ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
April 20 marks the centenary of one of the landmark events in labor history, the bloody conflict between coal miners in southern Colorado and the enormous conglomerate that controlled the industry in the region. It came to be known as the Ludlow Massacre.

"The face-off raged for 14 hours, during which the miners' tent colony was pelted with machine gun fire and ultimately torched by the state militia. A number of people were killed, among them two women and 11 children who suffocated in a pit they had dug under their tent."

My grandfather was a labor organizer in the West during the 1910s and 1920s. He told me about it when I was a child. He never forgot. As we enter our new Gilded Age, we shouldn't, either.

Last edited:

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
I forgot to add that the site is well worth a visit. It's just off I-25 about 15 miles north of Trinidad, CO, which is just north of the CO/NM state line on Raton Pass. You can drive back into the hills from Ludlow and see miles and miles of old mine sites back in the canyons. Further information here.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I had no idea.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
The first few decades of the 20th century generated some of the most bitter struggles in the U.S. labor movement -- Ludlow, the Seattle general strike in 1919, the 1922 Herrin Massacre in southern Illinois, etc.

Little known fact: The Ludlow Massacre was the topic of Senator George McGovern's doctoral dissertation. A more polished draft of the dissertation, titled The Great Coalfield War, was published during McGovern's 1972 presidential campaign. It's actually still in print after all these years, although I still haven't got around to reading it.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
The first few decades of the 20th century generated some of the most bitter struggles in the U.S. labor movement -- Ludlow, the Seattle general strike in 1919, the 1922 Herrin Massacre in southern Illinois, etc.

Little known fact: The Ludlow Massacre was the topic of Senator George McGovern's doctoral dissertation. A more polished draft of the dissertation, titled The Great Coalfield War, was published during McGovern's 1972 presidential campaign. It's actually still in print after all these years, although I still haven't got around to reading it.

To expand the scope, it was big in Canada too. There is a reason many unions are called the International Brotherhoods.

Sealer's Blizzard (1914 - Newfoundland), Winnipeg General Strike (1919), Regina Riot (1935.)