am I the only one...

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Red meat (cooked as rare as legally possible with a dash of salt afterwards) makes me happy.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Ladyxkaa, welcome to AW.

I've had stretches where I ate mostly meat, though I wouldn't call it obsessing over it; I just made it a large part of my diet. At one time, I was working very hard and had little money to show for it (ain't it always that way!?) and I would buy meat that had been reduced for quick sale, and ate a lot of that because it was cheaper than pretty much anything else, and it was easy to fix, just sear it in a hot skillet with some salt and I was happy. Mmm, meat! :D

Now I eat very little meat but your thread is making me hongry for a very rare piece of steak.

Ladyxkaa

Consigliere to Don Fluffles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
xD sorry. but yeah I have ALWAYS loved meat to a serious degree. mom calls me her little carnivore. (I say this because I am short and 22, and she is taller than me and in her late 50s) we buy meat at a good price at a local store called Kings. it's got a lot of really high quality meat for cheap.

Ladyxkaa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
Red meat (cooked as rare as legally possible with a dash of salt afterwards) makes me happy.

red meat rocks, but don't forget fish! and POULTRY. good Gilbert GOTTFRIED I love poultry. my favorite meal of all time is dark meat(cuz it's usually more moist) turkey with corn, lots and lots and lots and lots and lots*bricked for being redundant* stuffing and a large amount of cranberry sauce.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yum.

I did get to a stopping point, though. One day I just felt like I needed a change and went on a very different eating track, cut out meat entirely for a few weeks, and ate a lot of fresh produce.

Generally I try to pay close attention to what my body wants (not the same as appetites or surface cravings) and after some practice at that, I've gotten fairly good at listening.

Ladyxkaa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
Yum.

I did get to a stopping point, though. One day I just felt like I needed a change and went on a very different eating track, cut out meat entirely for a few weeks, and ate a lot of fresh produce.

Generally I try to pay close attention to what my body wants (not the same as appetites or surface cravings) and after some practice at that, I've gotten fairly good at listening.

that's a good way to stay healthy ^^ me? I follow cravings religiously. and thankfully we usually have what I crave. like for the longest time I was obsessed with fruit so I had mom get a LOT of it from walmart, including fruit juice. those fruit fusion v8's were gloriously DELICIOUS.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Not the only one, I truly enjoy a large piece of meat in my mouth.

*re-evaluates own wording....

I like meat, a lot. I'm not askeerd of fat, either. But I try to keep more veggies coming in than meat still.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
*re-evaluates own wording.....

Heh... he he... I'm so juvenile.

I barely eat meat. I love cooking, so I'll include meat in a stew or something, but I rarely cook a piece of meat as the main part of a dish.

My mother, however, only wants meat in a meal. It's funny to go home, and sit down to a slab of beef, a few carrots and a potato. It's totally reversed for me now, but that used to be standard fare. She jokes she can't imagine how could have turned out so badly ;)

Every few weeks, I'll have a meat dish - usually out, a burger or a steak - and I'll call her to tell her so she can be reassured I haven't gone veg or anything.

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
I eat a lot of meat. Luckily, I also live in an area where we have a lot of butchers and local livestock being raised. The nearby grocery store actually makes a point of trying to get a significant portion of produce and meat from local farmers, when possible. Still, when I have something special, I go to one of four local butchers. One of them raises their animals literally down the road from our house, though I have to drive twenty minutes into town to be able to buy any of it.

I love a well-cooked pork or steak. Badly cooked pork is worse than chicken. Steak, I've learned to sous vide in a beverage cooler and how to butter baste. For butter basting, I'm perfecting a rub based on cocoa powder and profiles. It perfectly sets off the meat. Pork is best when it's super thick and brined in an apple cider solution, and then grilled to not-well-done. Or smoked anything (we smoke our own bacon now, and nothing is more wonderful than a side of bacon right off the smoker).

All that said, I usually only have significant meat portions once a day. Lunch is often either vegetarian or very light meat, and last meal (midnight dinner, usually) is almost always vegetarian.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I eat a fair bit of meat, but I wouldn't say I obsess over it. I'm healthier when I eat more meat (genetic protein defect here along with malaborption issues), so I make sure to get my daily quota in. And we definitely have our preferences. We eat a fair bit of lamb, particularly lamb tenderloin which, oh my, is one fantastic cut of meat. Expensive, but good.

We both react to beef, certain types of fish, I'm allergic to crab, we can't get turkey, the husband is Muslim so pork is so completely out, so we certainly have our limitations in what kind of meat we can consume, but hey, we do our best. :D

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I could never be vegetarian. I need my meat.

Ladyxkaa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
I am NEVER eating lamb xD sheep are just way too cute. I like to eat certain veggies too. and I never forget my monthly lowfat yogurt. usually cherry or blueberry =3 mom takes good care of me, because sometimes the ONLY thing I can eat is the yogurt. I have some weird thing with my stomach.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I frequently have no appetite at all, so when I am hungry I try to fill up on meat first. I recently rediscovered a love for A1 that I'd forgotten about long ago!

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I love meat. In unhealthy ways.

I keep thinking that maybe I should cut down on my consumption and my gf keeps pointing out the hypocrisy of me bending down for every worm on the sidewalk to deposit it in safe grass.

I love chicken wings. Nothing makes me happier than chicken wings.

Then steak. Whether it be chateaubriand or a fillet or a t-bone steak or a ribeye, I LOVE steak. Me and my partner have a joke that even when we're full, we could eat a steak.

I love bacon, ham and I love pork chops and lamb chops and I just love meat. Ok? I could eat meat every single day.

I also love raw fish.

Animals aren't safe when I'm around :D

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Rocks? Dirt? Plastic? Books? Steel?

Certain rocks and dirt have vital mineral content. Actually, I saw a thing long, long ago on some news magazine show, about some place in the south that had dirt for sale in the supermarkets, in the cold section, like meat, in little styrofoam trays, such a desired local delicacy their soil was.

Plastic will go right through you; books are cellulose mostly, so that's just roughage in the end and I guess if you have small enough pieces of steel? Better than meat, though, all of it. :)

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've gone the opposite direction in the past couple of years and meat often just grosses me out and I don't want it. I have no idea why.

However, as far as what someone mentioned about letting their body tell them what it wants, oh no, not here. What my body wants is potato chips and dip, cake, ice cream, French fries, candy, cookies and doughnuts. I have never craved a vegetable, unless of course it was battered and deep fried. When I was pregnant I craved delicious bottomland farm dirt. It probably wouldn't have tasted as good as it looked, though. :)

Last edited:

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
I'm definitely an omnivore, but I can't really afford meat very often at the moment.

I'm an animal lover, to the point where most people expect me to be a vegetarian, but nope.
Grew up in a family where we raised our own beef and lamb, and have spent time in a country where meat for the night was often slaughtered in front of you.
If that didn't put me off, I don't think anything will. I've got to confess that sometimes I'll look at a cow in a field and think "steak... look at all that steak."

BTW In my opinion, cows are much cuter than sheep. Ever seen a jersey cow?

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
I'm a carnivore. If I go without beef (and it has to be beef) for more than a few days, I start gnawing on legs of passersby. And it has to be fresh, and if not raw, durn close to it. Just wave the branding iron around and scare the cow a bit, plenty cooked.

Angus cattle are beautiful. Doesn't stop me from eatin' 'em. :e2teeth:

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
I'm definitely an omnivore, but I can't really afford meat very often at the moment.

It only takes about 3 ounces of meat to fulfill your protein needs. That's about a dollar's worth, if you buy inexpensive cuts (and eat all the fat, too!) I've found it's actually cheaper to eat based around meat; for one thing, it takes less total food to satisfy. Amino acid balance and sufficient fat are wonderful things.

If that didn't put me off, I don't think anything will. I've got to confess that sometimes I'll look at a cow in a field and think "steak... look at all that steak."

There's a Red Angus ranch down the road a bit, and every time I go by all those excellent cows, I think... beautiful, lovely steak. Tons and tons of tender, juicy, tasty steak. And sometimes I sing out the window....

"Hey, good-lookin', whacha got cookin'..."

BTW In my opinion, cows are much cuter than sheep. Ever seen a jersey cow?

Or an Angus calf? Now there's cute!

And piglets are adorable. Mmm, bacon. :D