Akasha

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not clear on the exact specifications of an "ass-load" of money :tongue but it's a shade over $40.

LOL. When you are a penniless college student, $40 is indeed an assload of money. I apologize for my crude language. It's the southerner in me.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, over £30 for some items would be too much for me as a student.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
LOL. When you are a penniless college student, $40 is indeed an assload of money. I apologize for my crude language. It's the southerner in me.

Just teasing. :tongue I was a penniless student too, but since I never buy anything (no clothes, no shoes, no haircuts, no drinking) I didn't mind spending a little bit on a program I used daily. I actually got Scrivener at 50% off with a Nanowrimo discount code, so it was even cheaper for me.