The Novel Challenge Hub

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
You ready to write? Champing at the bit to get those novels out into the world? Of course you are.

This here is your check-in and update page. Tell us all about how you're progressing, what challenges you're facing, what awesome stuff you've accomplished.

If your goals change, let us know. If you need a hug, let us know. A kick? Likewise. Just need somewhere to rest for a minute or two before leaping back into the novel pool? Here be the place!

:welcome: one and all, to the novel challenge. You are the first of many. Trailblazers, pioneers, just plain awesome.

Write long and prosper!

Last edited:

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
i'll start! i'm excited because my first project for the challenge was a revision based on some agent feedback. but when i made that goal, it was just feedback, not a request to see a revision. but i wrote to the agent and asked if she'd consider looking at the revision and just heard back from her in the affirmative. woo-hoo!

also, i picked up a couple books at the library this morning for research on my WIP.

JenniferB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingcocoon.blogspot.com
Yay! It is going to be a good year in writing, I can feel it. (Good to record the optimism for future reference from the pit of despair).

I'm going to finish up outlining the scenes I'm planning to write tomorrow. Trying a new process for NaNo this year. Well, actually, trying a process, period.

Last year I had absolutely no idea what was going to happen in my novel past the first chapter - I woke up every day and wrote whatever flew into my head. Rough going.

I've got my main plot scenes outlined, basic character sketches, I've made general notes for my first chapter and I even have some drawings and photos I've found, pasted into my files for inspiration. Ready to write in 4.5 hours!

@JoyMC - that's excellent news from the agent!

JenniferB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingcocoon.blogspot.com
Oh man. I've got a battle ahead of me. I didn't finish my edits on Dreadlight. :( So I will be editing at least an hour a day and writing at LEAST two hours a day to get my 3k a day goal.

It's gonna be intense.

I'm facing a similar schedule. I didn't finish my revision of my WIP1, so I'll be editing WIP1 and writing WIP2 for NaNo in November. I like to make things more difficult than they should be.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I'm focusing on finishing up the fifth draft of the novel-in-progress. It's right at 20k right now. I figure by the end of November I should have the rest of it written.

Assuming I don't get dragged under by the lingering cold-like-illness-of-doom that's been plaguing me this past week.

Aggy, who heard the words "pus" and "your throat" in the same sentence this afternoon >_<

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to Joy! :snoopy:

Big hugs to Jennifer, bettielee, and Aggy. :Hug2:

I made a chocolate run to the Russell Stover Outlet on Saturday, so I'm stocked up and working on finishing up my outline today.

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
Oh man. I've got a battle ahead of me. I didn't finish my edits on Dreadlight. :( So I will be editing at least an hour a day and writing at LEAST two hours a day to get my 3k a day goal.

It's gonna be intense.

I'm facing a similar schedule. I didn't finish my revision of my WIP1, so I'll be editing WIP1 and writing WIP2 for NaNo in November. I like to make things more difficult than they should be.

Well, it's good to know I'm not the only crazy one :D
Happy writing everyone!

And Joy, that's fabulous news!

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Congrats to Joy! :snoopy:

Big hugs to Jennifer, bettielee, and Aggy. :Hug2:

I made a chocolate run to the Russell Stover Outlet on Saturday, so I'm stocked up and working on finishing up my outline today.

*hugs back*

One too many 'ups' in the previous post. I think I read that's a side-effect of chocolate.

It's ok. We don't judge here. :)

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
My mind has been working on a rewrite and refocus, so that's my goal!

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
General outline done; I'm working on a scene outline of start/end points (which necessitates at least an idea of what goes in between). It won't be done by tomorrow, but I'm at least ahead of what I need tomorrow. Shooting for a 90K(ish) finished draft in November. I also have a Sekrit Santa story to write in that time -- outlined and ready to go.

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
My goal is to just write something every night. I'm not aiming for numbers...well, I guess something more than 0...but just to keep the ball rolling.

As a single dad with a young daughter, gotta make time when I can. Usually after her bed time and before mine. But it'll be fun.

Best of luck to one and all! :D

Ovid9

Professional Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
I start writing in 2.5 hours. I still am not sure what my basic plot is. :Shrug:

Oh well, that never has stopped me from trying!

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
Good to see so many people hanging out already! My novel is at 65k right now and I'm going to take part in NaNo (as a Rebel) to finish the draft. After putting the manuscript on the back burner this January, cutting 30k of the manuscript to fix plot issues, and focusing on short fiction for several months, I'm ready to finish this draft for once and for all!

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ummm. Well. 1000 words in, I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm starting to suspect that vampires might be involved somewhere.

I'm going to have to put a stop to that, even if it's just turning them into kinky blood fetishists.

Meh.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
1,050 words on new novel. Different to the novel i was going to write, but this idea just came a-calling and i'm going to go with it for now and see where it goes :D

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
This is my first year doing NaNo, and I can't wait to get started.

I've been in a writing slump for over a year now (as far as new material goes), so I'm looking forward to throwing my Inner Editor into the kennel and getting down to uninhibited writing for a change. This'll be fun!

Good luck, everyone!

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
Hmph. Need more coffee.

You know the feeling where the novel you were writing just changes on a hairpin? That is what just happened.

I have demons. And a secret order. And I don't really know why I have demons and a secret order, except that I was bored, and the secret order is there to fight the demons.

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Haven't started nanoing yet... tonight. :) I'm actually thinking of a goal of 1500 words on a "new" project and at least 250 on the WIP... we'll see if that's tenable.

Agonyzer

Writer, enthusiast, semipope
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm not doing this NaNo style, I'm shooting for a year. All that means is that I don't feel quite as far behind as some.

I was hoping to finish an outline yesterday, but in fact there's been so much research that it's barely begun. That's okay- I've got a year.

Good luck and good words everyone!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Like Agonyzer, I've given myself a year to finish the WIP, and like a few of you, it's a work I'd already started. I'm 41K words in. But I'm facing the most difficult part now. And looking forward to it.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Got off to slow start--almost 3 hours of "white screen paralysis". Now, calling it a day with 1,207 words for a novel which, like Izz's experience, is not the one I started with.