F1 2014: Year of the Six

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
A friend in the UK turned me on to F1. I love driving, but just regular driving. I've never really cared for racing with the possible exception of rally racing, but then just in quick glimpses.

He was telling me about Niki Lauda and the story was so compelling that I started reading up on F1. Its history is so compact because the field is so limited that a narrative thread was readily apparent and I was hooked. Started watching in '05 and have gotten to attend to races. I absolutely love it.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
It was a great race! And as a Vettel fan, I thought the way he responded to Ricciardo's win was fantastic - he looked genuinely pleased. That despite Ricciardo straight up beating him in the race.

So many great drives out there. I'm not a fan of Rosberg at all, but he did a stunning job just keeping the car on the track, let alone going for the podium.

I think Perez caused that horrible accident - and I'm so glad both him and Massa are okay - but up to that point he'd driven amazingly well, massively outperforming the Hulk, who I would say hands down is a better driver. Massa also drove fantastically well and probably would have taken Vettel for the podium.

Shout outs to my man Jenson for a great fourth place, thanks to a double overtake on the penultimate lap (!), and JEV who seems to have bounced back from a dreadful run of form at the start of the year.

But it's really all about Ricciardo. The boy's a wonder. Great, gutsy driving and he genuinely deserved to win. It's just a shame this year that it takes a double mechanical failure on the Mercedes for anyone else to get close.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
He was telling me about Niki Lauda and the story was so compelling that I started reading up on F1. Its history is so compact because the field is so limited that a narrative thread was readily apparent and I was hooked. Started watching in '05 and have gotten to attend to races. I absolutely love it.

Here where I live, the TV has aired the Formula One Documentary "1" enough times that I think I've seen it twice at least by now. That historic look at the sport makes me cringe every time a car spins now. I know safety has gotten so much better, but the documentary drilled into me just how crazy dangerous it is. So whether or not it's Pastor, airborne, and sliding over Alonso... or a practice shunt by Bianchi, each one now makes me gasp for air! =)

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I'm watching that right now and I think I may have to turn it off. Some days that much horror is harder to take than others. :( I am so, so, so glad there are many more safety innovations and regulations now, even though nothing removes all the danger.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
*watches qualifying from Austria*

*faints*

Seriously though, how can you go wrong racing martinis?

Last edited:

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
*watches first 20 minutes of Silverstone qualifying*

*turns tv off*

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Was he really?

I mean the TV guys said he might be...
but sometimes I think they just say stuff like that to peek interest.

I mean srsly.
Imagine being a team principle at Williams or Scooter today...
There's something to really worry about.

Stop letting them play you Lewis!

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
No, the reporters got a hold of him just after he got out of the car and he was seething. He told them that he couldn't even talk to them at that moment. He was stunned and furious.

It was his decision to give up the lap, but it never occurred to him that sector 3 would have improved to make up a full two seconds.

Q3 was crazy. But Lewis isn't putting it on anyone but himself. I'm sure he's sick about it.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I cannot believe that I don't get to see the race on the tele until 5pm tonight?

Ahh!

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
There were 3 things I really enjoyed about today's race.

Valtteri, of course, is the first.
The second was that several lap scrap between the fifth and sixth place cars...
had me laughing so hard I fell off the couch! ;)

And the third best thing about today's race?

-happened long before my tape delayed broadcast...
after 14 years of being absent from open wheel racing,
Juan Pablo Montoya wins the Pocono Indycar 400! :roll:

I'm so easy to please. :ROFL:

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
"He didn't give me any room!" :roll:

The midfield officially extends it's warmest welcome to Sebastian.

I had my sad before the first lap ended.
If I don't see Massa on a platform this year
I'm not going to be happy. =(

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I was rooting for Hamilton, so I was happy. But I found Kimi's first lap wreck to be really scary. I read somewhere the impact was 47G. That's insane, and quite a tribute to the advances in safety engineering of the cars and the barriers. Though that barrier looked pretty low-tech to me...

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhhhhh!!!!!

*throws things*

:Headbang: :Headbang: :Headbang: :Headbang: :Headbang:

I'm not sure I care to watch anymore.

Last edited:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
You missed a good one if you did turn off, Kelly.

And I'm glad that no-one was punished for it. Looking back at the replays it was just a racing incident.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Caterham fans got some bad news this week,
and heaven knows 2014 has not been good to Sauber.

But does any team have a driver that has been punched out by another car in FOUR separate races????

It just sucks to be me.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
So Ricciardo hasn't ruled out his chances of taking the F1 title. Stranger things have happened - hey, Richmond might *fingers crossed* still make the finals (that'll only make sense to Aussie Rules fans). Keep showing us those pearly whites Daniel :D

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
So what do we think of the FIA restrictions on radio communications during the race that would give technical advice to the driver on how to gain track advantage?

F1 race director Charlie Whiting has sent a letter to all teams to say that messages from drivers asking for advice, or from teams informing their drivers about the best options to make gains on the track, would no longer be tolerated.

To me, it's outrageous. This is a team sport and if you strip the technical experts and strategists on the pit wall of their calculations, then what you've made of them, effectively, is a troupe of butlers and cheerleaders.

Grrrr. I hate this.