Books: What are you reading today?

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
If you don't like downer books, better stay away from Journey to the End of the Night, or a lot of Vonnegut. I tend to like them, as everywhere else in our mass media but books -- and even in most books -- the message for by far the most part relentlessly cheery, even to the point of being oblivious. A little lemon and vinegar keep the sugar from being cloying.

Perscribo

Pound cake.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.perscribo.com
I didn't say I didn't like downer books. I said this one didn't seem honest. Without any sugar at all it's cloyingly bitter. For one, I don't think his parents could have been that terrible. However, trying to defend this stance could be akin to battling an angry drunk.

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
There are many parents just as bad, trust me. We were a foster family when I was a kid, and we got all their leftover kids after they abused and abandoned them. There is no limit whatever to human greed, evil, or simply neglect. Whatever can even be imagined has been done countless times. To me it's all in the telling.

Perscribo

Pound cake.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.perscribo.com
Sorry...I obviously didn't mean to insinuate YOU were drunk with your opinion...maybe I don't know how to communicate it, but the complete lack of compassion of nearly all the characters (with the exception of the nurse that was helping him) seemed almost surreal--like their descriptions were coming from his head instead of what he actually experienced. Maybe "hope" is the wrong word, too. Something was missing. Most writers render at least a little bit of humanity into their characters even when they're evil. It makes their tragedy more poignant. It's probably just his style that I'm not used to. Very one-sided. It's like his stubbornness is coming through his work. I do like the writing and he definitely has his moments where the poet in him shines through. For that reason alone I'll likely read the rest of his novels. Perhaps then I can articulate this "style" of his I'm getting at a little better.

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
I downloaded it on my kindle when it was on sale a while back. I've been looking forward to reading it, and your remarks on it actually make me want to read it more. It sounds like he didn't fail to inject passion into his story.

Sometimes I think we can be thrown for a loop due to lifelong expectations built up in the storytelling we've been allowed to see following such strict conventions. Always the happy ending, romance shoe-horned in however possible even when entirely silly, every situation with its silver linings and every character with a secret heart of gold. The truth is that some stories are just sad, and popular culture tends to protect us from that. Some characters, in real life too, really do follow stereotypes right out of a comic book. The truth is, in real life, the hero usually dies.

I find many stories inherently more interesting when they follow the true, rather than imagined, roundedness of life -- that it has all sorts of dimensions and trajectories, that the entrants continue after the winner has been declared, that many consequences last rather than being ephemeral products of the mind that are essentially no more than mere trite manifestations of willpower and attitude, including the consequences -- and people -- we shield ourselves from by thinking too little about, thus protectively narrowing our world and thereby our souls.

Perscribo

Pound cake.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.perscribo.com
I might still be coming to terms with how incredibly sad it really is. I can actually see how his skin condition would put up that extra barrier so many people (afflicted with images of beautiful faces and ignorance) couldn't get past, but the fact that his own mother didn't champion him is most heartbreaking to me. An all-too-prevalent story that IS hard for readers like me to swallow. Perhaps it's too honest, and his Russian grandmother did bury all of them, lol.

Perscribo

Pound cake.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.perscribo.com
Oh and it never even occurred to me how he was afflicted with all sorts of prejudice (and still more ignorance) because he was born in Germany.

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
but the fact that his own mother didn't champion him is most heartbreaking to me. An all-too-prevalent story that IS hard for readers like me to swallow. Perhaps it's too honest, and his Russian grandmother did bury all of them, lol.

That's a very common story too. I had an abusive father, for one, and my mother didn't protect me either. I've read cops talking about even extreme cases, saying that as long as a check is coming in, a lot of families will put up with anything.

Perscribo

Pound cake.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.perscribo.com
I'm very sorry to hear that. While I know in most of those situations the mother isn't able to stop the beatings--I still was hoping there would be SOME kind of exchange between Chinaski and his mother to prove, at the very least, there was affection there. I know that's probably being too hopeful, too. When women are weak like that it makes me angry, because the ripple effect is so much more severe than if she were wasting away her own life. Gracelessness can be much worse than the violence. But, you're right. It's probably all he felt needed to be written--and is probably truer than most readers with rose-colored spectacles like to believe. Definitely a book that stays on my mind long after I've read it.

Perscribo

Pound cake.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.perscribo.com
The second book was a stray that I saw shelved in the wrong section of the library. I knew, when I saw the title, that I had to check it out. :D

Bukowski's Women
Vonnegut's Welcome To The Monkey House

Perscribo

Pound cake.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.perscribo.com
Bukowski's Women

While not the most perfectly stitched together, I can't help admire this book. Hilarious in some parts. Poetic in others. In-between, it's just a dirty soap opera. One of my favorite passages is when he is reflecting on the company of another poet-friend:

"It made me feel low that I couldn't praise him without reservation. But then if you lied to a man about his talent just because he was sitting across from you, that was the most unforgivable lie of them all, because that was telling him to go on, to waste his life, finally. But many people did just that, friends and relatives mostly."

Thank goodness AbsoluteWrite is not like that. :)

I almost put the book down after his first real screw up; when he watched and did nothing as that incompetent redhead (I forget her name--as I started to forget many of their names later in the book) locked her six year old daughter into a house by herself so they could hop a plane to a reading in NY. I soon got over it. It was the mother in me striking again in a visceral and and angry way. Chinaski is no hero. All in the name of research? No way. All in the name of twisted, live-and-let-die love? I can see that.

Chinaski was lucky he ended up (settling?--never!) with a broad who pushed organic meals on him, probably prolonging his life and liver another few decades.

Will come back to the monkey house after I publish another volume of Carroll.

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
You know, how do I even dare to criticize someone like Charles Dickens? I was required to read the book when I was in something like 6th or 7th grade. The only thing I remembered from that first required reading was Ms. Havisham and all her dust and cobwebs. That's pretty much it. For some reason, the book had been haunting and "calling me" to read it....I know, weird.....but I went and found a used copy and just finished it. I'm no one to say, but I found it "went on" in some areas and was boring. But, I have to say that I like reading what I call to be be "old English". It puts me in a certain frame of mind. I just wrote my first story and I'm seriously lacking in character development. Of course, Charles Dickens is extremely descriptive of his characters, so maybe it was to help me see deeper into my characters. I made the mistake of telling my story mostly through my characters dialogue and it seems all my critiques called me up for it. I like it, though. I tend to get bored with too much character descriptors, but that's me. Otherwise, it, of course is a great story and well worth reading. I'm not sorry that I did, but I did get bored in some places.

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
I usually get bored in places. It's the overall balance that's important to me, and whether I can find any stand-out moments.

Re dialogue vs. description, too much or too little of anything can be unbalancing. I think with description, it's the type of description that matters.

Description, so to speak, is the essence of the "heist" movie and its most fun sequences. You see something really interesting happening and can't take your eyes away from the screen for a second. Description of some dullard doing approximately nothing, on the other hand -- for a long, long time -- or of irrelevant background details, begins to grate.

Same with uninteresting people talking, or people talking about uninteresting things. Look at almost any of the famous Christopher Walken appearances, though. They're all dialogue, and they're mesmerizing. They can be quite long. And they can make a movie, pretty much all by themselves.

So it's more how well it is done, than what it is, IMO.

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I just went to a poetry workshop at the local library led by Oregon's reappointed poet laureate, Paulann Petersen. It was a lot of fun. I met some interesting people and joined a local writers group I hadn't known existed, though I've searched for one more than once. I'll be checking them out soon. Another group formed up after the workshop with the intent of giving readings, and I signed up for that.

I didn't know what would be involved, so I brought down a bunch of my poems just in case. Turns out we each crafted two poems on the spot after building up a backlog of images to draw from. Some surprisingly interesting poems were written in very short order, and there were far more people than I expected to see.

I bought one of Paulann's books as a courtesy for her leading the free workshop. She had a few out there, but what sold me on her book "A Bride of Narrow Escape" was the snippet of a review on the back that said the book engaged with the poet's issues of having her parents die. Talking to her during a break, she told me her mother had Alzheimers, and I told her about the problems my own elderly father was having and how hard it was to deal with it, including how hard it was to deal with it on the artistic level by writing poetry about it. It was a three-hour session, but there wasn't much time to talk.

I wrote a complete short poem there, and started off on another one. Paulann went from table to table seeing if anyone wanted to read, and I volunteered. I started off in a clear strong voice so people could hear (I couldn't hear half the poems being read out in whispered voices, and didn't want people to hear only bits and pieces). I ended up shaking in my boots as I got hit by a sudden bout of nervous self-consciousness. I can give a talk to employees, and used to give speeches well enough, but I have never done a reading of any "creative" work before. At least not since college creative writing classes. So I sweated blood. But there was healthy applause and someone told me they liked the poem after the session was done. All in all, despite my dreadful sudden flash of crippling, bowel-pulverizing nervousness, it was a good idea to read, because one day, who knows, it might matter that I can do it without swallowing my tongue.

All in all a fun and worthwhile experience. I look forward to reading the book. I read a postcard-sized(large postcard-sized) insert she stuck into the book for me while I was scribbling away which had another poem on it. Very nice, with a really nice end, and it made me happier I had decided to buy her book.

kdnxdr

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
The Captive Mind
Czeslaw Milosz
Translated from the Polish 1955
Chapter One of this book, "The Pill of Murti-Bing," originally published in the Partisan Review, September-October 1951, under the title "The Happiness Pill."

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
I read that book long ago. It seems to have become all but forgotten, but it was a great read. And I don't usually associate with the implied politics readily. I loved the bits about the political uses of art and the vicious dissection of people who traded conscience and art for security and approbation.

kdnxdr

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
I like reading stories that attempt to take the reader to a place where things are "as usual" but the 'affect of transition', which can be so subtle, is demonstrated in such a way, one realizes that it can happen anywhere to anyone, particularly regarding the loss of well being.

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
Just finished Jeff Strand's new book, "Bad Day for Voodoo." It's a YA book with (duh) supernatural elements. Here's my review on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R5WXQW...007SOL2BM&nodeID=133140011&store=digital-text

Also reading an anthology of dragon short stories.

Before that, read a short book about serial killer H.H. Holmes:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R17NIQRIQ5PX8C/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

Been very sick the last three weeks so haven't been reading much lately. No presence of mind, could rarely even make it through a movie. Just starting to snap out of it in the last week. Aborted a few reading projects because of it, but hope to be clear enough to pick them back up soon.

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
I am reading "Henry James A Life" by Leon Edel, and, "John James Audubon - The making of an American" by Richard Rhodes.