• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Beta Reader for Supernatural Novella

Status
Not open for further replies.

LADavis

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm seeking one or two beta readers to look at a novella that I've been working on. This is a book based on Supernaturals that touches on Mythology as well as many varied topics. There is some slight erotic content, but it is there for the sake of explaining a character's inner workings or to convey a relationship.

I want to find someone who is willing to give the most honest critique. I need to know if there are any holes in the plot, things that seem unclear, confusing or otherwise don't belong and also if there's anything that may need perfecting. I would also like to hear the good points as well. Things that make the story stand on it's own. I have let those closest to me see it, but I'm afraid their judgements might be biased. I need fresh eyes from those who are not only people I do not know personally, but see it for what a reader would see it.

As far as credentials, I would like to have someone who has been a beta reader for at least a year and has a good standing within this community. Ultimately, someone I can trust to give honesty in this.

Sincerely,
L.A. Davis

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, there. I understand enthusiasm and wanting to get your own work into the best shape one can, and I get not knowing how this community works when you just arrived, but I urge you to slow down.

I'm sure you're a perfectly nice person and a good writer and all, but I don't know you. A beta read takes many hours at a minimum, more time that many of us are willing to give to someone who's a stranger. Way too many times, people arrive here, get their beta reads, and disappear, never doing any betaing for others or interacting as a part of our writing community.

I urge you to offer your time and skills as a beta reader for others and to critique works at the Share Your Work board of any genre you read. People who meet your criteria (which I find kind of insulting to those who don't meet it, since every beta reader starts somewhere) will be far more likely to do you this large favor if they've seen you do large favors for others.

Maryn, hoping you'll stick around and become a part of the community

heza

Registered
Reaction score
As far as credentials, I would like to have someone who has been a beta reader for at least a year and has a good standing within this community. Ultimately, someone I can trust to give honesty in this.

For what it's worth, I generally see brand new people more often getting beta exchanges from other brand new people. The members who've been here a while tend to want to see new members interact around the board before they commit to a beta read. Mostly because we want to see that a new member is also giving (critiquing in Share Your Work and offering to beta read) but also because we want to know the member is level-headed and will probably be able to take a critique without hurt feelings.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

To be honest, what you look for in a beta reader -- someone who has been working at it for a year or more, someone who has good standing in the community, someone I can trust to be honest -- is exactly what I look for in an author I volunteer to beta read for. So, as Maryn said, if you stick around and participate and demonstrate your willingness to give as well as take, you're a lot more likely to entice experienced beta readers to volunteer to read your book! Plus, once you've got 50 posts under your belt, you can put your opening scene up in Share Your Work, so that potential readers can see how well you write and how compelling your story is -- and we won't be able to resist saying "please, can I read the whole thing?" :D

LADavis

Registered
Reaction score
My Apologize

I apologise for not replying quicker to all of you. I have been without internet for almost a week. I also apologize for being a bit overzealous in asking for a beta reader outright. I am new and do not understand all the fine mechanics of this forum. Thank you for giving me the advice that you have. Now that I am back in the world I'm more than ready to aid others in their works as well. I'm anxious to meet everyone here and get to know them better.

Maryn, you're very right and very to the point. I enjoy people who do not beat around the bush and give it straight. I am a person like that myself so I appreciate that very much.

Heza, thank you very much for giving a bit more description to the kind of people that are needed in this forum.

Unimportant, you're very right. I would love to help others and then be able to put an opening scene in. To have someone read it and be compelled by it would be incredible! More importantly, I would love to see what up and coming or even veteran writers are working on. It would allow me to see modern writing.

Thank you all and I hope to be a valuable asset to this community!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent! That's exactly what we hope for, our new members to become involved in the give and take that makes us all better writers as well as part of a greater community.

Man, I'd go nuts losing internet for a week. Tell us, are you still sane?

Maryn, whose friends are mostly online

LADavis

Registered
Reaction score
Insanity is not the appropriate word for it. I would like to think of it as the point between insanity and the moment of the final act in which to prevent the insanity from getting worse. That's about where I was without internet for a week. :)

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ack, you poor thing!

Would it help to get feedback on the first 1000 words or so? If so, feel free to PM it to me (or PM me for my email addy) and I'll have a crack at it, though I can't commit to a longer piece at this time.

LADavis

Registered
Reaction score
Well, if it's something you feel ok with I could simply send you the prologue. It isn't terribly long. I'll keep to my goal though of helping the community and learning what I can before offering anymore or asking in the beta reader forum again. I do appreciate you lending a hand. I can send it through a PM if you prefer. Remember, do not feel obligated to be nice or not offer harsh but constructive criticism. I was raised in a city, our skin is pretty thick ;)

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if it's something you feel ok with I could simply send you the prologue. It isn't terribly long. I'll keep to my goal though of helping the community and learning what I can before offering anymore or asking in the beta reader forum again. I do appreciate you lending a hand. I can send it through a PM if you prefer. Remember, do not feel obligated to be nice or not offer harsh but constructive criticism. I was raised in a city, our skin is pretty thick ;)
Sure, PM me the prologue and I'll have a go. You've shown a terrific attitude, and you're the kind of new member we want to keep! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.