Gay character secretly has crush on straight character

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob_Wallace

Registered
Reaction score
I have a character who is a superhero. While in his secret identity, he is talking to his gay friend. The superhero doesn't know the gay friend is gay and the gay friend doesn't know that the guy is secretly a famous (in-universe) superhero, and neither does the audience btw. The superhero works with two other superheroes, one of whom is a woman.

The gay friend had a recent encounter with the superhero. What I want to happen is for them to have a conversation where the secret superhero asks his gay friend if he thought the super heroine that helps was hot in person (because he's a nerdy pig like that). Naturally, the gay friend doesn't find her hot. I was gonna have the gay friend comment instead that he finds the superhero he is unwittingly talking to be cute. The superhero is straight. How should he react without offending people? I was thinking of making the superhero so egocentric that they both fawn over him, but that makes the superhero look gay, since his secret identity is secret, which I don't want. I was also considering making his response be squick, but that makes him look homophobic especially since, again, his secret identity is still secret.

I want to drop subtle clues at the superhero's identity, not just drop it like an anvil until I'm ready. The work is also a lighthearted comedy, so having the reaction lead into a punch line of some kind would also be helpful.

Also would like suggestions as to how to make a character say they're gay besides coming out right and saying "I'm gay" or having another character being "whoa wait, you're gay?!"

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
I think your basic problem is that your premise requires him to have a reaction for the hint to his identity to work (if I understand you correctly). But the non-assholish way to react to being the object of attraction by someone you don't find attractive is to be quietly flattered and just move on as if nothing had happened. Any overt, 'funny' reaction he has is going to make him look like a tit, one way or another. I'd find another way to hint.

As for coming out, what's wrong with just saying 'I'm gay'?

MynaOphelia

lost her spaceship again
Registered
Reaction score
You could just have the superhero char be slightly surprised but flattered, but unsure how to respond. I think that would come off more naturally, and wouldn't make him seem homophobic. Being flustered when someone thinks you're cute is pretty natural, whether the person is your gender or not.

That said, if you want the gay character's identity to be obvious, there really is nothing wrong with him offhand mentioning he's gay or that he has a boyfriend or something.

Last edited:

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I'm not in the school of your MC must be PC going in (or as Maythe so charmingly says: not "look like a tit").

I think that if you can not have your MC react to a gay man crushing on him in much the same way as he might if a straight girl (he wasn't interested in) was crushing on him, then you simply have to address the issue. I have no problem with him feeling bugged out (or "squick" as you not-quite-so-charmingly say) about it as long as his reaction is shown by the story to be a wrong one...And if he learns a lesson along the way, isn't that character development?

I'm far more concerned with the stereotypical landmine you're entering with your portrayal of yet another gay man in love with his straight friend (even tho he doesn't "know" it's his friend, and he's not so much in love as lust or at least finding sexually attractive). I think that's the character who's actions/motivations/etc. you need to be fretting about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.