The Everlong Edit

Dripp

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question for people on here about what I should do given my current agent situation.

I signed with an agent about a year and a half ago for my first novel. At the time, the agent said she loved the book, thought it was incredible and said we’d just do a quick edit and then she’d start pitching to publishers within just a week or two. Needless to say, I was very excited.

Well, a week or two quickly turned into a month or two and soon the quick edit turned into a much longer edit. I was told that she had read the novel a few times and had decided that it would benefit from a more thorough edit due to the tone and depth of the story. She said “this one is worth getting perfect” and told me that she doesn’t usually spend this much effort on edits, but really felt this one would benefit from the careful treatment. This agent, mind you, was an editor for a top publishing house for many years before becoming an agent, so she’s well qualified to be doing such a thorough edit. And, though disappointed it would be taking much longer than I originally thought, I felt honored to be getting such feedback—and for free at that. But because this agent is the head of the agency, she is very busy and doesn’t have a great deal of spare time to be devoting to this edit. Because of this, it has been slow going. There has been forward movement, but it seems like the times between feedback keep growing longer and longer and I’m starting to become very frustrated and hopeless.

I sent her my last revision in December and was told I’d have more feedback by the end of February. Contacted her in March when I hadn’t heard anything, and was told mid-March would be when to expect more. It’s now almost mid-April. I sent her two emails last week and haven’t heard back. I tried to call her office, but she’s out of town for the next week and a half.

I can appreciate that a thorough edit can take a while, and I can appreciate that she’s very busy and it’s difficult for her to find the time to devote to it, but we aren’t even halfway through the book as far as edits go and it’s been well over a year already. I’ve written an entire sequel novel in the meantime and am starting a third novel. I do not know what to do or expect. I have expressed my frustration with how long it is taking in the past, but was mostly met with defensive justifications and made to feel like my impatience was entirely unreasonable. I can’t tell if it is or isn’t. All I know is I’ve been waiting for quite some time now for this to happen. My writing career is in her hands and I feel like there is nothing I can do but wait, with no end in sight. I’ll keep writing in the meantime, but I’ve already created a backlog.

Is this situation reasonable and I should stop my complaining and stick it out?

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Man, i can sense your level of frustration. i have a friend who has been waiting FOREVER for editor notes. this business is sooooooooo slow. i don't know what the answer is, but just wanted to send you (((((((((majorhugs))))))))) because i can hear how frustrated and upset you are and i don't blame you at all. this business can make you feel so disheartened on so many levels. Hope everything works out.

I look forward to following this thread and seeing what others have to say.

Mel

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I note that this is your first thread. We've been getting lots of threads like this for the past several months. Sounds like your agent is a good one. So...

Yes, it's frustrating.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

RKLipman

Seasoned Veteran of Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ricklipman.com
I don't know that there's a right answer, here. "Is this reasonable?" seems like a matter for individuals to decide for themselves (unless something is so grossly out of the bounds of professionalism or ethical behavior - which this isn't).

My personal opinion - no, I don't think it's reasonable, and unless I had some very compelling reasons to stick around, I would likely terminate the relationship as described and begin hunting for a new agent.

Determination

Is watching you
Registered
Reaction score
I would be frustrated too. Sounds like a little editing has turned into a complete rewrite. I would try and schedule a phone call with her when she is back in town and have a heart to heart. Explain your frustrations and get some idea of exactly how much work she thinks your book still needs. My understanding is that once your book finds a publisher, it's still going to go through an editor anyway but that your agent is trying to do the job of both agent and editor without really having the time to do so. Talk to her and see if you guys can reach some sort of happy medium. If you can't, maybe it's time to sever ties and find a new agent.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I totally hear ya on the wait. God and to think I was complaining to my agent for waiting three months and that's on submission! Personally, if I were you I would have one last heart to heart like Determination said and take it from there. IF you are still getting the blow off and procrastination, cut your ties from that point on. It shouldn't take an agent over a year for edits and revisions when she loved the book in the first place. How long is your agent contract for? Usually they're only a year...and you rolled this over into the next year? Yeah, definitely would give her an ultimatum or just cut ties now.

Having a bad agent is worse then having no agent at all. She's stalling on your writing career. You have to ask yourself do you want to keep waiting on her indefinitely, or move forward at this point? I think over a year and nothing, not even a read through from the last revision says it right there.

Dripp

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone.

It isn't that nothing has been happening, it's just that there are long gaps between things happening. Forward motion has occured, but at a snail's pace. I do intend to call her when she's back in her office and try to pin down a definitive plan of some sort. But I could swear I've tried that in the past and about as far as I get is some vague notion that we are on track and there's no way of knowing how long it will take and etc... I don't know.

My current contract with her is essentially a forever-and-for-all-things contract. She will supposedly represent anything I write ever. Contract is only ended by 90 day notice by either party. But I fear if I leave and try to find another agent, I will have given up my one chance. What if I don't find another agent and this was my best hope? I'd be kicking myself forever.

I feel very much stuck. Every time I've brought up my concern with her I've only been left feeling like a complaining dumbass who just needs to be patient and doesn't understand how things work. And maybe that's true. I honestly don't have the experience to be able to tell one way or the other. If the answer is to just sit tight and wait it out and good things will come, then ok. But if the answer is that this is only going to lead nowhere, then I'd like to know that and move on.

RKLipman

Seasoned Veteran of Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ricklipman.com
It doesn't matter much if this is your 'only chance' (spoiler alert: it's not) if your book never makes it out the door.

From the process you describe, as well as the feelings you're left with after your conversations, I'm going to go out on a limb and say this agent does NOT sound like the best fit for you or your work.

When people say 'a bad agent is worse than no agent at all', they don't just mean scammers and crooks. Someone who is not a good fit for you, doesn't clearly communiticate, and with whom you are not on the same page - is a bad agent. For you. (They may be fabulous for somebody else.)

Only you can make the final and right decision for your career, but if I were in your shoes I would seriously consider sending the 90 days notice.

If you do, be sure to do so via registered mail.

Last edited:

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
RK has hit the nail on the head. Remember Uncle Jim's words: What's Publishable By One is Publishable By Many.
If she leaves you feeling like a complaining dumb ass, maybe you are not the best fit personality-wise.

The only thing I have to ask is: does your agent know you are feeling twitchy? Might be an idea to let her know.

And, though disappointed it would be taking much longer than I originally thought, I felt honored to be getting such feedback—and for free at that.

You do know publishing moves at a marginally slower pace than ice sheets? When I read this bit I wondered how you were going to cope when your MS came back from the Editor covered in red pen. Publishing takes a long time. Sometimes you have to rewrite things. Are you prepared for that?
Also, why are you honoured that she's doing her job? Obviously, I don't know her and my mind reading capabilities turn out not to be real after all, but I will still bet you a dollar this editing is happening because she thinks she's going to be able to get more money for a better MS. Do you actually agree with all of these edits you're making?

Think your decision over carefully and for heavens sake, make sure she is aware of everything you've said in this thread. She can't fix a problem she does know exists.

Colossus

I reckon so.
Registered
Reaction score
As picky as some agents are and as difficult as it is to sign a reputable one (as I have yet to do), as long as you believe the advice is sound and constructive I'd stay the course.

Of course, a little prodding doesn't hurt now and then.

Dripp

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback.

Ultimately I just wanted to know what others thought of the situation--if it sounded absurd and like I was being strung along, or if it was within the bounds of reasonable and was likely to work out in the end.

I think there's a distinct difference between the process simply taking a long time and the process going nowhere. My fear is it's the latter, but objectively, it's probably the former. As for feeling like a complaining dumbass, I don't know if that's the agent's fault or simply my own insecurity. She's been in the publishing business since before I was born. She probably knows what she's doing. For the time being I'm going to ride it out. I was able to touch base with her via email today and it sounds like things have not completely derailed. It's just frustrating feeling like my writing career is on hold. But hopefully my patience pays off in the end.

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
I think you left out critical information

You've been getting feedback, just too slowly. But is the feedback of good quality? Do you feel it helps your novel? Is it precise and focused? Is the agent making her way through the book in a logical fashion, and does the feedback fit together in an integrated whole? Is her feedback helping you in your writing ability, and are you learning from her to the extent that your current novels are being improved? Because I've learned that one good comment can ripple though all your work.

If yes, you might consider keeping her.

But if the feedback is disjointed, if one set of comments doesn't quite mesh with the next, if there appears no end in sight, and if you don't understand or agree with many of the comments, well, you know the answer.

You don't sound like you're excited by what she's doing to your novel, and most of the time writers are gushing at the attention they're getting. So, I'm guessing not only is there not enough feedback, you don't particular like it.

Very frustrating though. It's like winning the gold ring, and then having it crumble in your hands.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Dripp, who is this agent? Has she sold books you've heard of? Are books by her clients found on bookshop shelves? Is she charging you for any of this advice?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'd have told her to take a flying leap about a year and three months ago. I've never allowed an agent to do anything other than make initial suggestions about things she thought would improve the novel.

No way in hell should any agent take a year and a half before getting a novel out the door. No way in hell should an agent take three months.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Even in the slowest of times, it shouldn't take this long. And I'm a ridiculously patient person. I'm sorry you're going through this.

I'd tell her you're seriously considering terminating the contract, though you're sad to have to do so, and explain in very clear language why.

Dripp

Registered
Reaction score
tko—the feedback has actually been very good and thorough and consistent. I have learned a great deal from it. My agent doesn’t typically do this much editing, but she told me that she felt my novel was worth getting as perfect as possible because of the subject matter and depth. She was an award winning editor for some of the top publishing houses for years before becoming an agent, so she is well qualified to be doing what she’s doing. I realize it isn’t typical for agents to edit, but her edits are not major structural changes of any sort, just very careful combing through and teasing out every last detail—making sure all the descriptions are what they should be and that the narrative is consistent, and also doing a lot of fact checking—making sure I have legal details correct and such.

Old hack—I’d prefer not to give out the name of the agent or myself as I’d like to remain anonymous, but she is well established in her field, is a member of AAR and PEN, and has sold books for 6 and 7 figure advances before. No, she is not charging for what she is doing. Our contract is the pretty standard one where she gets 15% when she sells the book.

James—I’m always of the opinion that if someone likely has a great deal more experience than myself that I should give careful consideration to what they have to say. I am still young and still learning and feel personally that my agent has the ability to teach me things. And thus far, much of what she’s helped me with has felt spot on, and not overbearing opinion of someone who is trying to snuff out my voice. As I said previously, she isn’t trying to rewrite my novel, it’s just been a lot of careful fine tuning. My concern isn’t the fact that she’s wanting to edit it (which I do realize is not typical for an agent to do), but that it seems to be taking a long time. When we are actually working on things, it’s great, but the long pauses between leave me worried.

Dripp

Registered
Reaction score
Even in the slowest of times, it shouldn't take this long. And I'm a ridiculously patient person. I'm sorry you're going through this.

I'd tell her you're seriously considering terminating the contract, though you're sad to have to do so, and explain in very clear language why.

See, now I just don't know again. The slowness is nothing short of painful. As I mentioned a few posts up, I did touch base with her yesterday via email, and it does sound like I should be seeing more edits very soon and that we are at least over what was the largest editing hurdle. I think I will wait and see what happens over the course of the next month and go from there.

I have told her my concerns before, and each time I get told something similar to: Editing takes time, but she doesn't have a whole lot of time because she's the head of the agency. She doesn't typically do this, but feels strongly enough about the potential of my novel that she wants to put the effort in. It is going to take a long time, but good things will come of it.

But there is a lot of "you'll have edits by X date" and then X date comes and goes and then a month or so later I finally see something again. I suppose a certain amount of that is to be expected, but I just don't know exactly where to draw the line. I have no experience to draw from here, I'm only guessing and hoping that sticking it out will be the right thing if that's the route I go.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
You need to talk to her before you do anything else. Let her know your concerns and frustrations.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you're defending your agent, but still aren't sure if this is the right thing to do or not. As others have mentioned, this is way too long to go before you're even on submission. What if the ms. gets outdated? Or worse someone else has your idea first?

I don't care if she sold million figures and has million books under her belt. She's putting yours off like the plague. Your best bet is to part ways and look for another. Even if you don't connect right away, you're in control of it. She doesn't seem to be doing much for you, if not at all. Obviously you know this is wrong. It's up to you to change that and move on.