Is a Synopsis Necessary?

RKLipman

Seasoned Veteran of Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ricklipman.com
Where did you get this? Agents vary wildly, so you might need to write more than one synopsis, as horrible as that sounds. I've seen some agents demand a page long synopsis, and some request a 4-6 page synopsis.

Zegota, I get where you're coming from, but in this case the 1k rule is actually pretty good advice. Some agents will request a 1-page synopsis, and some a 5 or 10-pager, but 9 times out of 10 they don't specify length.

In which case, 2 pages single-spaced is about the average, and about 1k words.

My synopsis was about 900 words. I was paranoid about it getting too long but was assured it was fine.

I do think 2k is pushing it for a standard, boilerplate synopsis, unless possibly you are the reincarnation of Robert Jordan.

Taylor

Registered
Reaction score
I got mine to around 900 words. Yes, I expect I'll have to write an assortment of different length synopses, because this industry seems to love making things difficult.

twright

Registered
Reaction score
I got mine to around 900 words. Yes, I expect I'll have to write an assortment of different length synopses, because this industry seems to love making things difficult.

I finally managed to get mine down to two pages, double-spaced, 673 words. Took a quite a few versions, and numerous shreddings by my critique group, but I'm surprisingly happy with it.

Taylor

Registered
Reaction score
I got my synopsis to 840 words. Do you guys think this is okay? I figure that's not too long, but wanted some of your opinions. Thanks!

dmickey

Registered
Reaction score
How long should a synopsis be, generally?

ThunderBoots

Back with new name, no dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Results may vary

Where did you get this? Agents vary wildly, so you might need to write more than one synopsis, as horrible as that sounds. I've seen some agents demand a page long synopsis, and some request a 4-6 page synopsis.

Ah, I was wondering if someone was going to get to this point before me!

I have a standard 4-paged synopsis written for general use -- I say "standard" only insofar as it's MY standard, not an industry standard, mind you. I use it when the submission guidelines call for a synopsis, and the length isn't specified (which it often isn't).

If an agent requests more material from me, and to incude a synopsis, I always ask what length would work for him/her. I have heard of agents asking for a page per certain number of words of mss; others who only want one page.

Give 'em what they want, I say, no matter how big a pain in the arse it is to have to write/polish multiple versions of a synopsis.

Laura_6

Love what you do. Love who you are.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lexacain.blogspot.com
Thanks, ThunderBoots. I've been worrying about synopsis length. I have a 2-POV novel and it's almost impossible to get the salient plot points and both character arcs in a 1- or 2-page synopsis. I have a 4-pager and an 8-pager. I guess it makes sense to tailor one for each agent -- where length is specified.

writer_laurie

Registered
Reaction score
If an agency requests one, I would send one. I have just started querying, and I have not yet written a synopsis, so I have only queried agencies that don't ask for one. But I know I'm going to have to do it sooner than later. It's probably a good idea.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Even if you query somebody who doesn't request one? Write a synopsis because sooner or later, somebody's going to ask for one. You'll have it on hand and can send it out just that much more quickly.