Century-old dispute gets a Supreme Court ruling

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, more Canada.

Supreme Court finds that the Federal Government did not uphold the agreement reached in the Manitoba Act, 1870, completely redistributing Metis land within 15 years of signing the contract. The Metis have struggled to maintain clout to put forth a lawsuit but by the time the Charter (of Human Rights and Freedoms) was signed into law in 1982, the Metis managed to put together their resources and take it to court. Thirty years later, they have a ruling.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/03/08/pol-metis-supreme-court-land-dispute.html]CBC Article

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
Fascinating.

It's nice to see the federal courts standing up for the little guys. Doesn't happen as often as it should, I feel.

I'm curious how they're going to handle the city of Winnipeg.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
As am I. I'm not too versed on the specifics in Winnipeg and what relations have been like in that city and what they are willing to do so, I too am curious.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, hearing people talk about this, there now seems to be a precedent setting clauses in this decision. Probably the most important one is that the Supreme Court has thrown away the "It happened such a long time ago" defense the government has been using. This could be an opportunity for bands like the Papaschase here in Edmonton who had their land sold to CP Rail by the decision of three men and three men alone.

Also hearing from the Metis leaders in Manitoba that they do not want land, just fair compensation.