Getting an Agent after having Media Coverage

crazywritingmom

Complete NEWBIE
Registered
Reaction score
How do I use the current media coverage of our project to help my partner and I get published?

We've been featured on the Dr. Drew show and ABC news did an interview and article on their front page this morning.

Does anyone have any opinions about how media positively or negatively affects the query process or finding a publisher?

There has been so little documented about GSA, the authors on our blog are really pioneers in bringing awareness, and its only been in the last weeks that the "world" has started to pay attention.

Last edited:

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
It can definitely help -- potentially a lot. In order to be published in nonfiction, you have to have what's called "platform." That means you have a recognizable name in the field that will guarantee sales. If you have been on Dr. Drew and ABC News, you likely have a platform. Do you have a blog? Do you give seminars? What makes you an expert on the subject -- more to the point, how did THEY recognize you as an expert on the subject?

Now, just being an expert won't get you an agent. To get an agent, you need a proposal for a product they can sell. This is not a small thing to put together. It includes a query, an author bio, an analysis of the competition, a complete outline, and the first three chapters of the book.

If you have THAT and a platform, you have a good shot at landing an agent.

crazywritingmom

Complete NEWBIE
Registered
Reaction score
yes we do have a blog, a website, and an online forum. My partner Carly is an art therapist, I have a degree in psychology and we both went through this experience.

I am hoping my memoir could be one of the few books in circulation to talk about GSA.

My partner hopes to write a book (sort of like a self-help) concerning GSA.

Last edited:

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I think having that coverage will help, but again like Melissa said above - you need a good cover letter (or query letter/proposal etc) and platform. Good luck!! :)

rainsmom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Do a pretty darn exhaustive search before you declare your book is one of two on the topic. You want to be very honest about what's out there -- even on related topics. Then you want to explain how your book is different and why people will want to read it. The absolute worst thing that could happen would be for you to say, "My book is unique," and to have an agent or editor do a Web search and find out that isn't true. They'll think you unprepared (at best) and question everything else in your proposal.

There are books on putting together a non-fiction proposal. It's complex enough -- and important enough -- that I would get a book or two and really hone the proposal. It's not something you want to rush.

crazywritingmom

Complete NEWBIE
Registered
Reaction score
ok thanks for the advice.

My book is going to be a memoir...is that the same process as non-fiction? I'm not aiming to write a self-help book, but more my story.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
From what I understand about memoirs, they are sold more like novels than non-fiction, which means you need to write it first, then approach agents etc.

rainsmom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yep, what Toothpaste said.

Memoirs are probably THE hardest genre to break into. You have to have a compelling true story that reads like a novel AND provides a new insight into the topic you're writing about. You have to write the book first and query it like a novel -- but you'll still need to have done the same homework you would do with a nonfiction proposal. Platform is equally important.