Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
(Rambling post incoming - I need more sleep, or caffeine, or something)

Look, we've all been frustrated at the query process. I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread has had their share of rejections.

I sure have. Lots!

And looking back at those queries I can tell you there were two reasons for them being rejected without any further material requested

1 - The query wasn't good enough

2 - The query was good, but the book wasn't what this agent wanted at this time.

I have no idea which of those yours falls into, but I'm pretty sure it'll be one of them. Good news is you can fix it (fix the query, or target agents more specifically looking for your sort of book or write a new book that's more sell-able)

Now, I have pitched to agents at conferences. But I still, as said above, had to send a query. And when I did get an agent (by query) when we subbed my proposal...I had to write a query-like pitch to include. Part of the reason agents want a good query is that is shows you can write well - you can excite within a few sentences. You can be concise and clear about what your book is about. The query needs to entice them - and your pitch will need to entice the editor (some agents write the pitches themselves, some do not. But at any point in your career you may be asked for 'a quick 200 word summary of book x or proposal Y) and the agent needs to know you can do this.

Queries are hard. JCD has kicked my butt all over Query Letter Hell, more than once. And I deserved it (because it's really easy to think your query makes sense, when the only person it makes sense to is you <-- been there, got the t-shirt). But if he hadn't kick that butt I wouldn't have an agent, or a book deal. And you know what? Until I came here, I thought my queries were good....why wasn't anyone asking to sign me up? Lol.

But this is a skill that you need to learn, whether you get an agent this way or not. And yes it's frustrating, especially when you get no requests, and we know that. But we also know there are no shortcuts. That's all we're trying to tell you. James said he knew of some agents who get 20% of clients from conferences. I bet a great many more don't get anything like that. (And some, like the agent I pitched to who was closed to queries, might get more. Maybe your perfect agent never goes to conferences?).

You might be able to be the exception. But isn't it more likely that you won't be? (Because, like, most people aren't, that's why exceptions are exceptions) Maybe try all methods? But don't think that pitching in person will give you anything more than a leg up the queue. Because whatever you do, you have to put the work in. And from your post history it...seems that either you're coming off wrong (and as writers, well, we deal with words, no? They should mean what we intend them to mean?) or you want to jig around the work that will make you a better writer.

/end ramble.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
It was not for an insult to one's intelligence. I have a perfectly good idea of how publishing works. I'm very glad if it has worked well for you in the past.

The statement of 20% was taken from a previous post (look above). As far as making my work shine, I agree wholeheartedly... I have edited and reworked this one latest MS 4x over, so I do not leave those things to chance. The problem is getting a read and a commitment.

Had I wished to go into a "back door" I would definitely not post this thread, for if I found a "secret entrance" to mass publishing it wouldn't be much of a secret if I publicized it.

I would appreciate any further posts on this thread to do without the preconceived notion that I am some spoiled child who isn't willing to do the work necessary to be published again.

Frustration is just that, frustration.

Had I wished to insult your intelligence, I would've done so and would probably and deservedly now be in time-out-for-my-sins.

Here's the thing you need to consider. A number of us have responded to the way you present yourself in writing the same way: that you seem to think you're special -- an exception to the norm -- and that you repeatedly make comments that suggest that you don't know how publishing really works. As an example of the latter, this is at least the second thread in which I've read comments by you stating that agents don't read queries.

If these observations we're making are not actually reflective of the facts, then what does that mean? Could it be that you don't convey yourself and your thoughts in writing as well as you think you do, as well as you're trying to do? And if that's the case, might this be exactly the root of the problem you're experiencing with your queries?

Something to think about.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
This post puts me at 50...... that is all.

I'm sure we'll all look forward to helping you with your query in QLH. Do let us know when you've posted it.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Colossus, query letters and great hooks are so important, you will need this skill no matter your publishing history. Sure, Stephen King and George R. R. Martin can probably toss a mms at their agents and editors without a query. You're most likely not at King's or Martin's level yet, and queries serve many more functions than just bribing the gatekeepers.

I suck at queries, even when the mms is great. I'm lucky enough that my second project's query was lucid enough to gain me an eventual offer from one of the publishers I wanted. I used that offer to get some notice from one of the top agents on my wish-list. But she won't represent me fully until she sees project #1, which means not only a perfectly-revised mms, but a stunning query.

Not only that, but the e-pub working on project #2 has been using my query materials to help craft the book's blurbs and catalog listings.

So, yeah, I was monumentally frustrated by QLH both times I used it. Although the direct critiques weren't much help to me, I did learn from reading other query attempts and seeing how they morphed into effective marketing tools.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Stephen King and George R. R. Martin can probably toss a mms at their agents and editors without a query.

Well, even these guys use query letters. If you want advance money before you write the book, you get it with a query, no matter who you are.

Granted, if you're King or Martin, it doesn't have to be a good query letter.

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Dear (meaningless epithet)

I am Stephen King. I am about to send you a manuscript. Reject it at the peril of your immortal soul.

Best wishes,

S.K.

caw

I actually did recently read that the query for THE EVOLUTION OF BRUNO LITTLEMORE was basically, "Dear Agent, I am a graduate of the Iowa Writers' Workshop and have had work published here, and here. I am seeking representation for my humorous literary novel which is narrated by a chimpanzee."

Though, to me that query very much underscores the two things that have to be communicated in a query: that it's an idea that will sell, and that the writer will do it justice. When you have credentials, the credentials show you'll do it justice; when you don't, the query itself has to show your skill.