The next big thing in MG

thelittleprince

Registered
Reaction score
So there is a thread like this in the YA section, and whilst I know 'trends' seem to be bigger in the YA market than the MG one I thought this might be interesting to discuss here.

I've been looking at some tweets etc from the recent Bologna Book Fair, and it seems that realistic MG is popular at the moment. Take from that what you will!

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Even if there were, I won't be editing something to ride a trend. I'm just about over my head when it comes to trends in YA. I'd like to write an Upper MG Steampunk weighed on the same level as any other new writer writing for another genre.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
I like talking trends without even considering writing to them. Understanding the market is always a good thing.

That being said... I have no idea what's trending in MG. I think they're still looking for the next Harry Potter/ Percy Jackson.:Shrug:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I actually kinda hate the "Then next big thing" thread in YA. The truth is that the last "big thing" we really had was dystopia, and that was ages ago. So it's a thread of people guessing and getting swayed. YA is a category obsessed with the next trend, with agents looking for something in a genre that may not ever take off the way they want but expecting it to. I would hate to see MG go that way because I don't get the sense that MG agents are looking for MG that same way. But maybe I'm wrong. I've only ever queried two MGs.

erikafabulous

Registered
Reaction score
Ha ha ha, I found the next big thing in YA thread fascinating until I realized that the section I was reading was a few years old. I guess that just goes to show how with the times I am.
I do agree that it's worth speculating even if none of us plan on doing anything about it. If nothing else, it's kind of fun.
Since middle grade is such a big category, it is difficult to speculate though. It does seem like a market that often has big winners and imitators. When I was a kid it was all about the Babysitters Club and a bunch of other series that involved girls that were friends for some reason or another. Now there does seem to be a lot of mini potters. So I think that the next big trend will be a lot like the next series that makes it big. I think small children are ready for some good science fiction. They are getting so much better educated at younger and younger ages and STEM is getting so much emphasis in schools, I can picture small children eagerly reading lots of stories involving futuristic space adventures.

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm happy that MG doesn't seem as trend-based as YA. Contemporary and fantasy always seem strong, but other genres (like science fiction) seem to do okay. If it stays this way, I'll be happy.

The articles I've read about the Bologna Fair mostly talk about trends in YA (contemporary) and strong interest in MG, but not necessarily one specific MG genre. At least that's how I understood things. That sounds good for us MG writers.

LucienDesar

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.desar.com
According to the Publisher Weekly at the Bologna 2014 convention last week "Realism Reigns". Realistic YA over all things paranormal and dystopian. Middle Grade fiction, in particular editors, have a keen interest in it. With this in mind, perhaps what works for YA works for MG and realistic stories are prefered in the marketplace.

Honestly, I have talked to agents that said not to chase a trend because everyone does it and then you are in a pool with the same trend followers.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I just write the stories I want to write (regardless of age category). Writing something just to chase a trend wouldn't work for me. I'd feel no passion for the story. Besides, I'd rather set the trend.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Knowing trends isn't the same thing as chasing them.

I'm very curious to find out of witches are going to be a new trend in YA with the huge hype behind Half Bad. But have no desire, not even a fleeting inkling, to write YA with witches.

I like to understand the market and part of that is knowing what publishers are buying and what they're hoping for. I don't think its wrong to watch for trends so long as you're not chasing them and know the risks of you do chase them (the risks aren't worth the rewards IMO)

I'm totally cool with MG being generally trend free. So YAY MG!
But there's no harm is asking.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
With Rowling releasing a new trilogy for the Harry Potter 'verse, it's entirely possible that magical things will see a resurgence in both MG and YA, but it's far too soon to tell.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
aGY3DKZ_700b.jpg

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I heard they were making three movies based on Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them (which I haven't read but doesn't seem able to hold 3 movies) http://www.newsday.com/entertainmen...-to-find-them-will-be-movie-trilogy-1.7570335

I think they're very loosely based. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them isn't a story. It's an informational book with some funny comments added in by Harry and Ron.

I think the trilogy is going to follow the author of the book, Newt Scamander.

thelittleprince

Registered
Reaction score
I certainly don't write to trends (it's pretty silly to do that, really) but I am interested in where the market goes. And how certain books that are really successful can create a trend of sorts. I've been wondering if that will happen with the success of WONDER...

jlstov

Registered
Reaction score
I just write what I'd like to read. I can't worry about other things outside of that. It's far too confusing. Unlike indie movies (where I came from) an imagination doesn't have a budget, so why limit the world you can build. Unless that's what you are into. :)

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Writing to a trend feel like running behind a speeding car to me. The effort outweighs the chance to catch up with the waves.

jlstov

Registered
Reaction score
@jlstov, Exactly! I came out of the film business too, and I can finally write how I imagine it. No more budgets to worry about, besides printing paper :) It's truly a different world though, and I'm still getting used to it.

Great Freedom right! Almost too much freedom! LOL

jlstov

Registered
Reaction score
I think writing to a trend could work - BUT you'd have to fully re-imagine and think through the whole thing. You'd have to be the HUNGER GAMES of dystopia or the HARRY POTTER of witchcraft or TWILIGHT of paranormal. If you can't be the best then leave it alone. LOL But I think it's always better to be the mark others that are trying to reach in a new or forgotten trend. Remember nothing is "new" it's just has been forgotten for a while. In 15 to 20 years you can write in it again. LOL

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
See, the thing is... those books you mentioned did NOT write to trends. They were going against the grain at the time they were published (at least HP and TW. Not sure about Hunger Games)
. Writing to a trend would be to write a book like those books just because thats what's selling. Trend books are the ones published *after* the huge hit. All of those huge books were gambles. Those books are the trend setters. Want to be a trend setter? Go for it, but its not so easy. Its not very often that a book after the trend setter did as well. They tend to *well* but never as big.

That's one reason why writing to trend is bad. Your chances of getting a big deal (if you get there in time) is high, but your chances of actually standing out in the crowd of all the same, not as good.

Last edited: