"Broadly drawn" and other phrases writers probably shouldn't lose sleep over

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
From the phrase "broadly drawn," I get that things aren't specific enough and are too generic. Sure, commercial fiction needs to have wide appeal, but the characters, their traits, settings, scenes, challenges and conflicts should still feel very specific to their particular book and story. Maybe there were elements that either felt stereotypical to this agent or simply underwritten and not detailed enough.

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
Is this the novel with Arthur? Because if it is, it sounds more like a generic reject than something specific to the query/book. It's most definitely commercial, and quirky enough to get lots of nibbles. And it's not focused on the whole of the city, but is specific to Arthur and his world from what I've gathered. So I don't think it's that the story itself is too all-encompassing or unfocused.

Or, ya know, maybe the guy is a putz who's deathly afraid of anything with a fun, slightly-weird protag. *shrug* I wouldn't let him drive you crazy over it, unless a bunch of other agents say the same thing.

Last edited:

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Yeppp.

My dad said it's like JD Salinger wrote Odd Thomas, so maybe I'll put that in the query.

Hell, maybe that'll be the WHOLE query.

Dear Agent,

I heard you like books so I wrote one. My grammy likes it and my dad said it's like JD Salinger wrote ODD THOMAS, and it's got like, all these horses in it, and autism, and oh, man. It's so good. You'll love it, which is why I am sending it to you, tied to this brick (which I would like returned in the SASE I included), which I hurled through your daughter's bedroom window.

Love,

H. Badger

P.S. I really like what you've done with the hall carpet.

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
Yeppp.

My dad said it's like JD Salinger wrote Odd Thomas, so maybe I'll put that in the query.

Hell, maybe that'll be the WHOLE query.

Dear Agent,

I heard you like books so I wrote one. My grammy likes it and my dad said it's like JD Salinger wrote ODD THOMAS, and it's got like, all these horses in it, and autism, and oh, man. It's so good. You'll love it, which is why I am sending it to you, tied to this brick (which I would like returned in the SASE I included), which I hurled through your daughter's bedroom window.

Love,

H. Badger

P.S. I really like what you've done with the hall carpet.

Hmmm... you may want to clarify if it's like Odd Thomas during his Elvis days or his Sinatra days. Just to make sure the agent has a clear understanding.

The hall carpet is a nice touch. I'm sure they'll appreciate your compliment on their home improvement projects!