If offer from dream agent comes in, what about other agents reading full?

KookyKat

Registered
Reaction score
So, if someone got an offer of rep from their top choice agent but had fulls out with other agents, including one who specifically asked to be kept informed of progress and be given the chance to read the full before accepting any offers of rep... what should be done?

The offering agent is top choice because of sales, stellar rep in genre, nice things other clients say about them and they're great to talk to on the phone. Ticks all the boxes.

But does professional etiquette dictate you still give those other agents reading fulls the chance to read it, esp. the agent who asked to be kept informed and who you agreed you'd give a chance to read if offered rep? Would it be deemed unprofessional to just email and say 'I'm taking an offer of rep, sorry'? (obviously worded in a better way!)

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
You might be super excited to sign with "dream agent" but that doesn't mean they will end up being the best choice. Just because Justin Timberlake jumps off the stage and purposes doesn't mean he will be the best husband. (Okay, I know that's cheesy and random.)

There is more to an agent than their name. Yes, their sales and clients are a BIG deal. But you need someone to root for you. Someone who fits your needs. Not all agents, even the awesome big name agents, will do that for you.

Besides it is common courtesy to give the other agents a chance.

My suggestion is to keep an open mind and let the other agents know about the offer. You can give them a short time period (I think between 1-3 weeks is average) to finish reading and make a decision. Some may decline right away. Others may also make an offer and you can make a decision then. Usually you get a chance to talk to an offering agent on the phone. That will give you a great chance to see what their working style will be like and if they are right for you.

Ps I don't know if this is hypothetical but either way, good luck!

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
But does professional etiquette dictate you still give those other agents reading fulls the chance to read it, esp. the agent who asked to be kept informed and who you agreed you'd give a chance to read if offered rep?
Would it be deemed unprofessional to just email and say 'I'm taking an offer of rep, sorry'? (obviously worded in a better way!)

Yes, and yes though the latter does happen.
You should take the opportunity to talk to all the agents who make offers (if there is more than one) as your 'ideal agent' may turn out to be less than ideal on closer inspection

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
If this isn't a hypothetical, congrats :D

I would give the other agents a chance to read. The truth is that authors often don't really know what a dream agent is until they've talked to them. It usually starts out with the big sellers or highly visible agents. But that's not always the right agent for that author.

You need to talk to the agents. Find out who you click with. Find out who has a vision similar to yours for your book and your career (talk about future and past books too!). Talk to clients to find out the good and bad experiences they've had with the agent. A big agent might ignore smaller clients. A small agent might have had trouble selling your genre. Clients can give you that behind-the-scenes info. Figure out what is most important to you in an agent, and choose the best one for you.

Matt Walker

Registered
Reaction score
As you're in the UK I feel able to offer my opinion! I have read that it's perfectly acceptable to contact the other agencies and say you've had an offer of representation and would need their decisions in, say, a week.

RKLipman

Seasoned Veteran of Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ricklipman.com
The only dream agent is the one who loves your work and can sell it to publishers.

Everything else is gravy.

That said, you should contact the other agents with the information that you have an offer and ask if they can give you a verdict within 7-10 days.

You're not obligated to do this (no one can make you), but you'll likely burn yourself with everyone else if you just yank your novel from consideration - especially when people have asked to be kept updated on your progress.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
To me this is the reason 'exclusives' are unnecessary and bad.

Definitely let the others know, at the very least its common courtesy, but it's also better for you. 1/it gives you info on what other agents think of your work and if they connect better with it, 2/ if agent no 1 doesnt work out, you have possible fall-back options. , and 3/ it lets agents know you're sought after. all to your benefit.

an agent worth having will expect you to do this, so dont worry about the offer being rescinded or anything like that.

(eta: all assuming you're firmly set on agent no 1. as i assume otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question)

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
But does professional etiquette dictate you still give those other agents reading fulls the chance to read it, esp. the agent who asked to be kept informed and who you agreed you'd give a chance to read if offered rep? Would it be deemed unprofessional to just email and say 'I'm taking an offer of rep, sorry'? (obviously worded in a better way!)

If you expressly agreed to give an agent the chance to read the book, I think it's only polite to do as you said.

KookyKat

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Just to clarify, I haven't had an actual offer of rep yet but my dream agent is halfway through and emailed to say she's 'very very excited about this one' but is going away before the London Book Fair so might not finish it as she has to quickly read a client's MS while away but will return to it. But she is hoping to finish it asap and to let her know of any news from other agents, even if she's away.

I also had 2 rejections on the full citing 'stilted dialogue' as a reason (I posted about this) so a little worried about that. Though one asked for a revise and resubmit. If those agents didn't like my MS, what about others?!

Anyway, thanks for all your advice anyway. I'll keep you all posted!

dmickey

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. It's not a bad idea to shop around, no matter how in love you feel you are with this agent. Plus you don't want to burn any bridges in case things don't work out with the dream agent.