• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

No more betas needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I am looking for some beta reader for my new YA fantasy novel, IF I SHOULD RULE. The book is complete at 78,000 words and I've already revised it multiple times, which means it's time to give other people a chance to tear it up.

I am open to doing swaps. I normally give overview critiques rather than line-by-lines, and I prefer to receive the same, although I am fine with whatever you want to offer. I am full on swaps for the time being, but still accepting beta readers who don't require anything in return.

Here is some information about the story:

When seventeen-year-old Niall Loudain’s father, the king, invites outsiders to compete for the crown of Saol, Niall’s pissed. His father’s had years to judge him and his brothers, yet thinks he can find a new ruler in a week. If Niall wants to gain his rightful place on the throne, he needs to eliminate his father’s other options.

He kills the first of the other nine candidates with a sword to the skull. Before Niall can stab another cunt, someone beats him to it - by murdering his father. Niall cares less about his hateful father than a bucket of dung, but the murder sparks a shitstorm. Dead people start coming back to life as wraiths and subjecting Saol’s citizens to waking nightmares that often turn fatal.

Though the thought leaves his mouth with a taste worse than rancid ale, Niall joins the other candidates in their attempts to solve the mysteries of his father’s death and the wraith’s arrival. Through this process, Niall discovers his father had power over the dead, a power passed to whomever slays the previous owner. If Niall can find the murderer and kill them, he can attain complete control over the army of wraiths, guaranteeing his ability to steal the throne from his weak-minded eldest brother. If he fails, the wraiths will continue running rampant, and their next victim might be him.

IF I SHOULD RULE is a 78,000-word young adult fantasy novel loosely based on the legend of Pandora’s Box. It is told from multiple points of view and should appeal to fans of murder mysteries and the Game of Thrones series.

EDIT: Here is a brief description of the other POVs if that helps (you won't be stuck with Niall the whole time):

Daniel: A young monk from a monastery who wants to rule so he can spread the word of the God of Light. He has a very straight-forward voice.

Imogen: A girl who works in her family's bookshops and enters the competition to convince the other candidates to appoint her as bard. She has a very quirky/Luna Lovegood-esque voice.

Amerie: A young woman who wants to do what's best in the name of the kingdom, because she feels her life is valueless unless she pledges it toward helping others. She has a slightly sassy, but even-handed voice.

Last edited:

inkblots

Registered
Reaction score
I would be interested in simply beta reading it, as in nothing in return from you. Send me a PM if you are still interested!

Status
Not open for further replies.