The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market Thread

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I subbed something there this morning (had just woken up fuzzy head, so read guidelines (three times) but didn't read page about story being visible to all members for commenting/voting/whatever). We'll see what happens. Personally, i'm never big on the whole vote for the best stories thing. Too easy for writers to game the system. However, at least identifying info has to be removed from manuscripts before submission.
On their "About us" page, they say:
And if you subscribe you gain access to our submission system where you can read, rate and comment on stories for future issues.
<snip>
And if you submit a story you gain access to our submission system where you can read, rate and comment on stories for future issues.
So no voting. I wonder if you get to see the comments left on your story, 'cause that might be interesting, to see what others think. I often find readers (in general) aren't quite as hard on a story as editors are.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Izz, did you recieve a confirmation email when you submitted your story?

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Oops. Never mind, my story is already up :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
So no voting. I wonder if you get to see the comments left on your story, 'cause that might be interesting, to see what others think. I often find readers (in general) aren't quite as hard on a story as editors are.
Yeah, though i get the impression that comments left on stories will be weighed up when selecting which ones to publish. It could end up being a bit like Baen's Bar, which is not a model i especially like.

Izz, did you recieve a confirmation email when you submitted your story?
Nope :) Just went up a hour or so later.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com

You do get to see the comments on the story, if you want to, according to the FAQ:

After publication, all authors (successful or otherwise) will be provided with an average rating and comments from readers if they have asked to receive them. We also publish a distribution of all ratings so authors have a general idea where they stand in the grand scheme of things.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
So I see that Plasma Frequency responds with personaly feedback. To anyone who has submitted to them, is their feedback very useful? Thanks in advance :)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, though i get the impression that comments left on stories will be weighed up when selecting which ones to publish. It could end up being a bit like Baen's Bar, which is not a model i especially like.
I'm not familiar with Baen's Bar. My biggest concern is that you get some not-so-well-read subscribers (or writers) making "I don't get this" comments, because they have no idea what symbolism is, or don't understand certain styles.

You do get to see the comments on the story, if you want to, according to the FAQ:
Ah, well that's cool. I can see how many people I confused, haha.

(I'm still curious about this, so may sub a humor piece to test the waters.)

Also, another new pro-rate zine popped up: TM Publishing.

One thing I find odd is that they want you to pitch your short story and have an outline. Is it really that hard to read a short story? (I can understand it for the novellas, but for flash fiction???)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Also, another new pro-rate zine popped up: TM Publishing.

One thing I find odd is that they want you to pitch your short story and have an outline. Is it really that hard to read a short story? (I can understand it for the novellas, but for flash fiction???)
Ick!

Also, Kristine Kathryn Rusch and Dean Wesley Smith are running a kickstarter for a new fiction antho series called Fiction River. They've already hit their target, and there's still 26 days to go. Linkage.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Also, Kristine Kathryn Rusch and Dean Wesley Smith are running a kickstarter for a new fiction antho series called Fiction River. They've already hit their target, and there's still 26 days to go. Linkage.
:hooray:

And of course they hit their target already: they're awesome. :D I really enjoy Rusch's blog, shedding light on the shady aspects of publishing. Learned lots from her.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know what's up with Earthbound fiction? They accepted a story of mine for their upcoming Science Fiction antho, but they've been totally quiet on their website and on Duo for months, and the intended release date has now passed.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Does anyone know what's up with Earthbound fiction? They accepted a story of mine for their upcoming Science Fiction antho, but they've been totally quiet on their website and on Duo for months, and the intended release date has now passed.
Not sure either, though i don't have high hopes. I keep on meaning to query, but then forget.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Crowded has somewhat exploded. Last I checked there were 8 stories up, now there's almost two dozen. I planned on reading and rating all of the stories, but now it seems a bit out of my league. Honestly looking forward to reading the comments/ratings I get....Oh I hope they're good....

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure either, though i don't have high hopes. I keep on meaning to query, but then forget.

I just sent them an email. I'll report back when/if they respond...

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
So the folks behind Dark Faith 2 sent out an email, including links to their blog with an interesting break-down of submissions and stories that made it into the antho, as well as a discount for submitters on the new antho. Even through they rejected me, this sort of makes up for it.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Those stats re the solicited subs that were rejected is very interesting. Far higher acceptance rate than slush, obviously, but by no means was a solicited story a sure sell.

And def: they didn't reject you, they only rejected your story ;)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
And def: they didn't reject you, they only rejected your story ;)
Haha, that's true. But I do consider my stories (well, some of 'em) to be weird, twisted extensions of myself, perhaps not for public consumption.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Call for short story subs--only places this is being advertised is on AW and the editor's site, so that'll probably mean less slush to compete with (though of course, our slush is a much higher quality than general slush) :)

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Earthbound Fiction got back to me a few days ago, though I was away and didn't see till just now. It's good news - they still exist! Basically, they are running behind schedule but hope to have the anthology out by the end of August.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Earthbound Fiction got back to me a few days ago, though I was away and didn't see till just now. It's good news - they still exist! Basically, they are running behind schedule but hope to have the anthology out by the end of August.
Great stuff. Thanks, Nat! :)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Call for short story subs--only places this is being advertised is on AW and the editor's site, so that'll probably mean less slush to compete with (though of course, our slush is a much higher quality than general slush) :)

Everything I see on that thread points to this publisher not being a professional, in any sense of the word. I would be extremely uncomfortable submitting there, or even spreading the word about their publication.

Don't get me wrong - I love new markets. Not only am I running a new market myself, I aggressively submit to them and am happy to work with new and even inexperienced publishers, but this particular individual:

* Shows no industry experience other than a mention of publishing something somewhere "under a pseudonym"

* Has only a vague idea of what she wants to publish, hoping to build her anthologies based on what subs come in

* Appears to have no business plan whatsoever other than to throw five stories together and upload them to Amazon

* Wants to grab full rights for TWO YEARS for a penny per word -- with a very unprofessional language that talks about assigning over copyright etc.

I would stay far, far away for now and hope that this individual learns the accepted industry practices and chooses to use them in the future instead of just doing her own thing.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Everything I see on that thread points to this publisher not being a professional, in any sense of the word. I would be extremely uncomfortable submitting there, or even spreading the word about their publication.

Don't get me wrong - I love new markets. Not only am I running a new market myself, I aggressively submit to them and am happy to work with new and even inexperienced publishers, but this particular individual:

* Shows no industry experience other than a mention of publishing something somewhere "under a pseudonym"

* Has only a vague idea of what she wants to publish, hoping to build her anthologies based on what subs come in

* Appears to have no business plan whatsoever other than to throw five stories together and upload them to Amazon

* Wants to grab full rights for TWO YEARS for a penny per word -- with a very unprofessional language that talks about assigning over copyright etc.

I would stay far, far away for now and hope that this individual learns the accepted industry practices and chooses to use them in the future instead of just doing her own thing.
tbh, i doubt she'll receive very many subs. She's advertising here and on her website only. It's also very obvious from the thread that she has enthusiasm but little knowledge of how zine and antho publishing works. Most of the peeps who surf the Paying Markets subforum, and this one, would be savvy enough to recognize that, particularly if they read the rest of the thread.

Personally, though, i applaud her enthusiasm. Which is why i've offered advice in that thread in the hopes that she'll not only take it on, but spend a bit more time researching how things work :).

Maybe, Alex, if you feel strongly enough, you might want to consider voicing your opinion in that thread. :) She's responded well enough to light criticism, so perhaps she's ready for something a bit stronger.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe, Alex, if you feel strongly enough, you might want to consider voicing your opinion in that thread. :) She's responded well enough to light criticism, so perhaps she's ready for something a bit stronger.

I thought it was against the rules of the Paying Markets forum to badger the original poster to the degree I did here? Definitely criticizing pay rates is a no-no over there...

However, if you or anyone else would like to point her to my post here, you're welcome to do so. I didn't say anything here that I would not repeat to her directly.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I didn't see you criticizing the pay, Alex. It hadn't crossed my mind since I've, unfortunately, seen a lot of anthos grab for 2-3 years exclusive rights at a token amount. I guess you can consider them a step-up from the non-paying anthos.

I think she'll learn quick, tho. I mean you have to if you want to survive in the business.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I thought it was against the rules of the Paying Markets forum to badger the original poster to the degree I did here? Definitely criticizing pay rates is a no-no over there...
I didn't see your post as badgering at all :) I thought all the points you raised were valid (and i didn't see any criticism of the pay rate; the length of time she wants exclusive rights for is worrying, as is her lack of understanding--still--re rights and copyright).

Your points 1 and 4 are things that will likely put people off submitting to her, and 2 and 3 don't bode well for her recouping any of her earnings.

But yeah, i guess not piling on is probably good. Hmm... seeing as i've already engaged her in that thread, in a day or two i might follow up with your points, if you're okay with that :)