Ukrainians protest gov't abandoning EU free trade agreement over Russian pressure

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Civil unrest in Ukraine is growing serious.

Last week Ukraine's president, Viktor Yanukovych in a surprise move that shocked many of his countrymen, not to mention Western Europe, abandoned long term preparations to sign an agreement long in the drafting that would open free trade between the EU and Ukraine.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25087162

The idea of Ukraine having free trade with the rest of Europe is popular in Ukraine, but not in Russia, where it is considered a threat to Russia's economy.

There is some background here.

President Yanukovych has said that he made the move in response to Russian pressure.

For the past week there have been massive protests in Kiev and other Ukrainian cities. The protests have attempted to be peaceful and civilized (some of them have stated that their philosophy is that Western Europe is about peace and civilization, as opposed to Russia which is about violence and corruption), but the Ukrainian police have used violence and weapons on the protesters.

Right now as I type protesters have stormed the Kiev city council building.

The building is surrounded by police, who have not moved in yet.

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
There was a large demonstration in Edmonton today. Edmonton has a large Western Ukrainian population, most from Volynia-Halych and Bessarabia. The eastern political bloc, based around such places as Dnepropetrovsk and Luhansk are very closely attached to Russia while the western political bloc is closely attached to Poland. The easterner majority speaks Russian, the westerners majority speak Ukrainian.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
The Ukrainian government has banned rallies. In defiance of that, yesterday (Sunday) hundreds of thousands of demonstrators marched in Kiev.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25180502

Protesters are occupying several government buildings and have set up barricades there and elsewhere around the city.

Some protesters stormed the city hall. One of them is the Russian opposition activist Pyotr Verzilov - husband of Pussy Riot punk group member Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, who is in jail in Russia.

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
There was a large demonstration in Edmonton today. Edmonton has a large Western Ukrainian population, most from Volynia-Halych and Bessarabia. The eastern political bloc, based around such places as Dnepropetrovsk and Luhansk are very closely attached to Russia while the western political bloc is closely attached to Poland. The easterner majority speaks Russian, the westerners majority speak Ukrainian.

Story here:
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Hundreds+rally+support+Ukraine+protesters/9234074/story.html

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
There are massive protests going on in Kiev.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25290959

It's the third Sunday in a row hundreds of thousands of people have filled Kiev's streets.

They are blockading government buildings. Some protestors pulled down a giant polished labradorite statue of Lenin and smashed it with hammers.

Last edited:

Rain Gnome

Two Thumbs Up
Registered
Reaction score
I think that joining the EU is ultimately a terrible decision, and they'd just be turning from one tyrant-like government to another. Yet if the majority of the people truly do want to join the EU, then maybe the will of the people should be recognized, even if it ends up destroying the country in the long run. To me that's the drawback of freedom, you're free to destroy yourself. :e2shrug:

Bush_moon

Banned
Reaction score
The joining of Croatia (or whatever that window dressing "vote" was- the one where a small fraction only voted) is certainly showing it already! The EU also wants to keep expanding it seems, which is good for the EU money making but bad, or lets say "not what the locals" expected when it hits them in the pocket! I can understand however not wanting to be under an "old boot" like we are reading now. Russia is doing all it can as well to keep from loosing buffer zone countries and former allies, the expansion of thr EU (and NATO) and all that. Next stop the far north under the place where santa must niw have a floating workshop! European history is not finnished yet. The funny thing is the EU chants that its purpose is maintaining peace, i wonder how? The conditions are certainly being set to allow the fertile ground for the right wing when they dig this deep into the common mans pockets and a self appointed elite rules, and, Russia is nowhere near "broke" now this past 10 years, they did quite well! We will see interesting things to come i imagine!

BM

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
The riot police have backed down after US Secretary of State John Kerry issued a strongly worded statement.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25328311

Protesters, including priests and entertainment figures, have been praying and calling for solidarity. People are still streaming into the protest sites.

Last night US Secretary of State John Kerry said:

"The United States expresses its disgust with the decision of Ukrainian authorities to meet the peaceful protest in Kiev's Maidan Square with riot police, bulldozers, and batons, rather than with respect for democratic rights and human dignity," he said.

"This response is neither acceptable nor does it befit a democracy."

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think all of the credit should go to John Kerry......

Police withdrew from city hall following an abortive attempt to oust occupying protesters, said the BBC's David Stern at the scene.

Protesters used hoses to fire icy water at the police, said reports, and events were carried live on local television.

Police then pulled back from the main camp in Independence Square, which they moved on in the early hours of Wednesday.

"I want everyone to calm down," said Interior Minister Vitali Zakharchenko in a statement.

"There will be no storming of the square. No one will violate your rights to protest peacefully, but do not ignore the rights... of other citizens."

Overnight, riot police and interior ministry officers had dismantled some barriers and tents, with police saying they were trying to free up a passage through the square for traffic.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Miranda, I was about to post a similar comment. I don't think it had much to do with Kerry at all, but with the utter determination of that roused populace. But I was unable to find the article I read first thing this morning (before coffee -- B.C. :D ) that described the barricades being rebuilt after police withdrew.

I am oddly overjoyed at this development. Say no to the bootheels! :D

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
From a different viewpoint:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europ...ainian-protest-camp-20131210232919491464.html

Ukrainian police and protesters have clashed again outside Kiev's city hall after security forces attempted to re-take the building occupied by hundreds of protesters.

Police on Wednesday used truncheons while protesters responded with sticks and demonstrators inside the building sprayed the police with extremely cold water from a fire hose, forcing security forces to retreat to police buses in the sub-zero temperatures.

Police ended up moving away from the building, having failed to wrest it from the hundreds of protesters inside.

Meanwhile the interior minister said Independence Square, where protesters remained through the night, will not be stormed again and urged for calm.

In an escalation of the protests that have been going on for weeks, security forces in the Ukraine did storm a protest on Tuesday night and in to Wednesday morning, ripping down barricades and tents in the capital Kiev.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I apologize for the post that made it sound like it was Kerry's doing. I was posting rather hastily. There clearly was a lot of activity on the ground and a lot of work by a lot of people.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think that joining the EU is ultimately a terrible decision, and they'd just be turning from one tyrant-like government to another. Yet if the majority of the people truly do want to join the EU, then maybe the will of the people should be recognized, even if it ends up destroying the country in the long run. To me that's the drawback of freedom, you're free to destroy yourself. :e2shrug:

The joining of Croatia (or whatever that window dressing "vote" was- the one where a small fraction only voted) is certainly showing it already! The EU also wants to keep expanding it seems, which is good for the EU money making but bad, or lets say "not what the locals" expected when it hits them in the pocket! I can understand however not wanting to be under an "old boot" like we are reading now. Russia is doing all it can as well to keep from loosing buffer zone countries and former allies, the expansion of thr EU (and NATO) and all that. Next stop the far north under the place where santa must niw have a floating workshop! European history is not finnished yet. The funny thing is the EU chants that its purpose is maintaining peace, i wonder how? The conditions are certainly being set to allow the fertile ground for the right wing when they dig this deep into the common mans pockets and a self appointed elite rules, and, Russia is nowhere near "broke" now this past 10 years, they did quite well! We will see interesting things to come i imagine!

BM

These folks are fighting for their economic and political freedom.

I agree, they are fighting for their liberation (to use a term I find more palatable.) But I also agree that the EU is not the liberation they seek. In other words, there is a lot of ground yet to be covered, to really get to anything recognizable as genuine economic and political freedom, and the EU is far from the end goal that will offer that. It is only a step, a refusal to be drawn backward perhaps.

I suspect many if not most of the protesters know that. But being dragged into the loving arms of Mother Russia against your collective will requires a strong response, so we're seeing one.

Last edited:

Bush_moon

Banned
Reaction score
Well right now its peacefull. However it could get dangerous if the people feel they're having the same thing as the cold war era forced on them, and, the only thing they need to think that is to see thier government dig in and say sorry folks we choose Russia as our pal!

The heads of state in many of these countries have only changed hats but still wear the same underwear, so to speak! Many of the bosses are the same ones or related to the ones who were in power pre 1990, only now its popular to go to church on sunday! They need only be monetarilly paid off and they will be anyones friends, or threatened in some way that they will not be able to keep or maintain the life of luxury they have stolen right after communisim "fell" (sort of).....

Russia needs only to make economic threats, turn off the gas, tax higher, etc, THIS is what convinces these puppets to dig thier heels in and resist the will of the people. The government is there for the people, not the other way around! But then theres that little thing called aggressive unrestricted capitalisim....on the backs of the people at all costs!

Those countries have it hard too, theres no such thing as a paycheck over 1000 bucks a month or retirement like people in the west enjoy and in those parts if there is an external enemy or a perceived external enemy (russia) the people will resist as they will see it as externally related, otherwise they will be passive. Its clear they do not want anything of the sort of a return to communisim or quasi communisim.

Thats what we are seeing, on small scales, i think. It seems they still after all these years since 1980-90 have not able to determine thier future so it seems to the news and what the people in Ukraine are saying. Russia is coming back and building up again, nuclear practice flights, bases up north being repopened, military rebuilt, the yanks have moved into africa militarily, its rolling! Russia has money too now! Those people in Ukraine, the old ones more then anyone under 40 years old i bet can see the writing on the wall! What will be interesting is how the EU and Russia react as well and how its kept civil, i hope!

BM

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ok.

One of the rules of P+CE is that you provide evidence to back up your claims. If there isn't any, then you qualify it with 'IMO' or 'in my opinion'. Just so we all know where we are.

Obviously, the lack of any paragraphs indicates a rant. Which is fine. But I just thought you ought to know, as a newbie, how P+CE works.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Bush_moon, could you please add some paragraph breaks so your posts are more readable? They sorta give me a headache. That's not an exagerration or sarcastic comment, by the way, just a request.

Bush_moon

Banned
Reaction score
Roger that! Typing on this bloody iphone has got me on the paragraphs:)Well, regards to backing it up, when you have lived in an ex communist country before all of this becomes quite clear "how things work" and how the average westerner views them, the two are complete opposites unless you live them and see it for yourself! What i knew before, or thought i knew, was a real awakening! Then again some of us like me have been part of history as well and not just read about it!

My perspective from what i have experienced starting with Bosnia in the 90s until now has made a lot of things, and patterns, crystal clear! It helps to also speak with the common man who lived through communism and the period up until now. This stuff wont be written in books for the average westerner to understand at the root level. What is going on now is Russia is starting to reassert itself, worldwide, China is on board in the same way, this is what this is all about. Former Russian states, or people in govt seem to be choosing sides now.

Russia has begun to reorganize into the old systems under Putin, they're now rebuilding their military. They have started accepting worldwide recruits and are refurbishing all the old bases from the cold war up north. Flights have resumed that flew to North American airspace as they did during the cold war. They're asserting themselves along with China in Africa economically, and theres no doubt tensions will arise eventually there somehow! They are growling at the expansion of NATO. Its all related, only many in the west are under the impression Russia is something that disappeared in 1989-90.

BM

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Some corroborating links would be helpful, news stories, history, or archives (preferably not Wikipedia).

That way we can read and gauge the sources and get a better sense of what you're saying.

You've said a lot of things. Some background links (explained and introduced, not just a list) would be very helpful.

(PS, since you're new: I'm not a P&CE mod and have no particular authority or power here. This is just suggestions.)