Should I send time writing or revising?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Should I spend time writing new stories or going back and revising older pieces? I had done the W1S1 weekly challenge for over a year and produced a lot of material. While I got some encouraging rejections at times, they were still rejections. And I think I got a little burnt out by it. I never stopped writing even if I slowed down a bit. The thing is anyone who writes a story a week will get better. Much better. I have developed a style and I am aware of what I do well and where I struggle.

I feel like a could go back now and rewrite everything, making my work stand a better chance of getting published. I am a little hesitant to send out new stories because I worry I will be able to make them better if I give them some time. My goal is to be published in literary journals. I just don't know the quickest route to get there. The old stuff or the new stuff?

I know there is no quick way to get short stories published. Responses take forever. I think I am just trying to decide how to put my best foot forward. And how best to spend by time in order to do that. I'm hoping some of you can weigh in on this. Thanks.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Given that there's a typo in your subject heading for the thread, I'd say revising would be a good idea :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
New stories. Unless an editor asks for a specific rewrite on an old story, then spending time on old stories, as tempting as it may be, is usually just a complete waste of time. You'll get where you want to go faster by spending as much time as possible writing new stories.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I'm with William on this one, revising is clearly the best bet. Not only didn't you catch the typo in your thread title, from what you have said you also have a high volume backlist of stories possibly in need of polish. Polish them till they shine and send them out again.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the typo. Typos are not usually my problem. By revising I mean a real overhaul of the stories to bring them up to the level I write at now. Thanks, guys.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
James -- this question is for you, but anyone can answer. I have a story that was shown to an editor by another writer without me knowing. I am totally fine with that especially since the editor said I should send her the story again after I revise it. There were no directions from her as to what needed revision, but she did say it was the kind of thing they look for. What would you do in this situation? I don't feel like I can ask what she meant. A few months have passed. But this story is probably one I should go back to even it it is the only one I go back to, right?

Lironah

Space Cadet
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joanalbright.net
I make sure to do some of each every week. However, keep in mind that rewriting is still writing. If you've had your eyes off a piece for long enough that you can see the flaws in it to fix them, there's no reason to put it off.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
This is probably entirely unhelpful but I'm inclined to respond to your question with a question. Where is your passion? Do you have new stories demanding to get out of your head or do some of those old stories tug on your heartstrings? If it's the former then move on. If it's the latter then go back.

Maybe it's a combination of the two.

I've always considered dead stories as the ones where you go back to them and whatever drive you had to write them, whatever connection, is no longer there. In that case I don't try to revive them because all I'll get is something out of The Walking Dead. It won't be pretty and it will eat the brain of whoever reads it. Some of my stories, though, I want to revisit many times over. Each time I read them is like returning to an old friend. Those stories are the ones worth revising because you can explore new dimensions.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with William on this one, revising is clearly the best bet. Not only didn't you catch the typo in your thread title, from what you have said you also have a high volume backlist of stories possibly in need of polish. Polish them till they shine and send them out again.

I can't tell you how strongly I disagree with this. Most stories need to be revised/rewritten/edited initially, but once you've done this, leave them the heck alone and move on to the next story. Spending time screwing around with old stories is usually why writers never sell new stories. They just don't know when to let go and move on.

If an editor asks for a revision, then revise, but you gain nothing by spending time on a backlog of stories. If a writer can make stories shine, he doesn't need to ask about revising, and until and unless he gets an editorial request for a specific revision that will make that editor like it, any revision he makes is highly unlikely to be an improvement.

It's writing story after story that gets a writer published, that lets him learn to write stories that actually do shine.

I don't think anything is as important as Heinlein's Rules, as explained by Robert J. Sawyer. http://www.sfwriter.com/ow05.htm

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
This is going to be something only you can answer for yourself.

If I had that much of a back catalogue, I would spend some time polishing and preparing the stories I have. It takes me several passes at a story before it's ready for prime time, and even then, I'll let them sit and percolate for a while before making my final revisions.

Some people may get more productivity from moving on to new stories, but if your mind works like mine, you're not free to really create something new until you've made your existing work as good as you can make it.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I can't tell you how strongly I disagree with this. Most stories need to be revised/rewritten/edited initially, but once you've done this, leave them the heck alone and move on to the next story. Spending time screwing around with old stories is usually why writers never sell new stories. They just don't know when to let go and move on.

If an editor asks for a revision, then revise, but you gain nothing by spending time on a backlog of stories. If a writer can make stories shine, he doesn't need to ask about revising, and until and unless he gets an editorial request for a specific revision that will make that editor like it, any revision he makes is highly unlikely to be an improvement.

It's writing story after story that gets a writer published, that lets him learn to write stories that actually do shine.

I don't think anything is as important as Heinlein's Rules, as explained by Robert J. Sawyer. http://www.sfwriter.com/ow05.htm

Disagree as much as you want, but to me it sounded like the OP was sending out first drafts with proof reading to catch typos and the like. Which means they haven't been working on their revising skills. If that is the case, which is the impression I have gotten, then revising is likely their best bet.

It isn't like I'm saying they can't write new material, but more that while that sits for a bit they should look back at their older work. If something seems particularly interesting and they feel it isn't up to par, then they should revise it.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you should pick one of the stories you like best and put it up in SYW? It could help identify areas to focus on--plus people here can give better advice if they get a sense of where your skills are right now.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
My skills are pretty good. I have a long background as a writer. Journalist for 10+ years. In recent years, I have been writing fiction. Now, I am getting my MFA. My first drafts are pretty clean. And the newer stuff is better than the older stuff.

However, a few months ago, I rewrote my first short story. I kept the characters, location and idea, opened a new word document and wrote a whole new story. The POV and plot completely changed. I like the new version a lot. The old one is not worth wasting an editor's time with. So I can see how major revisions can work. At the same time, I don't think my new stories need that. I am pretty happy with what I am putting out. I don't know how much of that is them being new and how much of it is that I have improved. It is probably a little of both.

I am taking a revision class where we basically have to write the same story three times. I'm struggling with this. I rather write three new stories.

When you guys revise do you basically rewrite your story? In my class, we have learned the difference between revision and polishing. My stories have always been polished before I submit them. Revision feels like a lot of work and I'm not always sure it is worth it. It takes just as much time, if not longer, to revise a piece as it does to write a new one.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like a cool class. That type of intensive revision really gives you a chance to look at your characters and the mechanics of your story in depth. You'll also gain a much deeper understanding of your strengths and weaknesses as a writer. It's an invaluable skill.

As you can see, I'm a big fan of revisions. (Yes, I do essentially rewrite my stories.)

At the same time, I agree that it is time consuming and, since no story can ever be perfect, at some point you have to move on. That's why I think people should follow their interests. Sometimes you'll revise and sometimes you'll create.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I basicly transcribe the previous version with the changes I want to make, so the story isn't actually a different one. Keeping the old one near let's me see where I originally intended to go, and keeps me on the same path. For me, I want to make the story the best it can be, not write an entirely new one without any connection between the two. If I wanted to write an entirely new one I would just write a different story, not revise something I already wrote.

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Revising has helped me learn and improve. Maybe just writing new stuff more often would do the same or even be a better approach. Couldn't say. Wouldn't be the first time I'm going about things all wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.