Dragon Age 3: Inquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I was incredibly charmed by Blackwall's flirting at first, but then he got all "NO WE CAN'T BE TOGETHER" which pissed me off, so it's off to Cullen now.

Smart move, save yourself the heartache.

No, really. Blackwall might be the first romance to pull out the old "You must end this because I will only end up hurting you" BS and actually have a reason for it and actually ends up breaking your heart.

Yes, I'm still sore from it. :(

Out of curiosity: what did those you far enough into the game do with Blackwall? White out probably required.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Blackwall:

I kept him alive. I had Leliana replace him with a look-alike criminal who was executed in his place and made him continue living the lie of Blackwall The Warden to keep the illusion that The Inquisition had Warden support.

He wasn't happy.

I'll make a different choice this time through, though I'm not sure exactly which one yet.

Last edited:

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's been a long time coming, but a BioWare game has finally traumatized me.

Four words: Here Lies the Abyss.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Out of curiosity: what did those you far enough into the game do with Blackwall? White out probably required.

I had Cullen bust him out of jail. The Inquisition had enough clout that it didn't really piss too many people off. When he was brought before me for sentencing, he wanted to die but I convinced him to live a noble life and do good as penance. He wasn't fond of that at first but warmed up to it later. He chose to keep the name Blackwall.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
BioWare confused me. I spent a good portion of the game thinking that "Corporal Vale" of the Hinterlands squad was Sebastian Vale. Not so, apparently. Or maybe, I'm still playing my first playthrough.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
I just started my 2nd playthrough, even though I'm not done with my 1st. :D Decided to play as a F!elf mage to: A) romance Solas, B) romance Cullen, and C) See what all this fuss about Knight-Enchanter is all about.

Now hopefully Bioware doesn't patch the game before I get it.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
That poor dragon!

...I feel kind of bad that I, the moderator and GOD of this sub-forum, have had so little to say, simply because I have not yet gotten through the re-play of DA:O that I started, let alone gotten to DA2!

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
That doesn't seem broken at all . . .

It's not. He was level 24, crafted some really great masterwork weapons, and figured out a specific power strategy for a specific character specialization. He posted it all on the BSN boards.

If I ever get around to doing a nightmare playthrough (I'm annoyed that you can't import a higher-level character from a previous playthrough), I'm going to give his suggestions a shot.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
I just started my 2nd playthrough, even though I'm not done with my 1st. :D Decided to play as a F!elf mage to: A) romance Solas, B) romance Cullen, and C) See what all this fuss about Knight-Enchanter is all about.

Damn, people... I'm only fifty hours in and I bought the game at launch.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
It's not. He was level 24, crafted some really great masterwork weapons, and figured out a specific power strategy for a specific character specialization. He posted it all on the BSN boards.

If I ever get around to doing a nightmare playthrough (I'm annoyed that you can't import a higher-level character from a previous playthrough), I'm going to give his suggestions a shot.
Aren't the dragons supposed to be, you know, a challenge?

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Most of them are. At least for me. Some aren't as hard as others, though. I had trouble with the one that breathes ice.

An advantage he had on the one in the video is that you catch it while it's asleep. He is also at one of the highest levels you can achieve in the game (the soft cap on the levels is said to be around 25 and he is at 24 in that clip).

He really had a great build that works perfectly for that particular dragon because that's normally the toughest one in that game. It was an aligning of the planets.

Usually it's really tough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsTfVRlRswo

Last edited:

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score

A and C are totally worth it. It's been a riot seeing all the heavy hints the writers drop about certain characters and wonder how in the hell you didn't figure it out earlier. Plus the extra content you get with Solas as a female elf is totally worth it - romanced or rivaled. It tickles me with all the narrative possibilities post-game.

They need to release a "wolf hunt" DLC yesterday.

I'm so in love with the Knight Enchanter. Magical light saber battle domination!

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
So, I've finished DA:I then. Of course, my attempt to play a non-Andrastian elf-archer was constantly being coerced toward 'faith' in the shemlin false prophet, and that annoyed me.

The thing that struck me was that the female characters were invariably the most interesting. The menfolk were mostly pretty bland and uninteresting, but the female characters more than made up for it: Sera, Morrigan, Leliana. Heh, and I didn't like Leliana in DA:O. I thought she was thin then.

The only interesting male character was Varric, but he's a dwarf. And a writer. Of course he had to be interesting. Solas, Cullen, that Gray Warden I can't remember the name of now because he was never in my party much... The Iron Bull... They were all, in my opinion, pretty cliché. Actually, I thought the Iron Bull's lieutenant would make a more interesting character, but he only sat in the inn and drank all the time.

The story was pretty meh … it was a rehash of Elder Scrolls Oblivion, in my opinion. But getting there was fine, and fun. I can only say that this time, apart from some flaws, BioWare did a good job.

Edit: Now, it's game on to see if CD Project Red manages to top DA:I, considering they're going for somewhat of the same thing with Witcher 3.

Last edited:

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
So, I've finished DA:I then. Of course, my attempt to play a non-Andrastian elf-archer was constantly being coerced toward 'faith' in the shemlin false prophet, and that annoyed me.
I think I must be the only person who played a non-human and still went with the "yeah I'm totally the Herald of Andraste" option. Valiant Adaar is 90% convinced she's a holy prophet.
The thing that struck me was that the female characters were invariably the most interesting. The menfolk were mostly pretty bland and uninteresting, but the female characters more than made up for it: Sera, Morrigan, Leliana. Heh, and I didn't like Leliana in DA:O. I thought she was thin then.
It was more 50/50 for me, but there are definitely some badasses women in DAI. Blackwall, Cullen, Varric, and Solas bored the pants off me. I would give my heart and soul to Cassandra, though.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I think I must be the only person who played a non-human and still went with the "yeah I'm totally the Herald of Andraste" option. Valiant Adaar is 90% convinced she's a holy prophet.

Well, it IS funny in a way.

Put a beard and a turban on Leliana, and you’d have Fox News schedule programs for weeks about computer game radicalisation of the young. Particularly if the turbaned bearded Spymaster got a broadly sympathetic platform, like Leliana does.

She’s a very interesting character, actually. Rivers of blood flow in her wake, yet she’s platidudinously ‘girlish’ like a 12-year old sometimes. I’m tempted now to replay DA:O to see if she was like this in that game.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Started my Nightmare mode play through a few days ago. The first time I played (on Normal), I chose to side with the Mages. This time, I sided with the Templars and have found it to be a much more interesting story. As well, the side quest with Leliana afterwards is good, too.

Also, I'm about to lose what little sanity I have because Nightmare is kicking my ass.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Started Nightmare mode as a Dwarf dagger rogue.

HATED IT. I respec'ed to archer and it's going much better, but I had to bench Iron Bull. As much as I enjoy his party banter, he just can't cut it in NM. Right now, I'm running with Blackwall, Vivienne and Dorian. Two mages = double the barrier. That's working out OK for me, but I haven't braved any dragons yet. I may not bother. I'm not a dedicated enough strategist to go into turn-by-turn combat management, so if I can't take it straight-up, I can't take it.

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking on the more technical side, we know Enchanter Knights are crazy tough (and actually, really fun) but on my travels I discovered something called Fade-touched Silverite. It's a masterwork material and gives something like +5% guard every time you hit an enemy. If anyone finds it, I recommend putting it into robes/armour, rather than a weapon.
I'd do the same with the dragonskin robes I'm planning, but I can't seem to find any more of this silverite. I got it in Emprise Du Lion, but repeated trips haven't yielded anything yet.
Just a heads up, if anyone finds it useful. Of course, assuming I'm not the last to know.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Started Nightmare mode as a Dwarf dagger rogue.

HATED IT. I respec'ed to archer and it's going much better, but I had to bench Iron Bull. As much as I enjoy his party banter, he just can't cut it in NM. Right now, I'm running with Blackwall, Vivienne and Dorian. Two mages = double the barrier. That's working out OK for me, but I haven't braved any dragons yet. I may not bother. I'm not a dedicated enough strategist to go into turn-by-turn combat management, so if I can't take it straight-up, I can't take it.

Bah! Bah, I say! ;)

I started a playthrough with a Knight-Enchanter Mage and stopped halfway through. Too boring for me. I went back to the DW Rogue for my Nightmare. It works best as Human or Elf. Dwarf is better for warrior or Rogue archer.

I know some people prefer other classes because they don't like melee, but if you do like melee and you hate the DW Rogue, you're speccing it wrong. It's the most powerful class in the game.

I'm doing a Human DW Rogue Assassin specialization (Tempest is decent, but not nearly as powerful DPS). I always use the dual-blade daggers so that I get the area attack function.

Crafted four masterwork Dual Blade Slicers (schematic is found in a tomb in the Hissing Wastes) with dragon bone (instead of metal), snofleur leather (those cute little walrus-looking things in Emprise du Lion...gives a ton of dexterity bonus) and dual blade handles that crank my critical damage up to around 180%. On two of them I have Superb Dragon-Slaying Runes and the other two I have Master Corrupting runes. I haven't started "What Pride Hath Wrought" yet. When it comes time to finish the last few levels, I'm going to switch the Superb Dragon Slaying runes out for Superb Demon-Slaying Runes for the final stage (so I can rip Corypheus to shreds).

For the Dragon-Slaying blades, it brings my DPS up to 478! It could've been higher if my masterwork Dragon Bone (40% chance) had actually worked. If the masterwork chance actually works, it brings the DPS to 500 with an area-of-attack damage of 152!

It's one of the deadliest weapons possible in the game. Only thing that comes close is the single blade tier 4 masterwork daggers (DPS might be slightly higher. I'm not sure) but with those you miss out on the area attack function (the attack animation is different).

Also maxed out my Mighty Attack potion (schematic is in a locked room in a cabin on The Storm Coast) upgrades and carry them with me all the time. I'm at lvl 19 and have sliced through 5 dragons like they're butter (on Nightmare). I'm gonna get up to lvl 22 or 23 before I take out the rest of them (the remaining dragons are lvls 19-23...the one on the Storm Coast keeps kicking my ass).

With those blades specced out that way and the Mighty Attack potion upgrades maxed out, once you're over level 21 or 22, you can do strikes on dragons that register 10,000+ damage! (depending on the power you're using).

There is no class in the game that deals more damage (in DPS and attack) than the DW Rogue Assassin.

Last edited:

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Speaking on the more technical side, we know Enchanter Knights are crazy tough (and actually, really fun) but on my travels I discovered something called Fade-touched Silverite. It's a masterwork material and gives something like +5% guard every time you hit an enemy. If anyone finds it, I recommend putting it into robes/armour, rather than a weapon.
I'd do the same with the dragonskin robes I'm planning, but I can't seem to find any more of this silverite. I got it in Emprise Du Lion, but repeated trips haven't yielded anything yet.
Just a heads up, if anyone finds it useful. Of course, assuming I'm not the last to know.

Most of the silverite is in Emprise du Lion. You can find that and bloodstone all over the place but especially around the frozen lake.

Another thing that I've done (a suggestion I saw on the Bioware message board) is respecced Blackwall as a two-handed tank with his guard and armor jacked way up. He's a freaking beast like that and pretty much nothing can take him down, especially with a mage casting barriers and me throwing Healing Mist grenades every now and then (so I don't waste Healing Potion).

Another cool grenade I found was the "Confusion Grenade" in the Winter Castle. It's in a hidden room below the floor on the second floor where you have to climb up the lattice to get to the library. There are six torches that must be lit in a particular order. Once done, the floor opens up to reveal a staircase that goes down to a loot room. The Confusion Grenade schematics are in there.

When you throw it at enemies, it causes them to attack each other. Sometimes, I'll throw a grenade into a large group of templars or darkspawn and wait until they've nearly killed each other before I move in to finish them off. Doesn't work on some enemies, though.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
She’s a very interesting character, actually. Rivers of blood flow in her wake, yet she’s platidudinously ‘girlish’ like a 12-year old sometimes. I’m tempted now to replay DA:O to see if she was like this in that game.

Just like in DA:O, the way you speak to Leliana can either "harden" her or make her more compassionate. My first playthrough I chose to let her kill at will. This time, I've told her not to. It's pretty interesting to see how differently she acts/talks this time around.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread - and the game. Thanks, guys.

I'm presently using the Elf Rogue and my party at the moment is Cassandra (I love her) and two mages.

Status
Not open for further replies.