Bibliographies

Deleted member 42

What do y'all think re: the utility of fiction bibs?

By that, I mean book lists, fiction, possibly organized by genre, with queer/other QLTBAG characters as more than walk-ons (or corpses)?

If people think this is a good idea/useful -- i.e. as models, and as obvious refutation of "No one will read a book with X in it"--I'll compile lists if y'all will send me author title ISBN publisher, or as much as you've got.

If this is daft, though, tell me.

It's just I know in academe I'm still seeing Well of Loneliness shoved into young women's hands . . .

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
The second most-important character of Stephen King's Cell is a gay man. He's pretty heroic. I won't ruin the book by saying whether or not he survives, but I will say he's a very central character.

EDIT: Stephen Colbert brings it up in an interview with him. :)

Deleted member 42

The second most-important character of Stephen King's Cell is a gay man. He's pretty heroic. I won't ruin the book by saying whether or not he survives, but I will say he's a very central character.

EDIT: Stephen Colbert brings it up in an interview with him. :)

Link?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
James Allen Gardener has a good list of strong bi characters (can't remember if anyone is out n' out gay...or...straight, actually. Everyone seems to be pretty open) in his League of People's stories: Expendable, Vigilant, Trapped, Ascending, and Radiant.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-co...-16-2009/better-know-a-stephen---stephen-king

It's at about 3:30.

EDIT: Oh, and the main character in one of the more recent short stories is an older gay man, but I don't remember the name of the story. And the priest from Salem's Lot shows up in the later Dark Tower books as one of the major group (and the only one with divine powers), and he's either gay or bisexual. (He runs away in Salem's Lot, but specifically becomes a courageous hero again because he loves a man who gets attacked by a vampire.)

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any non-heroic gay characters in SK's novels.

Last edited:

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
The main character of the film "The Night Listener" is gay, and his recently-ended relationship is a minor subplot. Not a book, but hey, there it is.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
The main character of the film "The Night Listener" is gay, and his recently-ended relationship is a minor subplot. Not a book, but hey, there it is.

Based on a novel (by Armistead Maupin). I haven't read it, so can't comment how close to the book the film is, but given that it's Maupin I'd imagine the protagonist's gayness probably is in the book. (Anyone notice that Robin Williams doesn't seem to have a problem playing gay characters?)

I started that LGBT thread in the YA forum, that Kitty linked to. Give me a few days and I'll dig up the ISBNs etc. The list of US-published books is noticeably longer than the UK-published ones...which does make me a little nervous as I've just written a LGBT YA novel and will be starting to submit it in 2010, all going well.

Deleted member 42

Thanks guys. I'll start compiling the list. I'll probably create a static Web page on the main Web site, because of post size problems, then put a link in a sticky at the top of this thread.

So please keep listing.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Some obvious examples (and two of my favorite books) although they're not exactly current ...

Maurice by E.M Forster.
Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh.

Oh, and Jeanette Winterson should probably get her own page, but Oranges are Not the Only Fruit is a British classic.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Armistead Maupin, author of the Tales of the City series, wrote it, based on a true story that happened to him.

In fact, the two novels he's written outside of the series actually do overlap into it; Anna, the character played by Sandra Oh in the movie of The Night Listener, was born at the end of Tales of the City and grew up during the series. Ned Lockwood, a small-but-important-best-friend role in Further Tales of the City, had a brief walk-on, I believe, in Maupin's first post-Tales novel Maybe The Moon.

In fact, here's the list of Maupin's novels:
Tales of the City
More Tales of the City
Further Tales of the City
Babycakes
Significant Others
Sure of You
Maybe The Moon
The Night Listener
Michael Tolliver Lives!

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Joe Keenan's Philip and Gilbert trilogy: Blue Heaven, Putting on the Ritz, and My Lucky Star.

What Happened to Mr. Forster? by Gary W. Bargar. It's a YA/MG novel about a boy living in Kansas in 1958 who finds out his favorite teacher is gay.

Deleted member 42

If Y'all have a genre for a book, do please include that, otherwise I'll just call it fiction.

HelloKiddo

bemused observer
Registered
Reaction score
If this is daft, though, tell me.

Not daft at all. In fact, I was thinking of starting a thread myself to ask for recommendations, so you've saved me the trouble :)

For my contribution I only know of two, both of which are pretty obvious choices. But that's what I got.

Orlando by Virginia Woolf (Does this one count?)
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

Genre--literary?

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Farthing", "Ha'penny", and "Half a Crown" by Jo Walton--spec fic: alternate history

"River of Gods" and "Cyberabad Days" by Ian McDonald--SF

Not_Laura

New, but feel free
Registered
Reaction score
Oh man, I could list books for pages (and will, if you really want me to), but here are a few off the top of my head...
Fiction:
The Passion (Jeanette Winterson)
Written on the Body (Jeanette Winterson)
This Place (Andrea Freud Loewenstein)
Zami (Audre Lourde)
Rubyfruit Jungle (Rita Mae Brown)
SF:
The Female Man (Joanna Russ)
Passing for Human (Jody Scott)
The Year Seven (Molleen Zanger)

By the way, I posted my query letter draft in SYW tonight, if anyone wants to go take a look. The title is THREE.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
One I read recently - Pages for You by Sylvia Brownrigg. (Literary/mainstream)

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
by E. Lynn Harris:
Basketball Jones
I Say A Little Prayer
Just As I Am
Invisible Life

Kitty Pryde