Is this a bad idea?

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just about finished with my last round of revisions, and I'm starting to get very itchy to query. I've already put the MS down for chunks of time and come back to it, and I've had a couple of betas read it too, so I'm feeling pretty OK that this is the last go-through for the time being (although not sure if I'll ever really feel done).

But here's my dilemma. I've got a baby due (my second, so hopefully not quite so overwhelming) at the end of June and I'm concerned about timing if I started querying now. I know there's no way of predicting what kind of interest I'll get or how much time things will take, but I guess my main concern is this: What if I got a R&R right when the baby was born and couldn't turn it around quickly? Is that a dealbreaker? Or is it something an agent would be sympathetic to? Or would they think I was an idiot for timing it so badly?

Anyway, bit of a long question. Thanks for any and all advice!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I know there's no way of predicting what kind of interest I'll get or how much time things will take, but I guess my main concern is this: What if I got a R&R right when the baby was born and couldn't turn it around quickly? Is that a dealbreaker? Or is it something an agent would be sympathetic to? Or would they think I was an idiot for timing it so badly?
I would expect the agent to understand. And if not, then would you want such an unsympathetic agent?

RKLipman

Seasoned Veteran of Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ricklipman.com
I don't generally think of R&Rs as particularly fast/deadline-specific things. So I wouldn't worry much about it, if I were you.

And congratulations! :)

Determination

Is watching you
Registered
Reaction score
If you are confident that your manuscript is the best it can be I say query away. They'll always be something that might come up or a reason to put off sending. Holidays, vacations, illnesses etc. I would just make sure you have your manuscript in the proper format, ready to go if you get a request for a partial or full. If, for some crazy reason, you are asked for revisions around the time of your delivery I'm sure it won't hurt to email the agent and let them know. Something along the lines of 'I'm giving birth tomorrow, I hope you understand there may be a week or two delay'. Reality is that this is a slow business and you are probably worrying about nothing. Even if you get a request for a full, chances are that the agent won't have even read it by June ;)

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend who was in that situation with an R&R. The agent was more than patient. When I signed with my agent, I got pregnant a month later, and she was supportive and patient when I was slowed down by a pregnancy from hell.

More than anything, don't query the book too soon. Make sure it's done and revised until it shines. If it's ready to query, then query.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard they don't really want R&Rs returned quickly. If the problems are deep enough for an R&R they'll take a few months to fix anyhow. I know of one case where an agent signed an author after two R&Rs, each went for nearly a year.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Go for it, IMO. An agent who requests an R&R is not doing so lightly--they have real interest in working with and potentially representing you. If the timing just happened to coincide with the birth, I'm sure they'd understand (and if they're a jerk about it, you don't want to work with them anyway).

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
I agree that if they aren't cool with a bit of a delay because the author's just had a BABY, they're the kind of jerk you don't really want to deal with anyway. Best of luck with the querying and the baby! :)

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else -- they'll most likely be sympathetic, and if they aren't, you probably wouldn't want to work with them anyway.

Also, about R&Rs... I had one that went on for about a year. A quick turnaround on an R&R is not something the agent wants. They want the revision to be extremely thorough and well-written.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
First, congratulations on the little bundle of joy! :) That's wonderful.

Second, and I know I'm in the minority here, I'd hold off for a bit. Babies can be challenging, and there's plenty of time to query. There's no rush, is there? I'd wait a few months till I was sleeping again. But that's just me.

I queried when I was getting ready to move, which was not easy. Not the same, I know, but it was hard! I got an agent pretty much immediately and wound up doing revisions while moving 1100 miles away. It wasn't the best way to do it.

Either way, good luck! :)