Juggling two projects and looking for an agent(s)

Maxie16

Registered
Reaction score
I have two projects I'm hoping to do something with. One is a novel that's more or less ready for querying, and the other is a nonfiction history of the Jewish gangster in Chicago.

I'm curious to know others' thoughts or experiences: should I try to find an agent who handles both types of work, or should I treat each project separately and look for someone who seems right for it? The first approach is ideal, of course, but I'm not sure it's as practical.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I think you answered your own question: go for what's ideal. If you can't find an agent who handles both genres, then you can try separate agents.

Oh, btw, it's a good idea to test market your product here. Once you have 50 posts, you can post your query in the Query Letter Hell (QLH) section of SHARE YOUR WORK (SYW) and the first bit of your novel in the appropriate section of SYW.

If you don't want to go that route, you can test drive it, by asking for beta readers. We have a section for that too.

And be sure to read the successful queries in QLH.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If the novel's ready to query, then you query the novel. When and if you get to the point of a phone call with an agent, he or she will ask if you have other things in the works. That's when you bring up the non-fiction book.

Most agents won't want you looking for a separate one, as most agents are "for the career" rather than "for the novel." If a given agent in an agency doesn't handle something, there's likely another agent in the agency who does and who can help out if needed.

Maxie16

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for such quick and thoughtful replies.

Here's another wrinkle: I queried an agent on the nonfiction project a couple of years ago, and he gave me some promising advice. I've applied that to my latest version and would like to be in touch with him again, but he does not represent fiction. He also seems to be a solo agent, so there's no one else in his firm who would obviously handle fiction.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Thanks to both of you for such quick and thoughtful replies.

Here's another wrinkle: I queried an agent on the nonfiction project a couple of years ago, and he gave me some promising advice. I've applied that to my latest version and would like to be in touch with him again, but he does not represent fiction. He also seems to be a solo agent, so there's no one else in his firm who would obviously handle fiction.

What project do you want to spend most of your writing time on?

From what I think I know about querying nonfiction -- the book isn't written yet, right? You just send a proposal. And if someone accepts it, then you write the book?

Or if you want to go the fiction route first, there is a lot of waiting. You could use that time to either write more novels in the series or work on the nonfiction proposals.

I'd personally pursue both projects. Just be aware of the risk that happily, you could be under some killer deadlines to finish the non-fiction book and revise the fiction book at the same time.

But there's a hella lotta downtime in publishing so you may be able to do both just fine.

Try the non-fiction proposal with the non-fiction agent, letting him know if he offers rep that you also have fiction manuscripts.

And in the meantime look for an agency that reps both. But I'd start querying on the fiction novel if it's ready. Why wait? :D Good luck

Maxie16

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Jamie, very much.

I've been thinking about your suggestions for a day or two, and you've helped me get a clearer sense of my options.

Good luck to you,

Maxie

rac

Registered
Reaction score
But I'd start querying on the fiction novel if it's ready. Why wait? :D Good luck

If it's your first novel, make sure it's as ready and polished as you can make it. Most agents aren't interested in the unfinished manuscripts of first-time novelists. If you have a strong non-fiction book proposal, you might want to go with it. If you're successful, it's likely your agent will continue to represent you. There's nothing like success as a motivator! Good luck!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
First look for agents who would rep both. Query them (when ready).

Then look for agents who would rep one or the other. You can query them at the same time or focus on one and then focus on the other.

If you get an offer of rep, mention the other project. They might be willing to take it on, they might not be. If they aren't, they will probably be okay with you finding a separate agent for that project, especially when going from fiction to non-fiction or vice versa.

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Then look for agents who would rep one or the other. You can query them at the same time or focus on one and then focus on the other.

But just don't send two queries in one email, or two queries on two different projects to the same agent.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
But just don't send two queries in one email, or two queries on two different projects to the same agent.
Well, actually in the part you're quoting, the agents for each project would be different, so that wouldn't be a problem

But for the agents who would rep both, yes, only send one query at a time, focusing on only one project