The next big thing in MG

jlstov

Registered
Reaction score
I agree Tromboli, that's why I was saying if it can't be THAT BIG then leave it alone. My betas have had a hard time placing my manuscript. I get it reminds me of: Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, Ender's Game, Hunger Games, etc (Pretty much almost every newer book in Fantasy and Sci-Fi). LOL But most of the time they can't place it, and most agree it's different enough to stand alone.

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I have talked to agents that said not to chase a trend because everyone does it and then you are in a pool with the same trend followers.

This reminds me of my grandfather. He was a farmer. He'd plant corn one year and get a good price say it was 5 dollars a bushel. Other farmers would say, 'Hey, look at how well corn did last season! Let's plant some.' Suddenly there was an surplus of corn on the market and because there was an excessive amount, the price would drop to say 2 dollars a bushel--a three dollar difference compared to the previous season and the other farmers lost out. Whereas my grandfather would look at the market and say, 'Hm. Corn did well last season, I'm going to plant wheat." Because he diverted from the trend, he made more per bushel because while he was planting wheat everyone else was planting corn. The lack of wheat on the market upped its price. Supply and demand.

My grandfather always tried to plant the opposite of what was 'trending' and did far better financially. However, one year the price of wheat was so pathetic, he decided instead of selling it for 2 dollars a bushel he'd raise pigs and feed it to them. By time he sold the pigs, he figured that he actually made 6-7 dollars a bushel for the wheat just by feeding it the pigs and selling the pigs off to market later on.

Looking at what's trending in the YA or MG market is a good idea, but in my opinion, it's only good to see what should be done in opposition to the trend.

jlstov

Registered
Reaction score
Good knowledge Quentin,

I'll only add this: If you look at trends - glance at the "type" of novel more-so than the genre or sub-genre. I definitely checked the market, but more because I wanted to know how to sell it. "Adventure Book", "Upper Middle Grade", etc.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Your granfather is swinging right on the same vine.

In that case, ... epic Scifi like Dune. (Kidding)

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
(I'm assuming it's okay to bump an eight-month-old thread...)

I've noticed a lot of space-themed sci-fi out now. Close Encounters of the Nerd Kind, The Incredible Space Raiders from Space, The Black Stars. Is this because it's a trend now, or am I just noticing more because I'm interested in the subject?

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
(I'm assuming it's okay to bump an eight-month-old thread...)

I've noticed a lot of space-themed sci-fi out now. Close Encounters of the Nerd Kind, The Incredible Space Raiders from Space, The Black Stars. Is this because it's a trend now, or am I just noticing more because I'm interested in the subject?

Though I haven't noticed more books on the shelves, it wouldn't surprise me if this trends. Dreamworks has 'Home' coming out next year, based on 'The True Meaning of Smekday'. If that hits big, it'll encourage the sales of everything space and alien.