Authors should never respond to reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
As used in this context, 'catfish' is a person who pretends to be someone else online.

And the guy she contacted about catfishing has a TV show where they introduce people who've only talked online, and where one thinks there's something up. It's a rather different thing, as it's people who've had a lot of contact and their meet-up is arranged. I can see why he might be a little cautious, as there's a big difference between wondering why your internet close friend sent photos from a stock site and said it was them, and stalking a reviewer who gave you a bad review.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I read my bad reviews because I learn from them. I learn to make the next book better; I learn where I am weak in the eyes of some readers, and I try to figure out if they are right and if so try to do better next time. In one case, I was able to improve the actual book in question: one reader complained of "too many coincidences" so when I had the chance to revise the book for a digital edition I removed one real coincidence (the other one wasn't real, in that it had no influence on the story development; it was just a chance meeting that led nowhere.) Also, one of my friends told me there were "too many flowers" in the original edition, so when I revised it I removed some flowers! So I got a better book.
I really don't mind bad reviews. I expect that people won't universally love my books. I am sure that for the next one I will get some flak for certain issues, but I stand by them, and I will read the reviews.
You should only not read reviews if you are likely to fall into a deep depression and develop a writer's block that will prevent you from writing ever again. I don't think it's necessarily good advice for every single writer.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I just got an odd email.

This (self-pubbed) author whom I'll call A sent out the email to what looks like everyone on his mailing list with a free copy of his latest book attached. The email says that he was contacted by another author, B, who also self-pubbed her book. She didn't know how to do the formatting, so she asked A for help. He provided lots thereof, for free.

Then later, on some discussion board, he saw B claiming that she'd done the formatting for her book herself. So he joined the discussion to give his side of that story, and that started an argument. He claims that now B has got friends of hers to give one-star reviews to his latest book.

I checked the book on Amazon, and there are at least as many one-stars as five-stars. But the one-stars don't all cluster together on the same date, and they do mention problems in the book like too much sex. Author A stresses that this isn't the case at all because the book is horror, not romance.

Anyway, Author A is now trying to get people to leave feedback on the book to balance those spite-reviews. He said in the email that it doesn't matter if the review is a placeholder a la "Looking forward to reading this!" because he just wants to stop this "wannabe" from sabotaging years' work on his part.

I deleted the email because I didn't feel comfortable with reviewing a book solely to counter spite-reviews rather than because I read it and enjoyed it (or didn't), but here's another way at least one author responds to bad reviews.

Last edited:

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
I have always been sympathetic to review sites because it seems like they get dumped on disproportionately (and in fact, when I send out review copies to people who request them, I say "Look, I don't read these unless you send them to me directly, thank you for taking the time to consider it.") And you hear horror stories of course, about people behaving badly to the point of illegality.

But man, showing up at somebody's house...and the publisher who gave out her address! Good god! I'd be (metaphorically) hammering on their door going "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!?"

ghost

Hey, that's my bike!
Registered
Reaction score
The Guardian have just published an article by Kathl33n Hal3 about how she tracked down someone who reviewed her book. There's a great plug for everyone's favourite hate site in there.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/20...ronts-her-number-one-online-critic?CMP=twt_gu

Leaving before I punch my screen. No prizes for guessing which paper I'm definitely NOT buying today!

I read this earlier and I had to stop from rolling my eyes and shouting in the dog park when I came across the STGRB plug.

Personally, I don't understand why the author seems to think this is catfishing. So what if a blogger has a secret identity. Big deal. People who catfish are different. They form relationships (sometimes romantic) with others. Using an alias to write book reviews isn't a big deal in my opinion.

The author's behavior is downright scary if you ask me. If she hadn't engaged the reviewer to begin with, none of this would have escalated.

What the author did was downright stalking.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I read this earlier and I had to stop from rolling my eyes and shouting in the dog park when I came across the STGRB plug.

Personally, I don't understand why the author seems to think this is catfishing. So what if a blogger has a secret identity. Big deal. People who catfish are different. They form relationships (sometimes romantic) with others. Using an alias to write book reviews isn't a big deal in my opinion.

The author's behavior is downright scary if you ask me. If she hadn't engaged the reviewer to begin with, none of this would have escalated.

What the author did was downright stalking.

I think stealing someone's facebook photos and faking trips is a bit more than using an alias to review books, and this Blythe sounds like an asshole, but on the other hand, the author probably shouldn't have engaged with her.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I think stealing someone's facebook photos and faking trips is a bit more than using an alias to review books, and this Blythe sounds like an asshole, but on the other hand, the author probably shouldn't have engaged with her.

Another great example of two wrongs not making a right, and someone digging themselves deeper and deeper into a pile of shit. There are some situations that where one has to simply back away slowly while avoiding eye contact.

I did once buy a book by an author who took a negative reviewer to the carpet, simply because the negative review, and the author's response to it, suggested that there might be things I liked in their writing.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
A magnificent open letter to Kathleen Hale and the Guardian:
http://bibliodaze.com/2014/10/an-open-letter-to-kathleen-hale-guardian-books-stalking-is-not-okay/
I read your article on the Guardian today with a mixture of shock, confusion and genuine fear. The piece, “Am I Being Catfished? An Author Confronts Her Number One Online Critic” was not only a hatchet job full of factual inaccuracies, it was a straight up bragging fest about stalking someone who had the gall to give you a negative review. The reviewer in question (who, in the interests of transparency, I have been friendly with for many years now on Goodreads), you claimed, was using a false identity, which you took great pains to unmask. Said unmasking including gathering of her online information, subtweeting to deliberately antagonise, getting hold of her personal address to directly meet her, and more that I can’t even type here because it makes me that sick. You even refer to your activities as “stalking”, although you don’t seem to understand the weight of that term.

yayeahyeah

Registered
Reaction score

You're basing your judgment of Blythe sounding like an asshole on Hale's side of the story, though, right? Because as someone who always found her reviews interesting I definitely wouldn't have described her like that. I'm a bit lost on the Facebook photos thing but as far as I can tell the only suggestion that Blythe did this is coming from Hale, and I don't necessarily think someone who admits to stalking is particularly likely to be being 100% honest.

ghost

Hey, that's my bike!
Registered
Reaction score

I'm not fully convinced this is true. Those who are familiar with Blythe are stating this is false.

yayeahyeah

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not fully convinced this is true. Those who are familiar with Blythe are stating this is false.

Thank you for pointing this out. One of the things that has upset me the most is lots of authors I like who are criticising Hale for doing this but seem to be taking her claims at face value. It definitely doesn't seem like something Blythe would do to me.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I don't know Blythe but I have seen no corroborating evidence whatsoever that she engaged in bullying. Not one other person, in the links I have read, have confirmed that they have seen it, that it actually took place. Not one actual quote. Frankly, I'm sceptical.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
How about when we say we're not going to psychoanalyse strangers on the internet, we actually don't do it? Thanks :).

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How about when we say we're not going to psychoanalyse strangers on the internet, we actually don't do it? Thanks :).

And adding to this, let's please remember that it's highly unlikely that we can ever fully get what's going on in a murky and sensationalized set of stories like this. Guilt, innocence, validity of claims, motives, reported facts that turn out false -- this situation is one in a number of displays recently of terrible behavior online, among people we'd prefer to be able to feel are above this crap. And maybe some of them really are!

I am wondering what the value of this exploration is to us as writers and community members. It's important to be aware of these events, sure, but might we steer away from indulging the titillation value of the suffering of others? Gossip like that is pretty toxic.

What does fascinate me about these stories of online misbehavior and the various questions raised is how this kind of thing might be portrayed in fiction. I imagine it's terribly difficult to do well, but I feel sure there are examples out there; I just can't think of any. Stories in which one thinks the villain is X but it all turns out to be much more complex than that, and the villainy ends up shared among many players, for instance.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I think there are serious lessons to be learned from this.
I'm basically a trusting person but there's a reason nobody in virtual space knows my real name, and cannot find it.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All right. Would you be willing to say more about what those lessons are? Or what they could be?

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
This whole story disturbs and fascinates me, and I hope someone will dig up the evidence to corroborate (or not) the blogger's supposed "bullying" behavior. Not because it could justify the author's response, but to get a fuller picture.

As I was reading Hale's account of her obsessive desire to speak to Blythe face to face (whether through video chat or IRL), I thought, "This would make a great novel." Me, when I encounter someone I see as a troll or a bully, online or IRL, I go to great lengths to avoid that person and pretend they don't exist (pretty much the same strategy I used with bullies who called me names on the schoolbus). Don't engage, don't encourage.

Why would someone want to engage? Laying aside Hale and whatever her issues may be, I think it's an interesting question to explore. To set the record straight? To convince the reviewer she was wrong to bash your book? To make her issue a public apology? But if the situation was as described here, none of those things was likely to happen. Either Blythe sincerely found the book offensive and despicable, in which case she was unlikely to change her mind despite the author telling her she'd misunderstood; or she had written the review as trolling, in which case the author's anger was exactly what she desired and would continue to incite.

And yet, part of me can understand a writer's desire to engage with the reviewer and convince her she's wrong. I would never do it, but I think it's a very human desire, and hence great fiction material. Some people don't want to live with the knowledge that anybody hates them, even a stranger on the Internet (who doesn't even really hate them, only the fictional world they created).

When I started teaching college, about 20 freakin' years ago, I got a comment on a student evaluation: "She really, REALLY sucks." No reasons given. Two decades later, this is the comment I remember. I will never know why the student thought I sucked-- maybe he just didn't get the grade he wanted. But an expression of pure disgust and contempt directed at you can be hard to let go, especially when you're just starting out in a profession and feeling insecure. (Note: I haven't read Blythe's review. It may have been far more reasonable, analytical and nuanced than my student's comment. But Hale appears to have read it as something similar: a provocative expression of contempt.)

If you look at the GR reviews for Hale's novel, it appears she has a strong voice or approach that alienates some readers, while totally winning over others. If I were shopping, that polarization would intrigue me, maybe make me download a sample. Honestly, I suspect it's better for sales to have a lot of polarized reviews than a few bland, "meh" ones. Even Hale acknowledges in the piece that her book is an odd one, and odd books, even bestselling ones, tend to get mixed reader reviews. So why fixate on one particular reviewer who "didn't get it"? Why care so much about unmasking her? That's what I'd write about.

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
All right. Would you be willing to say more about what those lessons are? Or what they could be?

I almost always keep a wide birth from such kerfuffles. I'm not insterested in smear campaigns and gossip; they really seem like Mean Girls kind of playground catfights. The big difference to this case is that it was published in the Guardian. The Guardian: one of the four most respected UK mainstream newspapers. It published only one side of the story; a tale of stalking and privacy invasion the likes of which has my mind boggling. Practically giving an author a platform to display obnoxious behaviour. Most of the comments to the Guardian article were supportive of the author. Her account of the story is taken at face value, even though there is no corroboration, no evidence except her word. I think this is significant.

The main lesson to be learned here, again and again: Authors must STAY AWAY from reviewer spaces. Just keep away. We are not invited. We have to learn to keep our mouths zipped shut. If we can't do that then do as some advise, and don't even read your reviews. Seriously. Don't even thank the reviewer for a good review. (I think this is different if you have liaised with the reviewer in advance, asked for a review and the reviewer has accepted. Then of course you can thank afterwards -- whether the review is good or bad.)

The second lesson is anonymity. I've always been very sensitive about this anyway; from the beginning of my interaction on forums or blogs I've used an alias, or at the very least, my pen name. I can't think of any way an internet troll could ever find out my real name, and it's going to stay that way. But under whatever name I post, comment or blog, I am me, the same person, and I try to be as professional, serious, compassionate as possible. I don't like drama and I back away the moment things get hot. I will continue to do back away. I really am not into fake drama, which is exactly what these internet kerfuffles are. Fake. Utterly fake.

I am disappointed that the Guardian decided to hand this person the mike. Especially as she has chosen to stir up the drama almost a year after the said review. A year! IN this case, the reviewer in question seems to have chosen to lie low and not respond to the accusations, and in that way she is setting the example. This is what authors need to do.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's a question in my mind also: why did the Guardian choose to give publicity to this?

Witch_turtle

hanging around for a spell
Registered
Reaction score
With all the GamerGate shenanigans and now this, I'm becoming increasingly regretful of not using a pen name. I wonder if it's too late?

Status
Not open for further replies.