Independent Music Thread

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
This is a thread to share, discuss, discover, rate, ask, and listen to independent music.

Rules: If you are presenting an artist, please site directly to their bandcamp/soundcloud/website/official youtube.
We are trying to bring light on these performers.

Last edited:

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
K, staring off. My favorite band:

The Dear Hunter.

Experimental Rock.

Most of their music is a long cross between rock/symphony opera, folk and hardcore, country and blues, techno and ambient...
Casey Crescenzo is a masterful songwriter and producer. All the other members are great musicians.

Favorite samples:

What it Means to Be Alone

Never Forgive, Never Forget

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Would anyone like to share? Fine, I'll try updating this daily until it catches.

Kishi Bashi

Experimental Chamber Pop

This is a self-recorded, self-produced project by the touring violinist from of Montreal, K Ishibashi (see where the name comes from)
His music is just beautiful. Strings with a dull voice, light hearted melody with lyrics that make you shiver with enthusiasm.
Give him a good listen over, at first you won't like it, but after a while it really grows on you.

Samples are in the bandcamp I linked to.

ShapeSphere

Hello, Hooray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.antonypeyton.com
I can't post a lot, but I do like Ulrich Schnauss.

He's an electronic musician and producer from Kiel, Germany. Very ambient and techno.

Samples to relax to. You'll feel less stressed:

Knuddelmaus
Far Away Trains Passing By

--

Never heard of your recommendations before, but then I am old.

The Dear Hunter sound good - clever name. Never Forgive, Never Forget was way better than the first sample.

Kishi Bashi is very interesting! May listen to more.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
I don't know where to start. So many of them, especially since i found Bandcamp...

But that Kishi Bashi sure is something...

Okay, a handful of favorites from Bandcamp/Jamendo:

Diablo Swing Orchestra
A blend of medieval heavy metal, with opera voice and all, and big bandish jazz. From Sweden, I think. Makes me think of Danny Elfman's songs in the Corpse Bride, although it sounds quite different. The first album is sensational, the second, "Sing​-​Along Songs For the Damned and Delirious", sounds almost conventional by comparison, but that's okay, it's weird enough. A third album was released this year, but I haven't heard it yet.

Their first album at Jamendo - their second album at Bandcamp

Bobby Jealousy
Most 70s-style retro acts never get the amount of cheesiness quite right. These guys do.

"A Little Death" at Bandcamp

Charlene Kaye
I think she comes from musical theater or something, blending a somewhat theatrical feel with indie pop and, on her letest album, more straighforward pop, though she doesn't seem at home there. I still don't know if I like her voice, but I sure like what she does with it. A bit like Paula Cole, come to think of it.

Here's my favorite EP of hers

One Hundred Flowers

Somewhat orchestral brit pop, or something.

Here's their "Mechanical Bride"

So much for now.

Last edited:

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Holy Hell! I thought this thread died!

hahahdhdhahahdah!!

I've been in love, again, with:

Destroyer.

Indie rock... what else can you say?

The music itself is beautiful, but there's a haunting and raw hammer of the lyrics that just can't be falsified. Dan Bejar is just an amazing song writer, especially his lyrics and his vocal style is both mystical and fun.

Kaputt

Savage Night at the Opera

T. Trian

Banned
Reaction score
Here's a bit of shameless self-promotion for another indie band :D

Nowadays my band is called Niavka (I'm the guitarist/song writer) and we're just putting finishing touches on our latest EP which will hopefully be done before Christmas. We're also getting a new website but that too will go up a bit later.

We mostly play a mix of rock, funk, metal, punk, and renaissance music.

Anyway, here's a couple of songs from older live gigs (haven't got my hands on videos from the latest gigs yet). I hope nobody gets traumatized as there's some profanity (my fault 'cause I wrote the lyrics) and general debauchery onstage.

Disquiet Animus - Freelancer, live at Escape 27.02.2010

Disquiet Animus - Killing Her, live at Hard Rock House 17.04.2010

Spectral Aggressor

Supremacy Through Intransigence
Registered
Reaction score
The Smouldering Ruins of Toronto, Ontario.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7jIo0HIfHw

Melodic death/black metal of the sort that ends up actually living up to the sub-genre name without sounding like another crappy failed Iron Maiden/Metallica wannabe that merely had harsh vocals. Surprisingly accessible but they avoid falling into poppy songwriting and write their songs in a more linear, narrative fashion that eschews verse-chorus-bridge structures in favour of something more holistic and organic.

http://zealotry.bandcamp.com/

Unusual progressive/technical death metal band that manages to fuse a lot of bizarre chord shapes and dissonances with equally strong melodic sensibilities in structures that slowly fall apart to reveal a greater design. Deserves an award for having drum programming that sounds more organic than most "technical" metal drummers nowadays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRSesSiu360

Strongly Demilich inspired death metal that improves on the pre-existing model with a stronger sense of melodic direction, improved drumming, and the fetid murkiness of doomier usually-US-or-heavily-inspired-by-US death metal bands. Currently one of the most promising up and coming death metal acts alongside Venenum, Thevetat, and Cruciamentum. Shares a guitarist with Zealotry.

Last edited:

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
It's lonely in here...

Pitchfork put out their top 50 of the year.

Here's the short:

10. Grizzly Bear: Shields.
9. Deaths Grips: Money Store.
8. Chromatics: Kill for Love.
7. Beach House: Bloom.
6. Grimes: Visions.
5. Swans: The Seer.
4. Tame Impala: Lonerism.
3. Fiona Apple: The Idler Wheel... .
2. Frank Ocean: Channel Orange.
1. Kendrick Lamar: good kid, m.A.A.d city

What do you guys think? I really can't agree with the top half (1-5). I just didn't find them very appealing.
I did love Bloom, Kill for Love, and Money Store.

Some that were in the top 50, but I think should have light are:

Cloud Nothing: Attack on Memory.
The Men: Open your Heart.
Godspeed You! Black Emperor: Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!

All my other top albums of the year aren't on Pitchfork's list... or were never reviewed by them...

Thoughts? Opinions? Ranting about P4K?