Reccomendations for New Romance or Erotica?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.G. Dobbins

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I have been looking for some steamy romance novels to enjoy. The problem is that everything I stumble across seems to sacrifice the story for the steamy portions or the novel is dripping with purple prose that either makes me laugh or throw the book across the room. My time is precious, so what are some new romance or erotica novels that you might suggest?

Last edited:

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com

B.G. Dobbins

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both for the suggestions. I will definitely look into some of those and also the books of those kind enough to help me out :).

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Yes, lots of AWers write romance and/or erotic romance and/or erotica. Perhaps if you want to clarify for us what sort of subgenre you're interested in (like, do you want contemporary, or paranormal, or BDSM, or historical, or...?) we can give you better recommendations.

I'm not sure what books you've stumbled across, but there's plenty of well-written romance out there, and plenty of well-written erotica, and plenty of well-written books with strong romantic subplots, even. As a general thing, we try not to put down entire genres here; it's part of our One Rule (Respect Your Fellow Writer). I'm absolutely sure you meant no disrespect, and there's nothing wrong with saying you've tried a lot of books and found them not to your taste, this is just a friendly, general reminder for future reference. :)

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
Story is always first for me, reading and writing. If the story isn't strong, it's not worth writing.

I love most of Angela Knight's stuff... not big on her mainstream vamps but her fantasy and SFF is good. Lorelei James's Rough Riders is western contemp and have strong romances at the core. Inez Kelley isn't erotic but she does great sexy tension and stories that stick with you. Kate Pearce is another I enjoy. Her Simply series might appeal.

Did you want erotica or erotic romance?

B.G. Dobbins

Registered
Reaction score
As a general thing, we try not to put down entire genres here; it's part of our One Rule (Respect Your Fellow Writer). I'm absolutely sure you meant no disrespect, and there's nothing wrong with saying you've tried a lot of books and found them not to your taste, this is just a friendly, general reminder for future reference. :)

I was definitely not trying to offend anyone here or put down the genre at all! I'm sorry if it came off that way; I can see where it might. I read a lot, and I do mean A LOT, so I have read several great erotic and/or romance novels, but the ones I have read lately just haven't connected with me. I should have thought about links to novels of the AbsoluteWrite author's available on this forum that could help me out, too. I generally will try any subgenre. I'm not picky in terms of that. Hope I haven't made too much of a jerk of myself :).

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
Psh, you're fine, you clarified your point and you meant no harm. Anyone that judges you for asking a question is someone not worthy of judging...or something like that. I haven't had my coffee yet so...yeah.

Either way, you have nothing to stress about.

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I read a lot, and I do mean A LOT, so I have read several great erotic and/or romance novels, but the ones I have read lately just haven't connected with me.

If you could tell us some of the books you enjoyed in the past in the genre, it may make it easier to make recommendations.

DruidKitt

Snarky McWriterPants
Registered
Reaction score
The problem is that everything I stumble across seems to sacrifice the story for the steamy portions or the novel is dripping with purple prose that either makes me laugh or throw the book across the room.

Maybe you're not a fan of erotica? In erotica, the sexual journey IS the story, a lot of times.

It might be helpful for you to try a specific genre. Like, an erotic romantic suspense, or something along that order. Something that has a story other than the love story. It seems from your post that you want a story with sex as a side-dish instead of the main course. Which is fine. But you won't get that reading erotica.

I hope this helps!

Hildegarde

A newb in the fog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nightmarefactory.com
Maybe you're not a fan of erotica? In erotica, the sexual journey IS the story, a lot of times.

I hope this helps!

Ummm - this? I notice you ask for 'steamy romance' and then further down 'erotica'. If you are browsing in the erotica section, you are most likely going to get books that focus on the naughty bits. 'Romance' on the other hand is a huge genre and contains plenty of books with all kinds of sub-plots. The trick then can be finding something that hits exactly the heat level you are looking for.

As far as well-written erotica - I'm reading J. Kenner's Release Me right now. So far I am really enjoying it. Julie writes in other genres under slightly different pen names, so I was pretty confident I could trust her prose.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I was definitely not trying to offend anyone here or put down the genre at all! I'm sorry if it came off that way; I can see where it might. I read a lot, and I do mean A LOT, so I have read several great erotic and/or romance novels, but the ones I have read lately just haven't connected with me. I should have thought about links to novels of the AbsoluteWrite author's available on this forum that could help me out, too. I generally will try any subgenre. I'm not picky in terms of that. Hope I haven't made too much of a jerk of myself :).
It's fine :) if the title could be changed that would be cool. I think it was an accidental choice of words in the title that came off in a way you didn't mean.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com

No, no, like I said, it was just a friendly reminder and I am certain you meant no offense; please don't give it another thought.

As a general comment...sometimes we mods speak up because posts have been reported to us. Sometimes we speak up because there's a possibility one might be reported to us. Sometimes we speak up just so people know we're aware of the thread and what's been said in it, in hopes of averting having posts reported or discussions becoming heated (so everyone is on the same page, basically).

If there's an actual problem, you'll know. :) We try to always assume goodwill here.

Seriously, don't worry about this.

B.G. Dobbins

Registered
Reaction score
If you could tell us some of the books you enjoyed in the past in the genre, it may make it easier to make recommendations.

If I had to choose, I have really enjoyed books by Shiloh Walker, Jennifer Armentrout, and Gena Showalter. Some lighter romance novels I have liked are Hush, Hush and the Elemental Mysteries series.

So I have read a lot more paranormal genres than anything, but some of my favorites like Memoirs of a Geisha (if you consider that romance) are not paranormal.

But thank you everyone for your input! It is much appreciated :) I will definitely look into some of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.