What to expect at a "fest"

DennisB

Banned
Reaction score
I'm giving some serious thought to attending Thrillerfest in NYC this summer. Promos promise an "agentfest" with 50 agents ready to hear pitches.

So, how does one go about pitching an agent at a fest? Is it like speed dating? Do they sit at tables and wait for a writer to walk up and start talking? What printed materials do I need?

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
Different conferences have different practices. Some do speed dates, some do group dates. Sometimes it's 3 minutes, and sometimes 10. The Web site for the event will have more information closer to time, I would expect.

Regardless, in the pitches I've done, I needed a VERBAL pitch about 30-45 seconds long. Some people say to just pitch the log line, but I always did more than that. Hone it, and practice it. If you're not getting the WOW reaction from other people -- sincerely -- then it's not ready for the agent.

I compe prepared with the first three chapters of my novel. If they ask for it on the spot -- and I have had that happen -- then I want to be able to give it to them. Most of the time they just give you permission to email a partial or full. (BTW, an agent once requested my full -- as in, wanted it right there -- and it wasn't ready. I felt like an idiot.)

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I'm giving some serious thought to attending Thrillerfest in NYC this summer. Promos promise an "agentfest" with 50 agents ready to hear pitches.

So, how does one go about pitching an agent at a fest? Is it like speed dating? Do they sit at tables and wait for a writer to walk up and start talking? What printed materials do I need?

The Thrillerfest website tells you how it works. They have a whole section on agentfest and a FAQs page.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The world’s largest gathering of top literary agents looking for the Next Big Thing. More specifically, it’s three-and-a-half hours of pitching your manuscript to as many agents as you have the time and energy to meet.

I've never heard of such a thing.... grumble.... why is all the cool stuff always so far away :rant:

DennisB

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you. I was only looking at the info on the ITW web site.

I like the part that says the agents are actively seeking "the next big thing."

rac

Registered
Reaction score

I like the part that says the agents are actively seeking "the next big thing."

Agents are absolutely looking for the next big thing. They're really hungry for it, because it has gotten so difficult to place books. The market is tough; they aren't making the money they used to make. Sometimes I wonder if agents who attend writing conferences frequently are doing it for the fees they earn and the opportunity to pitch their own books. I spoke to a publisher several weeks ago who believes agents will be a thing of the past in ten years, that electronic publishing will have changed everything. She's been in the book business for 26 years, and she sees this coming like a tidal wave. We'll see if she's right...