To send or not to send

Jack Armstrong

The All-American Boy
Registered
Reaction score
Got another question -

An agency just notified me that they are getting ready to read my full ms. I sent it to them some time ago, which is fine, but in the interim I've made a few changes that help round out the protagonist. It also ties some loose ends of the story together.

I'm dying to send them the revised ms, but my understanding is that agencies frown on being sent altered versions unless they have suggested edits. Obviously I don't want to do anything to irk them, but I also want to put my best work in front of them at this critical juncture.

Any advice would be golden!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Ask them.
Say something along the lines of 'I have revised the manuscript based on comments from another agent. Would you prefer to see this revised text?'

Determination

Is watching you
Registered
Reaction score
Send them the updated version. Just say you've made some revisions that have improved the book. I'm sure they would rather read the best version you have.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, but I wouldn't do anything. Give them a chance to read the ms. first. IF you keep sending them revisions, they will think you're not confident with your script. You shouldn't be wishy-washy in this business, they don't have time for that. As it is, they haven't even gotten to your work yet. IF they read and decline, then mention it and see where that goes.

Maxie16

Registered
Reaction score
Can you update us on what you do decide to do? I think you're in an interesting situation, and I wish you well even though I'm lost about which way to imagine going with it.

Pieohazard

Pirate Lord
Registered
Reaction score
Website
toxicwaste186.blogspot.com
I agree that you should send the revised ms. Wouldn't it make life much easier (and faster) if the agent read the better version immediately as opposed to reading the old one, rejecting it, and then having to read the new one?

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
It may be too late to weigh in, but I'd say leave it alone unless you've made major changes. They'll have their own suggestions for changes if they want to rep you (agents virtually always do), and you can discuss your own changes then.

Jack Armstrong

The All-American Boy
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the delay on providing an update - I went with waylander's suggestion because I was leaning that way and he responded so quickly to my question, which I greatly appreciated!

What I wrote was:

"Incidentally, I've made a few minor changes to the ms in the interim, based on some feedback I've received. I have it all packaged up in a PDF and I'll be glad to send it to you, if you'd prefer to have this updated version."

No response yet, but it's only been two days.

Last edited:

ThunderBoots

Back with new name, no dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck!

Wouldn't it be ironic if, after going back and forth on this issue, the agent wrote back to say: "Oh, I've already decided I want to represent you, but thanks for the .pdf, anyway. Let's talk contracts."

Jack Armstrong

The All-American Boy
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my - I just re-read my last comment - I made it sound like I only appreciated waylander's suggestion due to his timeliness, and that I didn't appreciate anyone else's.

For the record, I deeply appreciate everyone's suggestions!

Last edited:

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Jack, I just went through the same thing with a publisher. An agent had asked for a full long before the publisher (though I queried the publisher before the agent) and hadn't gotten back to me. When she did (after the publisher requested the full), she recommended some excellent changes and said she would reconsider representation if I made them.
When the acquisitions editor emailed to say the novel had made it through the initial reader stages and was on her desk, I offered her the revised one with the above explanation.
She was enthusiatic and appreciative.
It doesn't hurt to offer if the changes are minor and based on recent unexpected feedback.
I think what annoys agents/editors is when writers send them manuscripts, reread and revise them (work they should have done prior to querying) and then ask to send the newer versions.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
PS. I intend to talk with that agent again should the publisher offer a contract. Her advice was insightful, constructive and right-on.