Do agents want to know about self-published work that sells over "X" amount?

Mom

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When querying an agent, is it worth it to mention a self-published book if it sells over a certain threshold? What is that threshold? 10,000? More?

Should one mention a successful self-published book even if it has nothing to do with the book being queried? In my instance, the self-published work is a non-fiction book on a specific health issue. I am (soon to be) seeking representation for a MG humor and also an adult thriller. The self-published book was even written with a pen name.

Thank you in advance for sharing any insights!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
If you're a known author in NF, that can help your fiction career. One moderately successful NF title doesn't really help at all.

Most agents specifically ask for relevant writing experience.

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
Actually, I would list it if it sold more than, say, 3K-4K copies, even if it isn't relevant. It's a publishing credit. I wouldn't list it if it didn't sell well.

Mom

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! Seems like a wide range of opinions so far.

Right now, I'm leaning towards leaving it out unless the agent specifically asks for a brief bio. I'd love to hear more opinions, though.

And as a sidenote: Drachen Jager- your baby is so beautiful! I love those cheeks. Congratulations!

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Distracted by that baby in Drachen's siggie. She is beautiful. I love it when babies sleep like that, and their little arms barely reach the tops of their heads.

Mustafa

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to find the link, but I recently read an agents blog and it said, only mention it if it sold 10K copies in the first six months, otherwise, don't bother because 10K copies over years is not impressive. I'll keep scanning my history and link it when I find it.

ETA: I couldn't find the actual link that I referenced above, but I did find another agent who said something simmilar - only the number was 5K copies : http://www.mcbrideliterary.com/faq.htm: Just scroll down to the self pub question. Though I think this one is in reference to the agent being willing to represent the book and try to sell it to a larger press.

Last edited:

Mom

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to find the link, but I recently read an agents blog and it said, only mention it if it sold 10K copies in the first six months, otherwise, don't bother because 10K copies over years is not impressive. I'll keep scanning my history and link it when I find it.

I'm glad that you mentioned the time frame issue. Certainly a book that sells 10k within a few months is very different than a book that takes several years to reach that number.