• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking a beta reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's just one person's opinion, but I think getting a beta reader for a book already published, with readers who have purchased it in its present form, is a bad idea.

Consider it from the other side. What if you'd bought a book, then learned it was available in an improved version with changes the author made to it after publication? Would you not feel you'd been cheated, not getting the best version to be sold?

Instead, I hope you'll write something new and get beta input before you publish.

Maryn, who'd be steamed

AnneGlynn

If you don't try, you can't fail
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneglynn.com
I respect Maryn's opinions, mostly because she's almost always right. On the other hand, Tasha, if you worry that your story was published prematurely and would benefit from some additional work, why wouldn't you want to make some changes?

Future readers would receive an improved version of your story and previous buyers would be given the option to update their current download (at least, that's what Amazon offers. I don't know about the other vendors).

The suggestion to work on other stuff, too, is always an excellent idea.

Anne, who wouldn't be steamed at all

Status
Not open for further replies.