Curling

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I watched a curling match tonight between the national women's teams from the U.S. and Japan. A couple oif years ago i watched Olympic curling matches and found them peculiarly fascinating. Quite enjoyed it, and would like to see more.

Four or five years ago I spent a couple of weeks fortnight driving all over in British Columbia, and discovered that every town of any size had a big curling rink. This sport is unheard of, pretty much, in the U.S., and it's kind of sad. More people should know about it.

That all said, the grinning dark demon on my left shoulder wants to see, in a sporting event, a fight among curling players. Or maybe a goaltender in golf.

Oh, yeah, and i learned that curling stones are made from granite found in only one quarry in Scotland, and cost something like $1000 apiece.

Sweep, sweep, ya bastards, sweep!

caw

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I watched a curling match tonight between the national women's teams from the U.S. and Japan. A couple oif years ago i watched Olympic curling matches and found them peculiarly fascinating. Quite enjoyed it, and would like to see more.

Four or five years ago I spent a couple of weeks fortnight driving all over in British Columbia, and discovered that every town of any size had a big curling rink. This sport is unheard of, pretty much, in the U.S., and it's kind of sad. More people should know about it.

That all said, the grinning dark demon on my left shoulder wants to see, in a sporting event, a fight among curling players. Or maybe a goaltender in golf.

Oh, yeah, and i learned that curling stones are made from granite found in only one quarry in Scotland, and cost something like $1000 apiece.

Sweep, sweep, ya bastards, sweep!

caw

Curling is awesome. It's a thing, though a minor one, in the northeast. I know some people, including teens, in curling leagues.

The reason Canadian curlers don't fight is that *whisper* uhm... curling is often accompanied by hot adult beverages. It's a cheerful sport. :)

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
The other really cool thing is that the quarry is on this wee lump of rock in the Firth of Clyde (I've stood up on top of it.)

Ailsa-GG-MAIN-Resized.jpg

Last edited:

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I love curling! I've been seeing matches on NBCSN that I just added to my tv satellite favorites. :e2woo:

Believe it or not, about a couple years ago, I was in the library researching in the small town of Lander, Wyoming. I was going through their huge stash of old newspapers. I can't recall the decade, 1950s-1970s??, when I happend upon an article about the curling facility and the curling teams! I about fell over. Needless to say the facility is gone.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you ever get a chance, rent "Men With Brooms." It's a truly hilarious, if understated comedy about curling. And very Canadian.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
The Tournament of Hearts is on right now, though I think we are on the playoffs. Val Sweeting's run has been something until yesterday. Her win over Team Canada was a bit perplexing. especially as it came down to the last hammer. Looked like pits were forming in Swift Current though. Seen a few rocks go sideways. :(

Last edited: